JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do I figure out if my .44 rem mag has enough energy to take down elk?, My gut say's inside 100yds probably be ok..(all about shot placement), Do I need a chronograph to figure it out? 225grn. leverevolution out of a 16-1/4" barrel. I'm on the fence about it??, any help greatly appreciated..thanks, Blane

Sounds like you're using a short barreled rifle. With a good bullet, you should be fine to 100-125 yards. trainsktg's recommendation is a good one.

I took this doe with a 180 grain hollow point two weeks ago in the willamette unit. In a rib and out the spine (shooting from below) with bone fragment and impact damage to one lung. 75 yards with Redhawk.

While a hollow point will blow through a deer with plenty of damage, I doubt you will achieve this with a body shot on an elk. A head or neck shot would get the job done and a hard cast bullet would certainly provide more penetration into the body.

2F9E2248-F7CB-403F-843C-5606FB3EC38E-1460-0000017F0579A91B_zpsc322d389.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads