JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That there is some serious logic.

Unfortunately, liberal logic looks more like this..

XceTW0Y.jpg

The first point is a good one. One comparison that seems to be lost among many is that between the US and Mexico. We're, naturally, neighboring nations. One has unbelievably draconian gun laws (Mexico) while the other is one of the most free in the world (US). Mexico is ranked 22nd in terms of homicide rate. Using the same data, the US is 111th. If having gun control laws on the books was the chief factor in preventing homicides, that should be reversed. It isn't, of course, because the bad guys in México, just like everywhere else on the face of the planet, don't give a damn about the laws.

One facet of gun ownership which I think is downplayed or over looked is :
How Firearms and firearm owners are viewed as whole have changed though out our history.

One of the many reasons for the Battles of Lexington and Concord in April 1775 was that the English wanted to confiscate powder , guns and cannon from the area.
Many folks had firearms , knew how to use them and there was no stigma around being a gun owner.

We have come a long way from the events of April 1775 ... And the idea of a law abiding citizen of being armed is under attack again.
Many people do not like guns , don't understand just how they work , are afraid of guns and gun owners etc..
Gone in most places are the days of being able to talk about guns or show off your new addition to your collection without being seen as a potential danger or threat.
The idea that the vast majority of gun owners are no threat , commit no crimes or harm someone with our guns is lost on far too many people.

Just how did the thought of owning a firearm , that was very similar to the ones being used by the military or even one used by the military go from being socially acceptable and even encouraged as in 1775 to : "No one needs a AR15" ?
( Or for many anti-gun people: "No one needs a gun of any type" ).

I would love to see a far reaching positive image campaign about the law abiding gun owner and the guns that we own.
One that went out to mainstream media and not just relegated to gun magazines and forums.
A campaign that would promote the idea that guns and gun owners are not the stereotypes seen on TV , movies and sales ads.
We are simply people who like to own guns ...We have no desire to commit a crime or harm anyone.
Andy

One facet of gun ownership which I think is downplayed or over looked is :
How Firearms and firearm owners are viewed as whole have changed though out our history.

One of the many reasons for the Battles of Lexington and Concord in April 1775 was that the English wanted to confiscate powder , guns and cannon from the area.
Many folks had firearms , knew how to use them and there was no stigma around being a gun owner.

We have come a long way from the events of April 1775 ... And the idea of a law abiding citizen of being armed is under attack again.
Many people do not like guns , don't understand just how they work , are afraid of guns and gun owners etc..
Gone in most places are the days of being able to talk about guns or show off your new addition to your collection without being seen as a potential danger or threat.
The idea that the vast majority of gun owners are no threat , commit no crimes or harm someone with our guns is lost on far too many people.

Just how did the thought of owning a firearm , that was very similar to the ones being used by the military or even one used by the military go from being socially acceptable and even encouraged as in 1775 to : "No one needs a AR15" ?
( Or for many anti-gun people: "No one needs a gun of any type" ).

I would love to see a far reaching positive image campaign about the law abiding gun owner and the guns that we own.
One that went out to mainstream media and not just relegated to gun magazines and forums.
A campaign that would promote the idea that guns and gun owners are not the stereotypes seen on TV , movies and sales ads.
We are simply people who like to own guns ...We have no desire to commit a crime or harm anyone.
Andy

Agreed, the image of guns and gun owners has been badly tarnished. The problem, as I see it though isn't necessarily the lack of information (that is a big part of it) but rather the focused attack on guns and gun owners which the MSM is complicit in, helping to share negative stories, painting us in a negative light.

When did this start? I'm not sure I can place a specific event or time on it, but I think the 60's in combination with the negative view of the Vietnam war and Vietnam vets, really started to kick anti-gun sentiment into high gear. There are those that want to make substantial changes in this country, growing government while increasing personal reliance/dependence on that government. People that are gun owners are perhaps more likely to have an independent mindset, a mindset that says I take care of myself, I don't need to rely on the government for everything. Simply put, an armed population is the greatest barrier to their ultimate goals.

This is a long process they've undertaken. Many here can still recall when guns were not only allowed at schools (truck guns, etc), but gun safety and education was taught there too. They got rid of that while implementing a replacement program that says guns are evil, you don't need them, it's not your concern to protect yourself, the government is your protector. And this has gone on for at least 2 full generations. The indoctrination is deep and not easily undone.

The MSM will never run with the guns are okay and gun owners are okay narrative. It violates the worldview they have committed to. The government, and by extension all public schools, along with the teacher's unions are on the same page as well. They're not interested in making free thinking patriots, but rather compliant drones. No amount of goodwill campaign will undo that.

It will take a fundamental shift in the thinking of a large number of Americans, back to the days when self determination was the common belief. Where government was smalla and the individual determined his own path. But with so many relying on others, on the government, to do that for them (easier), how do we undo that damage?

5 days before Barack Obama was elected, he said we are 5 days away from "fundamentally transforming America". That's a scary thought when you really think about it. Would someone who truly loves their country want to fundamentally transform it? Think about it this way - if you were about to get married and said to your bride you were just days away from fundamentally transforming her, would she believe you truly loved her, or just saw her as something flawed that you wanted to make in your own image. That comment by Obama really highlights what we're up against, and it's a huge opponent, one that's been fighting to get us here for decades. As much as I'd like to see a public relations campaign fix the image of gun owners, the negativity is too deeply ingrained at this time.

So what to do is what many of us are already trying to do - bring up new generations with that traditional American spirit. Teach them self reliance and that the government, while necessary, should be extremely limited, and that we are responsible, primarily, for our own self preservation. Perhaps in time, they will grow and spread that message to a larger audience, and the next generation to a larger audience still. It's not impossible, but certainly will take a very long road of commitment to undo the damage they have done to this country. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, maybe not in my daughter's either, but we're not going to give in, we're going to push for a better furture, a return to the values that made America the greatest country on Earth.

Sorry for the long rambling post, just couldn't seem to say this in a shorter post.

Oh, and there are plenty of great videos online that do show guns and gun owners in a positive light. I take the opportunity to share them as often as I can with folks that are willing to watch.

The first point is a good one. One comparison that seems to be lost among many is that between the US and Mexico. We're, naturally, neighboring nations. One has unbelievably draconian gun laws (Mexico) while the other is one of the most free in the world (US). Mexico is ranked 22nd in terms of homicide rate. Using the same data, the US is 111th. If having gun control laws on the books was the chief factor in preventing homicides, that should be reversed. It isn't, of course, because the bad guys in México, just like everywhere else on the face of the planet, don't give a damn about the laws.
I keep saying this a lot, but there's also a correlation between poverty and murders. That is not to say that poverty is always the cause, but it stands to reason that Mexico is high in violent crime due to poverty.

Which still goes against the idea that gun control works, because getting rid of the laws might work better.

The political tools have suddeny discoverd the idea of gun cntrol don't work, and they have been outed for the lies they spread. It' also come to light the true nature they are operating under, full confiscation! The only hurdle to that end goal is US, an armed populace who will not submit with out a fight. They have not readied them selves yet for the fight and the cost full confiscation will cost, YET! At some point they will finally get past that last step and it's on!!! Keep your eyes open, all these mass shootings are designed ( Read; Allowed) to happen to brace up the sheeple that what they want is a necessity and that not only should they support it, they should help out! Turning in friends, neighbors, and even relatives! Gov'ness Bloody Brownstain, and Gov'ness Insley have taken the first major steps toward this, illegal surch and seizure of private property with out due process! Watch out for the next steps!:eek::eek::eek::mad:

This Number 3 is a good point. An example? El Salvador. The nation has no guaranteed right of firearm ownership. A license is required to own handguns, semi-automatic rifles, etc. Fully-automatic weapons, armor-piercing ammo, etc. are all illegal to own by regular citizens. Using UN data, the nation is ranked number one in homicides compared to the US at 96th. Switzerland, which has very loose gun laws by world standards, is ranked 203. If gun control worked, those results should be reversed. Clearly, other factors drive homicide rates.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads