JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because the chances of ending up with a POS is exponentially higher than with a Ruger, S&W or Colt. If you want to play "Lifetime Warranty" games than buy a Taurus. Personally, I won't own one. They are a pale comparison to the real deal.
^. This, big time. And I'd add their warranty practices are borderline criminal.

(I do still have one Taurus left and that specimen is fantastic. But the odds of encountering crap, combined with dubious company support, why bother. I've since moved on to S&W and couldn't be happier with their wheelguns.)

FWIW I owned a Taurus at one time (a 605) and it was an excellent gun.

Very tight, smooth and it was very accurate for a snub.

However - it was my only one, came to be by way of a great trade deal and I probably wouldn't own another - not unlike a few other 'makes' of guns as well.

FWIW I owned a Taurus at one time (a 605) and it was an excellent gun.

Very tight, smooth and it was very accurate for a snub.
That's the one I've kept; the 605. Surprisingly good trigger and accuracy for a snub. And as reliable as you'd expect a small revolver to be.

But, yah, not going to bother with Taurus again. Getting a decent one is probably better odds than at the roulette table, but that isn't saying much. :s0112:

Last Edited:
I recall looking at a Mod 66 6" Taurus many years ago and I remember it being pretty nice as well but don't remember why I didn't buy it (probably because I was looking for a S & W! )

I often thought it was odd Taurus used the same model number as S & W for a similar style pistol.

Okay thanks for all the advise I have looked at a 686 at a pawn shop it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time if ever it was 749.00 then I looked at a new 586 L comp it was 1100.00 and I am looking at an older Taurus 66 4" today I have read reviews on the Taurus 66 they were mixed but mostly good what do you guys think of the older 66sView attachment 1187247
Taurus semi-autos used to be kind of sketchy. I don't know of their revolvers ever being so. I've put a few thousand rounds through a 4" model 66 and it's been flawless. The trigger is very smooth and the gun runs great. There is a spring kit for them that brings the double action pull down under 11 lbs - I think the factory pull is about 14. I've shot a few of these 66's and they've all been fine. The factory grips are great.

Okay thanks for all the advise I have looked at a 686 at a pawn shop it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time if ever it was 749.00 then I looked at a new 586 L comp it was 1100.00 and I am looking at an older Taurus 66 4" today I have read reviews on the Taurus 66 they were mixed but mostly good what do you guys think of the older 66sView attachment 1187247
For carry
23980.jpg

Full size 4"

mage-full-6014975-337b5f1449ee2a55a5e654ea8194ac64.jpg

4" S&W 27/28 for me.
Big, strong, heavy duty and will never wear out. Will also never conceal really well. But hey, in the 70s, I carried a 6" M28 in a shoulder rig. Did not fear even one second.

OP: If you know how to check a revolver thoroughly for good function, that dirty 686 would be excellent. Talk 'em down due to the dirt.

41 magnum is my favorite, terribly under rated by those who don't know...

Working in Alaska in the 80's a 12 Guage with 00buck 1st followed with slugs and if it came to the last ditch attempt the 41 magnum to stop a charging bear the size of a Volkswagen beetle...

41 magnum is my favorite, terribly under rated by those who don't know...

Working in Alaska in the 80's a 12 Guage with 00buck 1st followed with slugs and if it came to the last ditch attempt the 41 magnum to stop a charging bear the size of a Volkswagen beetle...
I've shot a 41 magnum, not sure who made it. It was surprisingly comfortable to shoot and quite accurate.

I love my Kimber, narrowest 6 round 357

I do wish I would have known about the 4" prior to purchasing the 3"
3" is quite the handfull.

Just looked at the Taurus 66 it was okay seemed to lock up fine its from the mid 80s the grip and the backstrap didnt match up very good the triger both DA/SA was very smooth he wanted 450.00 I might have been able to talk him down a bit but I have a Ruger Security six in my sights for 500.00 thats a duh no brainer

Just looked at the Taurus 66 it was okay seemed to lock up fine its from the mid 80s the grip and the backstrap didnt match up very good the triger both DA/SA was very smooth he wanted 450.00 I might have been able to talk him down a bit but I have a Ruger Security six in my sights for 500.00 thats a duh no brainer
Make sure that you are happy with the double action trigger pull of that Ruger Security Six before buying.

$450 sounds like a lot. I think you could buy a new one for about that before the crazy times.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top