JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I choked it down with shredded potatoes, cheese and an egg. Gave my son half. The dog got a piece too and slurped it down so fast that you would think it just came off the cow.

I wish I would have saved more of it to take home:)

20210302_082237.jpg

I plan on getting a couple of cans of the canned cheese. Winco's store brand is pretty good and much cheaper than the name brand. I love block chesse though so I am going to buy a couple of two pound blocks and see how they hold up on garage shelf. I am also wondering how long I could store eggs on the garage shelf. They are pretty cheap these days and cook fast.
Dip your eggs in mineral oil and they'll last a looong time on the shelf

Dip your eggs in mineral oil and they'll last a looong time on the shelf
I bought two 18 packs of eggs to last me the month. I applied the mineral oil to one pack and left the other pack untouched. I am going to use up most of the untouched pack first but I'll save a couple for comparison purposes. I will start using the oiled eggs when I get close to using up the untouched eggs. I normally don't eat many eggs but I suspect I will be using more this month.

Good thread!
I'm up to 5 propane tanks now. Keep an eye out for folks giving away old rusty grills on craigslist/offerup, etc. Sometimes you'll get a propane tank in the deal, and you can just throw the grill out if you don't need it. Also ask your neighbors when you see them getting a new grill or staging for a garage sale. If its an old tank, swap it at one of the Blue Rhino places to get a newer tank that can be refilled if it's past its expiration date.

Be careful with your innards brother, I have had extended periods of eating "tired " proteins. It's not always acute distress. Sometimes it's long term effects that can get you.
Yes, you will acclimate yourself, but it's not efficient fuel for the machine.
Maybe spend a little time googling symptoms of food poisoning and create a short check list to keep the ambulance away.
Stay safe homie

Be careful with your innards brother, I have had extended periods of eating "tired " proteins. It's not always acute distress. Sometimes it's long term effects that can get you.
Yes, you will acclimate yourself, but it's not efficient fuel for the machine.
Maybe spend a little time googling symptoms of food poisoning and create a short check list to keep the ambulance away.
Stay safe homie
I won't make it a habit of saving open canned meat for longer than a few hours. Tonight I am having chicken noodle soup with added canned veggies for my first meal and chicken spread on crackers for second snack meal. I am preheating thermos with my second cup of coffee water while soup is heating. Once soup begins to boil I will dump my thermos water in to coffee cup and add soup to thermos. I have a can of chicken I will open at work and add to soup on my first break. I am going to reserve some of that canned chicken to mix with mayo packets for crackers at my second break which will be about 2.5 to 3hrs later. The soup should still be hot enough to warm up the canned chicken I add to the soup at first break.

Radio silence.

You holdin up okay?
Yep everything is good here. I cheated on my second and third cup of coffee this morning and used the Keurig. I had some Great Value brand spam and potatoes with cheese and two eggs for breakfast. I am getting ready to make a chicken quesadilla for lunch using canned chicken. I took my wife through Krispy Kreme and Arbys drive thrus today but resisted ordering anything for myself. I had a chocolate chip muffin I had brought along for the ride.

Those sourdough breads are pretty decent, we've tried another brands. However directions call for baking. No idea on if you can by with pan heating, dutch oven etc.

...so may be worthwhile to figure out spacing etc to set up your oven. If just to try the breads later in the month.
The winco bake at home bread cooked up great, buttered and fried on both sides in a pan. I sliced the bread about 3/4 inch thick and buttered both sides. Flipping and cooking numerous times seems to have finished off the cooking. I added some parm cheese towards the end of cooking. It was crispy and no signs of being uncooked.

The winco bake at home bread cooked up great, buttered and fried on both sides in a pan. I sliced the bread about 3/4 inch thick and buttered both sides. Flipping and cooking numerous times seems to have finished off the cooking. I added some parm cheese towards the end of cooking. It was crispy and no signs of being uncooked.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up!

Dutch oven sourdough anythings are made for each other. An old timer showed me the way his granny showed him how to transport & store the sponge in pre-electric times.

As I approach the middle of my month long challenge, I have decided to make a few changes and come clean about a cheat. First off I started out making all my coffee with instant coffee and using shelf stable individual creamers. I cheated a few times recently by using the Keurig coffee maker. I have decided to switch over to Keurig for my coffee making chores again and I am also going to start using my sugar free non-dairy coffee creamer again.

The other cheat is going to be storing partials of opened canned meats in the fridge. Initially I was overeating the canned meats so they would not be wasted. In a real emergency situation there would be at least three of us in the house eating a can of meat so there wouldn't be left over meat to worry about. But the other family members are not interested in eating it now.

The main refocus is going to be a little more towards health. I bought quite a bit of junk food which I have been eating instead of canned foods and cooking. I am going to cut out most of the junk food and start eating the healthier foods I have on hand. I have barely put a dent in the canned foods and the grains I bought. I haven't touched the fresh carrots, cabbage or apples yet and only ate a few of the bananas which have barely ripened. Anyways that is my update.

Last Edited:
As I approach the middle of my month long challenge, I have decided to make a few changes and come clean about a cheat. First off I started out making all my coffee with instant coffee and using shelf stable individual creamers. I cheated a few times recently by using the Keurig coffee maker. I have decided to switch over to Keurig for my coffee making chores again and I am also going to start using my sugar free non-dairy coffee creamer again.

The other cheat is going to be storing partials of opened canned meats in the fridge. Initially I was overeating the canned meats so they would not be wasted. In a real emergency situation there would be at least three of us in the house eating a can of meat so there wouldn't be left over meat to worry about. But the other family members are not interested in eating it now.

The main refocus is going to be a little more towards health. I bought quite a bit of junk food which I have been eating instead of canned foods and cooking. I am going to cut out most of the junk food and start eating the healthier foods I have on hand. I have barely put a dent in the canned foods and the grains I bought. I haven't touched the fresh carrots, cabbage or apples yet and only ate a few of the bananas which have barely ripened. Anyways that is my update.

At some point, try to find an alternate coffee making method which you all will enjoy...Mayhaps not amidst your trial month, but at some point.

It's worth it. IMO.

Update and Happy Binge Day for me:

Everything is going swell with the grid down challenge and since I cut out a lot of the junk and started transitioning over to a weight watchers purple style diet, I have lost more than 6lbs. I just started easing myself into an excercise routine for my new 75 Hard challenge that will start April 1st, https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...o-join-me-for-april-1st-start-no-joke.364924/

As far as food spoilage goes the only thing that hasn't survived was a green bell pepper and the cabbage is starting to turn but if you peel off the outer layers the inside is still good. I used some cabbage in my "cabin nachos" I made last night. These had about 3ozs of canned chicken, 3ozs of spam, oinions and sliced up cabbage in the meat mixture. After cooking the meat mix, I dumped it out on a plate. Then I threw the tortilla chips into the same fry pan and put the meat mix on top of the chips. Topped it off with 1oz of the sharp cheddar, put the lid back on over very low heat and let the cheese melt. After that I put some taco sauce on and chowed it down.

20210319_195926.jpg

The Tillamook Sharp Cheddar block is holding up perfectly, no visible mold or change in texture or flavor.

20210319_195626.jpg 20210319_195623.jpg

Same goes for deluxe processed cheese slices, still perfectly usable.

20210319_195549.jpg

These bananas were purchased at beginning of challenge and are holding up well, The ones that were wrapped on the stem end with plastic are ripening at a slower rate than the one that weren't wrapped.

20210319_195520.jpg

This cheese was purchased at beginning of challenge and stored at my work's breakroom were it's a constant room temp. I have not broke the seal but it appears to be in perfect shape still. I will probably break in to this cheese next week.

20210318_003128.jpg 20210318_003116.jpg

Regarding binge day. I made the challenge 30 days even though there are 31 days in this month, so I could allow one day to go off the rails for my birthday meals. That preplanned day is happening today (not my bday today), so no limits on what I eat, how I prepare it or who prepares it for today. I did my weekly weigh in today instead of Sunday and was 244.4lbs. We'll see how much damage I do today when I weigh in next Sunday 3/28. I expect to still lose weight no matter how bad calorie intake is today. I am heading out for 45mins of walking in the dark now.

...The main refocus is going to be a little more towards health. I bought quite a bit of junk food which I have been eating instead of canned foods and cooking. I am going to cut out most of the junk food and start eating the healthier foods I have on hand. I have barely put a dent in the canned foods and the grains I bought. I haven't touched the fresh carrots, cabbage or apples yet and only ate a few of the bananas which have barely ripened. Anyways that is my update.
Good job hanging in there! Funny story your post helped me remember. There was 5 or 6 of us helping move a friend to a new place. As the couch as lifted up, in addition to the detritus and crap found underneath was an unopened box of Chocolate coated Hostess Brand Donuts. Buddy says "Hey, I lost those when I moved in here 7 years ago, I looked everywhere for them". (laughter)

We put the couch down, sat down on it, opened the box, and after the preliminary fear and the usual sniffing and poking was over, we ate every one of them. They tasted like they'd just been purchased. No rancid flavor or bad smell. Tasted great. It was stunning.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top