JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am toying with the idea of getting a AR mounted launcher that can fire less than lethal ammo. Anyone know a good source of tear gas and flash bangs? Yes I can legally buy them. Seems to be a good non lethal alternative in a meltdown. Only looking for a couple of rounds.

FYI I have lots of experience with the 37/40mm LTL platforms and munitions...if you do go the gas route, CS gas is the way to go...makes people disperse in a hurry!

Believe it or not, I would actually recommend going the 12g route if you're going for less than lethal stuff...especially for civilians.

They're way less expensive and you can obviously switch from LTL to lethal in a heartbeat.

I wish I could find it on my phone, but CTS (Combined Training Systems) makes a "can" grenade launcher that goes over a 12g shotgun.

You fire blanks out of it and it works like a rifle grenade...you put a normal grenade in the launcher, pull the pin and fire...it air bursts grenades!

Any hoot...if you've got questions on LTL munitions, I'm your guy...been doing anti-prison riot training stuff for a while.

DO NOT BUY ONE FOR LTL UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO GET YOUR STAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REPEAT DO NOT BUY ONE WITH THE INTENTION OF LTL WITHOUT YOUR STAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very big into 37/40mm stuff. I work for a type 10/02, and do development on 37/40mm ammo. The ATF does not F- around when it comes to putting people in federal PMITA prison for this stuff, and they're looking for any reason to start regulating 37mm like 40. You getting caught, might f- this up for the rest of us, DO NOT DO IT!

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way, 37mm is easily dismissed by a lot of people as a toy, and to a certain extent they're right. the 37mm is unrifled, and is pretty much such a standards Charlie Foxtrot that you're never really going to get anything approaching accuracy out of it. However, it is essentially one big low velocity cannon that can lob smoke shells, flares, fireworks, and all other variety of weirdness out of it. I have made custom projectiles for line throwing, I have electric ones that have piezo sounders and LED flashers in them, I even have some that are designed to act as radar targets.

It's stupid, and it's fun, even if it's dismissed as a toy, shooting a mortar out of it gets a lot of attention. The ideal use would be for parachute flares to light up an area, if you look around you can usually find the 27.5mm czech parachute flares for $5-10 each, and then you just need a $20 adapter. I've been working on making my own 37mm para flares, but I haven't had time to go out to the quarry where I test all my pyro stuff (pretty much pyro always sets fires, even in the quarry, it's just easy to put out there).

That said, they can be dangerous to the uninitiated, especially people who get stupid ideas about launching explosive projectiles out of them.

Here's an example:
SAFETY

I also highly recommend grog's forum, I'm an active member there (it's a very low traffic board) but there's probably a thousand years worth of experience loading and shooting 37 and 40mm stuff there.

That said, LTL from a 37mm isn't as great as it sounds, you're largely limited to shotgun like shells, so multiple batons (foam or wood), or rubber buckshot. That's pretty much it.

Without a stamp, CS and OC gas cartridges are legal, if you're loading your own from the deftec black powder shells, 5-hour energy bottles fit nicely into them, so a 5hr energy bottle over a 60gr BP charge, lobbed onto some kind of structure like a wall will allow the powder to float down. You can occasionally find CS rounds, I have a few that I have acquired over the years, but I hope I never need to use them.

The 37mm market has been getting more competitive lately, I think X-Products just came out with one, but it's quite expensive. I'll personally vouch for the Extreme Ammo, they're kinda related to Bates and Dittus, and Ordnance Group. Ed's a pretty good guy and cares about making a good product. If you want to go the cheap route, MLR Distribution does slam fire launchers, and also sells second hand 37mm gas guns. Mark (MLR) has been doing launcher stuff since the 80's and used to work for Cobray back in the day. I ran into him at a Tampa gun show a few years ago. I have the pistol model of the SML-37, it's a really well made launcher, it's light weight, but I put a remington 870 collapsing stock I had laying around on it after cutting the adapter up in the machine shop.

Here's a photo: launcher and shell.jpg

Sorry about the shadows, lighting sucks in here.

The round shown is not loaded... it's just an empty 37mm BP case that I cut down to 5.5" and stuffed a 5-hr energy bottle into so you could see it.

I haven't fired one since the military.

Dang those were some fun times:) I remember when my recruiter asked me what I wanted to do. My response was blow bubblegum up!!:D

I haven't fired one since the military.

Dang those were some fun times:) I remember when my recruiter asked me what I wanted to do. My response was blow bubblegum up!!:D

I wonder if they get tired of hearing that answer... that was pretty much all I said to the recruiter, and he was like "how would you like military intelligence?" every time I talked to him. Problem was, at the time I never connected MI gets to blow stuff up too... and I lost interest, and took a job blowing stuff up for nasa.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top