JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a revolver, it's going to be 357mag to match my Contender, it is going to serve as a fun gun, trail gun, house gun and occasional carry gun, I dont want a J frame sized gun, so what do you guys like for this purpose, price around 1,000 give or take but the cheaper the better thanks have a great day.

20220327_165144.jpg 20220327_165155.jpg 20220327_165200.jpg

I'm really happy with this. Gp100 3" in .357.
Fixed (channel?) Rear sight is fine for me close in . I wouldn't try for any precise shots at distance with this anyway. A Kenai type chest holster is on my want list for this particular chunk of steel, as it is on the heavy side.

I think if you're going to carry concealed, 3" is what you should get. If you are emphasize all other purposes you stated 4" is a better buy. I have a 4" 686+ of modern make, and a 2.5" 66-1 from 1980. Honestly, I'd go buy either barrel length in a model 19 or 66 from days gone by unless you know your going to shoot tons of 125grain 357.

FCAEC2A6-7E03-4ABB-8198-6FE2B63353B4.jpeg

I like the S&W L-Frame (586/686) and the Ruger GP100 is probably even better for less money.

I have not noticed any remarkable difference in performance between shorter barrels out to 25 yards. Once the bbl gets longer than 4" you will notice the weight difference. The muzzle becomes heavy.

I will toss in another vote for the GP 100, I have one with the 4.2-inch barrel in .327 Federal Mag. very well built, a bit on the heavy side, but an excellent shooter. and adjustable rear sight.

GP 100 002.JPG

You'll find that (speaking of USED .357 Mag S&W revolvers) the mostly 4" variety are "common" vs. the shorter 3" and 2 1/2" barrels. That being said...... you'll probably also note the "premium pricing" and that they'll get snapped up quickly.

New......
The shorter barrel variety is normally "hard to find". As for the 3"? Well, it might/maybe just be a "limited" run.

Also.....
Finding a holster for the shorter barrel revolvers can/might be a problem too.

Aloha, Mark

Okay thanks for all the advise I have looked at a 686 at a pawn shop it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time if ever it was 749.00 then I looked at a new 586 L comp it was 1100.00 and I am looking at an older Taurus 66 4" today I have read reviews on the Taurus 66 they were mixed but mostly good what do you guys think of the older 66s Screenshot_20220427-130410_Messages.jpg

For most of the scenarios you've listed, I'd recommend a 4" Ruger GP-100 with adjustable sights and single action capable (not a hammer spurless version). That's probably the best all-round general purpose/fighting revolver. The S&W 686 would be another good choice but I don't like the fact it has a side plate that is held on by screws that can work loose. The GP-100 does not have a side plate or use screws other than the grip screw.

Because you stated the possibility of carrying it, the 3" GP-100 would be a better option, but it's still fairly large. Additionally, most 3" versions come with non-adjustable sites and are even available without a hammer spur to make concealed carry easier.

Bottom line, unless carry was going to be one of the primary uses, I'd go with the 4". The 3" is going to be a compromise in most other scenarios. Another option, as always, is to buy at least one of each! Just my two cents.

Gratuitous picture of one of my GP-100s. A relatively rare 4", fixed sight, .357 mag GP-100 with a double action only hammer (no single action notch at all) and tritium front sight sporting the compact grip. I have two of these as bedside guns loaded with 38 special defensive rounds. Can't get much simpler. Hand it to the wife while I grab the shotgun.
GP100_DAO_Side_1.jpg

Last Edited:
In my opinion 3" is minimum for carrying...
The shorter barrel is great for less weight and speed of clearing the Holster but unfortunately follow up shots take longer due to muzzle rise...

4" for me seems to have the perfect balance of draw speed, target aquazition and follow up shots...

Additionally the shorter barrels tend to have more muzzle flash in low level light conditions, this can pose a real threat if you can't see...

My experience is with Dangerous animals, if a critter is charging you 1 or 2 shots maybe all you get in close quarter conditions before personal contact is made...

Stay safe...

If you're going to carry it a lot, a K frame Smith or an older Ruger Speed, Service or Security Six with preferably a 3" barrel.
The L frame Smiths and GP100 Rugers and larger are pretty heavy for EDC.
Don't get a Taurus.

Always been a 4" fan in the the 'medium' size frame guns ('K', 'L' - GP etc.) and I have owned several.

A 4" 'K' frame carries about perfectly for a revolver. GPs are a little more 'robust' but they are a great choice in this category.

I would still like to have a 6" Mod 27/28 S & W but it would be more of just a 'shooter' than a carry gun.

Certaindeaf so why do you say don't get a Taurus?
Now you've done it... stand by for the thread to balloon up.

Maybe do a Duck duck go search on it... lots of opinions both ways but lots of negative passion on the "forgedaboudit" side.

My wife owns an older Taurus Stainless 605 with ported 2" barrel in .357. It has been plenty robust and I put a Wolfe spring kit in it to overcome the 12lb trigger it came with. Unfortunately, when I went down to 6lb, the transfer bar safety feature kept some of the rounds from igniting and I had to put the 9lb trigger spring in it. But it shoots plenty good and has never broken!!!

My first personal choice is a S&W model 57 with a 4" barrel in .41 magnum!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top