JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd include quinoa, peanut butter, tuna, wax covered cheeses, basic camper kitchen tools. Make sourdough. Lotsa root Veggies. Various teas. Cast iron cookery over outdoor flames. Cowbiy coffee. One pot meals. Sounds challenging in urban setting.

Keep us posted.
Grocery Outlet had a 4lb bag of quinoa for $6 so I snagged one. I can add a little bit to my canned soups to bump up the protein a bit.

Does anybody keep their pickles at room temperature after opening jar? What about pickled peppers like jalapeno peppers?
I have. But I'm a human garbage disposal.

Keep out of sunlight maybe?
Also smaller jars (higher expense) means less to consume after breaking the seal.

Herdez chipotle (smoked jalapeno)
Seems pretty durable when left out.

I have. But I'm a human garbage disposal.

Keep out of sunlight maybe?
Also smaller jars (higher expense) means less to consume after breaking the seal.

Herdez chipotle (smoked jalapeno)
Seems pretty durable when left out.
I found some la costena sliced jalapeno peppers in a small jar I will keep on my workbench. Tonight I am having Alantic brand potato soup. I already loaded it up in food thermos with out preheating the thermos. Soup will be consumed at about 1am tonight with my club crackers. 4am snack will be doritos or pb&j sandwich.

If you were one of the unlucky ones who was without power how did you prepare food at home without any electricity? What type of foods did you eat?

For my part: personally I think if you really want to be prepared, you have a motorhome or trailer. I refer to ours as our "lifeboat." Preferably with a huge inboard propane tank (and a generator of course). We had no power for 5 days. I know people who had no power for 10 days. We were reasonably lazy (getting take-out regularly) but cooked a few times on the RVs propane stove. As you said, sometimes health takes a back-seat to being shelf-stable. Best example is mac and cheese with spam (which is a pretty good emergency food that the kids like). Other emergency-type foods (compact, long-lasting, and filling) we enjoyed were oatmeal and rice.

First day is done, I went over my calorie allowance by 336 calories. The hardest part of this challenge, for at least the first couple of weeks, is going to be not exceeding my calorie allowance. I tried getting the most bang for the buck calorie wise when shopping. That is going to make it very easy to overeat.

I oiled up an 18 pack of eggs and left another 18 pack as purchased from the store. I cracked open a 2lb block of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar (red label) and it is now sitting on the work bench with sarand wrap and a rubber band cover. I have five other 8oz blocks of various safeway brand cheeses that I will begin to unwrap after the first week. 4 heads of cabbage are quietly sitting in a paper grocery sack lined with paper towels. 3 sticks of butter are sitting on work bench in factory packaging while the opened stick is in a tupperware container also on the bench. I place about a dozen slices of processed American cheese in a tupperware container to store on bench. Whole carrots are double wrapped in plastic sacks on bench and a couple of green bell peppers are sitting nearby completely exposed. Same for bananas except for I wrapped the stems with some plastic to see if that retards the ripening process a bit.

Tonight I am planning on corned beef sandwiches and potato chips for work meal.

I applaud this thread. But as I read your last post, I think: What if you fell in a well on your property and vanished. The police would come in and they'd be seeing all this and would be so confused. lol Talk about an eccentric guy!!! Or what if you were dating someone new? You'd try to explain, but . . . . She'd "have something to go do."
They'd never read this, and it would make a hilarious sitcom.

I applaud this thread. But as I read your last post, I think: What if you fell in a well on your property and vanished. The police would come in and they'd be seeing all this and would be so confused. lol Talk about an eccentric guy!!! Or what if you were dating someone new? You'd try to explain, but . . . . She'd "have something to go do."
They'd never read this, and it would make a hilarious sitcom.
Throw in the all the ammo and reloading components in the same space as the food and it would make a heck of a story to pass around the precinct.

My grannies going back a couple generations that I knew, all went to considerable trouble to have both a home-canned goods section & a 'root cellar' section. On at least one ocassion one of them told me about chipping ice from the river to put in a wash tub filled with perishables. They put quilts or sawdust over the tub in an era before iceboxes were in their budget. Are you video recording any of your adventures here?

My grannies going back a couple generations that I knew, all went to considerable trouble to have both a home-canned goods section & a 'root cellar' section. On at least one ocassion one of them told me about chipping ice from the river to put in a wash tub filled with perishables. They put quilts or sawdust over the tub in an era before iceboxes were in their budget. Are you video recording any of your adventures here?
Sorry no videos but here is snapshot of workbench food storage.

20210301_221049.jpg

I thought this would happen but not on the second day in. I opened a 12oz can of corned beef at work. At 1am, I ate 8oz of beef with 2 pieces of bread, 1.5oz of cheese and a couple of mayo packets. I am on second break now but I can't bring myself to eat the last 4oz of beef. I stuck it in a tupperware and put it out in the shop. Shop is running about 52f right now.

Would you guys chuck it or bring it home and eat it?

This could be a problem with future meals too since I don't have a way to keep leftovers cool. I don't think I will be able to power through a 10oz can of roast beef or full can of spam either.

I believe there is enough salt and other preservatives in it that you would be fine eating it later. But I wouldn't take that to extremes. Later in the day, overnight, but not much longer. Especially if you were to fry it with some eggs or some such.

I wonder how many get sick from food they eat?
I don't know offhand. Probably some kind of .gov study somewhere out there.
There's some kind of thin line we've all walked in the "is it or isn't it" safe. My own notions are not necessarily applicable to the circumstances of others, so I try to refrain from bombastic assertions.

What I have found, is trying to eat that much meat and cheese in one meal, is impractical and leaves me without much interest in the remaining portion of the can, for long enough I probably will find reason to abandon that as 'suspect surplus'.

The worse food poisoning I ever experienced, came from a gas-station refrigerated egg salad sandwich, that otherwise seemed fine at lunch yet by dinner time had changed my life considerably. That all components were cooked at some point before the 'use before' date vs the suspected 'mayo' substrate as the active festering nest of perfidy, matters little.

On occasion I've eaten bits of jerky that 'could' have been tainted, yet digested normally.
And a certain amount of fuzz on older cheeses have proven 'cosmetic' rather than 'transmissible'; possibly you have experienced similar? How long does it take for 52* canned meat to produce the heaves? Good question.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top