JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a sig 239 in 357sig. I have never had an issue with the weapon or with the ammo. Is the ammo expensive, oh you betcha. I don't shoot that much, but when I do it is not more than a few magazines at a time. I bought a 1000 rounds about 15 years ago ish...good for a while...

I had no experience with the .357 Sig until recently. I got a smoking good deal on a Glock .357 barrel for my G22, and a pile of ammo. So I couldn't turn it down. I shot it a few months ago. I was expecting a hand-cannon snappy-ness but it was remarkably pleasant to shoot from my G22. Accurate too. So much so that it went right to "desk gun" duty, and it within arms reach as I type this.

Now, are ballistic differences between 9/40/357 much? Probably a little. Probably comparable to 9+p. Great round and versatile platform.

The .357 SIG is a very solid round, its biggest drawback being cost. Had they got practice ammo down in the $10-$12/50 range like 9mm, it would likely be a much more popular round. Let's face it, the cost of practice ammo is a large factor as that's 99% of what people shoot through handguns. Most folks will prefer getting double the trigger/range time out of a 9mm...in other words, on the range folks won't want to pay double for the performance difference of the SIG.

Now that being said, the .357 SIG out of a 226 is pretty impressive, particularly the ST variant. Like right in the black @ 100 yds-type shooting. With a little diligence and smooth trigger press off a solid rest, you can connect well beyond that.

If you've got am.40, you'd be well served at getting a .357 SIG barrel (and 9mm conversion too).

Boss

Olympia, WA 2A March For our Rights in 3 Weeks:eek::eek::cool:

March for Our Rights 2.0

There's not that many pocket 357 sigs. My thinking is that a duty size 9 is fully capable of operating at the same pressures as the 357 sig.. meaning a +p+ is fair game.. 550fpe per trigger press for the 9.
Here's a vid hinting at the concept..

Sig runs at 5000 psi higher pressure than a standard 9mm and 1500psi over a 9mm +P+. This argument always makes me shake my head because almost all semi auto pistols are not rated for +p ammo. A sig cartridge is closer to a cut down 10mm than a 40 S&W. The walls are thicker and the cartridge is a little longer. The sig357 round will out penetrate a 9mm or 45acp. The cartridge is great and a 9mm conversion barrel will let you shoot it all day at the range.

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a certain forum member claim his 9mm loads were 357 Magnum equivalent. Let the 9mm guys make noise, everyone. We all shoot what we shoot for whatever reason we shoot it.

Last year (IIRC) I picked up a .357 conversion kit (slide/barrel) for my SIG Mk25 just because it was cheap and just in case some poor sap is desperate to trade some .357 ammo off when SHTF.

I haven't shot it yet. I don't have any ammo for it. The ammo is more expensive and even though I haven't shot it, I prefer the .40 with its heavier projectiles and better availability. Yes the .357 SIG is closer to .357 Magnum, but only with the ~125 grain loads, not the heavier bullets.

I have .40 S&W SIGs, but I will be getting 9mm barrels for them. All I need is a barrel in .357 SIG for those, but I figure just the one kit is enough.

I like the .40 better, especially with the 180 gr bullets and for carry (I have a 224 in .40), but if SHTF it is the 9mm ammo that will be available, not .357 SIG, and probably not much .40 S&W.

YMMV

As far as cost for the .357S, I also shoot .45 so I'm kinda numb to the price.
Availability however is pretty slim locally. I can get Gold Dot's and such but practice ammo is best ordered online.

I have a Sig M11-A1 that I got a .40 slide assy for and of course I picked up a .357 barrel as well. So far practice ammo for it has been Gold Dot's, which it likes.
It's a hot lil sucker, that's for sure. And whatever is covered by the front dot is getting zapped out to 75 yds.

I did load it up with .357 and packed it around for a while.
But the P229 stainless slide in either 9mm or .40/.357 just wasn't doing it for me as an everyday carry piece.
So I picked up a P228 slide and am calling it a day for that one.
I seriously doubt I will be making 75 yd shots with it and 16 rounds of 124g HST's is more than sufficient. Federal has a new 136g Hydra-Shock that looks pretty nasty.

So now I'll be getting a frame for the 229 slide and will just keep it as a .40
Just installed new Sig Lites for the .40 caliber, a 6 front 8 rear.
I have a ton of .40 practice ammo and HST's for that caliber.
I'll keep some practice and SD ammo for .357 but more as a rainy day caliber.
Honestly for me, if I'm spending that much on practice ammo I'm grabbing .45 first and will just shoot the P220.

There is really no difference between the 33 and 27. Since they are so easily converted between 357 and 40 (and both are equally easily converted to 9), you may as well go with the 27 since there is a larger market for it if you ever decide to sell. @Vierings

I've got a 27 and a 32, myself.

There is really no difference between the 33 and 27. Since they are so easily converted between 357 and 40 (and both are equally easily converted to 9), you may as well go with the 27 since there is a larger market for it if you ever decide to sell. @Vierings

I've got a 27 and a 32, myself.
I'm buying whatever I can get my hands on at a decent price before July 1. The easy conversion is the reason I'm not picky on what one I get.

On the other hand, if you know you will ONLY carry 357Sig, then the 33 should be the choice. An unconverted gun is usually better from the perspective of LE scrutiny after a defensive shoot.

I actually cannot stand shooting glocks. I'll shoot each caliber enough to know them but it's my "SHTF" gun that I'll be able to grab ammo and mags from Damn near anywhere. I already have G17 mags.

I have a G-33 that I carry in my pocket or IWB, really like it. I also have a XD357 4" that seems great. I recently bought a M&P40C 3'6 and have a 357 conversion barrel, I have yet to shoot it,
I shoot Fiocchi FMJ 125 Grain for practice and Underwood 125 grain Gold Dots for carry.

On the other hand, if you know you will ONLY carry 357Sig, then the 33 should be the choice. An unconverted gun is usually better from the perspective of LE scrutiny after a defensive shoot.

I really think they would not know the difference, and I doubt there is any point a prosecuting attorney could make in court about shooting .357 SIG from one gun vs. the other. Personally, I don't think the .357 SIG has that much of a ballistic advantage over 9mm +P. I prefer .40 S&W myself. I have a .357 SIG barrel just because it was inexpensive, and JIC SHTF and I stumble across some ammo.

But to each their own.

I really think they would not know the difference, and I doubt there is any point a prosecuting attorney could make in court about shooting .357 SIG from one gun vs. the other. Personally, I don't think the .357 SIG has that much of a ballistic advantage over 9mm +P. I prefer .40 S&W myself. I have a .357 SIG barrel just because it was inexpensive, and JIC SHTF and I stumble across some ammo.

But to each their own.
I don't reload, but if 9 MM has +P, why not 357 Sig +P, is SAMMI sacred?