JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do I figure out if my .44 rem mag has enough energy to take down elk?, My gut say's inside 100yds probably be ok..(all about shot placement), Do I need a chronograph to figure it out? 225grn. leverevolution out of a 16-1/4" barrel. I'm on the fence about it??, any help greatly appreciated..thanks, Blane

Sounds like you're using a short barreled rifle. With a good bullet, you should be fine to 100-125 yards. trainsktg's recommendation is a good one.

I took this doe with a 180 grain hollow point two weeks ago in the willamette unit. In a rib and out the spine (shooting from below) with bone fragment and impact damage to one lung. 75 yards with Redhawk.

While a hollow point will blow through a deer with plenty of damage, I doubt you will achieve this with a body shot on an elk. A head or neck shot would get the job done and a hard cast bullet would certainly provide more penetration into the body.

2F9E2248-F7CB-403F-843C-5606FB3EC38E-1460-0000017F0579A91B_zpsc322d389.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR