JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a fairly inexpensive scope and I also bought 30mm scope mount which is same diameter of the scope. Do I need to put anything on the mounts before I mount the optics? This is first my first real scope although I did buy a PA 3x optic but it is small compared to my new scope.

First get your rifle level left to right by puting a small level on the picatinny rail of the upper.

Then, about 20 feet away, while looking through the scope, find center point on the wall or a piece of paper and put a mark at center of the crosshairs. (this works for me) then use a bigger level to draw a level line for later adjusting the reticule too. Hopefully this makes sense.

Then..

Get your scope set where you want it. Level, plumb, correct distance for eye relief, (I suggest you close your eyes. Put the rifle to your shoulder, then without thinking, get yourself comfortable. Once comfortable,. Be one with the rifle. Then open your eyes. Is the eye-box clear and in full view? If not, adjust it for best position. Now close your eyes. Repeat above until satisfied) Once satisfied, tighten your rings, making sure the space (side-to-side) remains equal. Torque all the screws with an inch/pound driver to 2/3rds torque spec, then one by one take a screw out and apply a small amount of blue loctite. Re-torque to the 2/3rds spec. Once all the screws are dabbed and re-torqued 2/3rds of recommended, double check level and plumb. Once satisfied, tighten the screws in an "X" pattern to the recommended inch/pound specification. You'll be good to go then.

Hopefully I made more sense than not. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR