JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't had a chance to try out a sub2k in 40 just 9mm which I liked but even out of a 16" barrel I don't think 9mm has enough power, empirically I know I'm probably wrong but 40s&w is the smallest I'd want to carry in anything but a pocket gun and only if I didn't have another option.

As for 300BO in a bolt action my knee jerk reaction was that there are better cartridges for a bolt action but after thinking some more it does seem like it might have niche and might be the best option for one of the three use cases i'd have, which is quietly taking care of coyotes that are getting to close. A supressed bolt action 300BO with a 10-12" barrel would do well in that role since there wouldn't be any noise from the gun cycling and I wouldn't have to worry about if the gun will cycle with a certain load, and with a pinned suppressor it would only be a one stamp gun. Slow follow up shots do make it less desirable though.
Out of a 16 inch barrel the difference between many 40 sw loads and 9mm loads is about a 100 ft lbs. 40 isn't bad out of a carbine. Here's some links to play with:

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges

ShootersCalculator.com

I love these two sites for deciding if a gun I want is really worth it or not. Rather, is it redundant? It's not like a critter is going to pop back up and tell you his review on the difference of being hit by a little less power. Lol. It's like wondering what's better? 308 or 30-06? Well the deer isn't going to tell you. Both a 40 and a 9 in the sub2000 will have the same application and range Imo. So it's why I would look at other potential issues between the two.

A bolt gun in 300blk is right up your alley. Most come with a 1-7 twist, as with most barrels. A 1-7 can handle 150 grain bullets fine but is definitely better with 200 grain plus. I do recommend the Nikon p300. I recommend anything Nikon bdc with a range finder really. It's like cheating. Yeah fallow up shots are slower. However cleaning and maintaining your rifle is extra simple with a bolt gun. I will say what sucks about the Ruger ranches, is it's firing pin has reliably issues with hard primers. #400 primers are perfect I believe, but some loads from Hornady and barns use harder primers. Advantage ar15 lower! Gobble whatever you want to feed it.

I'm going to have to. I'm not paying the sharps rifle company for large amounts of ammo. This is truly the bad thing about it...no one is backing it....yet. the 25-45 sharps imo is the answer to the militaries desire to change caliber. You keep the mags and parts minus new barrels. It's finally something that has all the reasons why an ar can be better than an akm but is finally packing that 7.62x39 thump.
-
After shooting .30-221 Rem. aka -300blackout/Whisper for more than 20 years suppressed with Bolt and AR platform . I built a .25x45 last year and I could not be happier and I can not believe it took me this long to get with it .
I get easy 2800 fps Vel. from my 16" barrel AR with 87 grn Speers . And my next Boltaction build will be a .25x45 also because you will be able to really stretch-out the heavy .25 cal. bullets in the AICS .223 magazines .
The only thing I have 'always hated' about the 300BO is the micro-Case Shoulder .. .25x45 is more reliable than 300BO with feed and extraction .
Reloading .25x45 is ' easier ' than the 300-BO because there is no brass trimming on the 223 cases . And just get a 24x45 case gauge from Wilson Dies and there is no dicking around, your neck-up, full case resizing is Dialed perfect .
edit add.
the 25x45 really easy suppresses the High-Velocity reloads great out in the field with a .30 Cal. rifle Can mounted also . This thing is a coyote killing monster at Night .

I own a Sub2000gen2 in 40, set up soup to nuts for home defense. I considered going with 300blk subsonic, but in my particular case, I just thought a 40 carbine was better.

1-A 300blk upper (with cheap optic) was gonna be same price as completely outfitted Sub2k (with great optic), plus I get a complete firearm instead of just a part.

2-I am fully set up for 40 reloading and not for rifle rounds, much less 300blk.

3-I am extremely well set up for Glock mags and didn't have to buy a single mag.

4-The weight of a Sub2k is about half of an AR-15.

Since 40 and 300blk, both out of carbine barrels, have very similar ballistics, it all comes down to the chosen platform, as @v0lcom13sn0w says. An AR and a Sub2k are very different. The only inherent difference between the two calibers is that a 300blk upper could be pressed into supersonic duty (but only if designed with that flexibility in mind...)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top