JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up some 165gr JHP Zero bullets but data for the 165 is pretty limited. Hodgon's website lists 7.3gr to 8.0gr max when using HS-6 powder. My 4 reloading manuals don't even list the 165gr bullet. I snooped on the net and found loads ranging from 6.4 to 8.0. This will be my first load with out two or more sources of data.

Does anyone have some experience with HS-6 and 165's? I plan to load 5rounds of the following charges: 7.0, 7.3, 7.5, and 7.7. These will be loaded in once frd brass, CCI SP primers, Lee crimped and COL 1.127 - 1.130in. Oh and the pistol is a 3.9in Sig 229.

Thanks for any help, I'm just looking to kill paper and avoid pistol parts in my face.

My Speer 14 book lists for TMJ FN and GDHP, HS-6 8.0-8.5grns for a 4" barrel, giving 1012-1060fps respectively, OAL 1.120. I've loaded and shot that 8.0 in a 5" CZ75, with 165gr Raineer FP, it seemed pretty snappy but not excessive in my limited experience. I found it strange that the data for a 155 lists 7.3gr-9.0gr, with 786-1033fps. A lower starting charge for a lighter bullet?? I've settled on 7.6gr of HS-6 under Montana Gold JHPs. From rest, I can keep five rounds inside 2", i'm pretty much done working up anything else, happy with what I've got.

I would say loading a little lighter due to a shorter barrel than what I'm using wouldn't hurt (standard disclaimers apply). If you end up with a bunch of flash and/or unburnt powder common sense tells me you might want to think about a little faster powder.

Letus know how it turns out?

Mike

Well i made it back from the range without pistol parts in the face. Overall the 165s shot good enough for me. I'm not trying to make major or make tiny groups but come up with a safe load to practice with. Loading for the 40 makes me a little nervous so pushing the limits is not for me. The 165loads are much more snappy than the 180 loads but the bullets are cheaper and there is a little more room for error. I'll probably load 7.3gr or 7.5gr and shoot a hundred or so and re-evaluate. Here is what i figured out.
7.0gr loads were somewhat weak and about 3in low ejection was about 3ft some light soot.
7.3gr felt good ejection was about 5ft, no high pressure signs.
7.5gr snapper but otherwise good shooting.
7.7gr snappest but no high pressure signs.

Velocity info (chrony 12ft from muzzle) Please discount the group info somewhat, i was trying to miss the chrony which does not help the accuracy any.
Base line factory 155gr Hornady TAP FPD 3 shots avg=1062 ES=29, 2in POA group at 15yds
180fmj 6.3gr HS-6 10 shots avg=759 ES=36, 2in POA group at 15yds
165gr 7.3gr HS-6 10 shots avg=910 ES=34, 3in 2in low group at 15yds
165gr 7.5gr HS-6 10shots avg=946 ES=64, 3in 1in low group at 15yds

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR