JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok, i am interested in getting a decent 380 and reloading for it, how common is 380 brass to find at decent prices?

and can you use a 9mm luger 3 pc die set for 380? since they are considered 9mm shorts or will i need to buy a 380acp die? (i apologize if that last question was stupid)

ok, i am interested in getting a decent 380 and reloading for it, how common is 380 brass to find at decent prices?

and can you use a 9mm luger 3 pc die set for 380? since they are considered 9mm shorts or will i need to buy a 380acp die? (i apologize if that last question was stupid)

380 is different then 9mm to reload for need 380 dies and differenty shell holder. I get myu 380 brass for 7 dollars per 100 once fired.

hmmm, 380 is the same id (inner diameter) and outer diameter, only difference is that its shorter that i can see, they take the same diameter bullets as a 9mm just a smaller weight, why exactly couldnt u use a 9mm luger die set on them?

not tryin to say your wrong, just curious is all

If you know what you're doing, then you can to some degree. You'll run into problems using the expander die for starters. You can use the same shell holder and seater. So technically, you don't have to buy a whole new set of dies. But for a set of Lee carbides for under $40, why go to all the trouble?

With my dillion I have a different shell holder The 9mm is too big for the base of the 380. Base on 380 is .374in and 9mm is .394in and the diameter of the case at .200 off the base on 380 is .374 and on 9mm is .391. so therefore the 9mm sizing die would not size the 380 correctly and could lead to problems and saftey issues Got those measurements from a quick look at my reloading manual. Everyone should have one and know how to use.

I did the same thing when I wanted to start loading for 380 but research showed me that I should just get the right stuff. By a sizer die and shellholder and call it good. but do get the right sizer amnd as far as shell holder I have pulled bases of of cases with the 9mm holder and I have the stuff and am in albany if you need or want help. Just pm me

A 9mm para case diameter is .380" at the case mouth, .391" at the base. In other words, it's tapered! The 380's diameter is .373" at the case mouth and .374" at the base.

The answer is "NO!" to using the same dies. Now, look at the case mouth size and answer your own question about using the same bullets.

I'll admit, I've had a similar thought with other cartridges. (using one die to reload another) However in this case it won't work. .380 ACP (9mm Kurz) refers to the bullet diameter, not the case geometry. The .380 is a straight wall case, which uses the same shell holder as the .223 remington (which is why I use .223 stripper clips for carrying spare .380 ammo in my backpack.)

Now to a certain extent you can use the same bullets as 9mm, however, the performance degrades severely after you surpass about 115gr.

I'll admit, I have never had to buy .380, I can usually pick it out of the bin when I'm running the sorter for .223 (it's all the same size to the sorter). But the $7/100 seems like a good price.

If you wanted to, you could probably get away with using a 9mm belling die, or a 9mm seating die, but you would need a .380 die for sizing and for crimping the bullets in place.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews