JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Words from the wise,, posted by spitpatch. Don't worry about beating a dead horse. It is the ".300 (or '06) vs. .270", "Glock vs. 1911", "AR's are junk vs. AR's are proof God loves us" threads that are the veritable and indisputable lifeblood of this and similar websites.

Just to let you know, I practice at 800 yards, and the optimum bullet for a 300 Win Mag is not a 150 grn. it's a 180 grn. I can pump them out there at 3130 fps. very accurate at that range. No need to get your feathers ruffled, as I stated earlier, everyone has their favorite, and they will stand by it...... I haven't questioned anyones capabilities, please don't question mine. I would be more than happy to shoot a little competition with you if that's what you're getting at....... Again this should be informative and fun.......

Never HAD to shoot at anything over 300yds. when hunting. I usually use stalking and terrain to close to a range where I can place my shot where I want it. But like most others here I feel it is a matter of personal choice. Many tools will do the job just fine. Of course those who use bigger calibers than a .270 on any Oregon game and shoot long range are obviously compensating for personal physical shortcomings.................:s0093:

I tried working a load with the 165's just for a secondary load and I couldn't get them to group. The best I got was 1" - 1 1/2 " at 100 yards. With 180's I can get 1/2" at 100 yards. When I had my rifle built I had a #2 tapper Shilen barrel installed and it just doesn't like 165's. You are so right about the options........ I see you're in the Seattle area, If you ever get over in the PA area we have a nice private range to shoot.

Oh MA!! My last elk fell at 28 yrds. To a 250 gr. 338 win mag. No physical shortcomings here, I just love mine and prefer it. As a side note, I'm on the long side of 50 and would be willing to race anybody to the top of hill for a ice cold sixpack of Bud! Anyway,, the OP asked if the .300 win mag was a better choice for long range shooting, if he's talking about 1k yrd target smacking,, you and I both know it is. And yes I do have a few of both.;)

Lots of responses for Deer and Elk, but none for neighbors car?? I've been stalking one for two days now. Definitely most active around dusk after feeding at the safeway gas on 175th.

After doing a couple months of research I just picked up a 270 to learn to shoot (havent done much shooting since I was a kid with my grandpa.) 300 WM will definitely be my next purchase unless I win the lottery and can afford 338 LM rounds. For now I wanted to go a little easier on my budget and shoulder since I'll exclusively be shooting at the range @300yds and less.

I find ballistics freakin' fascinating so I love these discussions.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the 300WinMag. And mostly used for Elk and deer, nothing usually over a few hundred yards, if that. Thanks for all the responses.

Well, since you are talking about considerably fewer yards than the 800-1200 referenced above, either would be a great choice. With regard to shooting frequently, with many rounds downrange, the .270 will take your dollar(s) farther and leave you with fewer bruises.

At one time I went in pursuit of a 1k yd capable rifle. I settled on the 30-338Win cartridge, as it had an excellent record at Wimbledon and in other matches. When it was done, it would put five 200gr SMKs into a 1/2" dia group at 200 yds. (by the time I settled on a load) Consistently delivered 1/3rd-1/2 MOA out as far as I cared to reach with 200gr Sierra SPBTs. They were leaving the muzzle at right around 3kfps.

However by the end of a range session my shoulder was aching. My bank account was considerably lighter, and it would take me a couple of weeks to get over the flinch. All so I could settle down and live up to the performance of the gun and round(s) I had worked so hard for. 4,000 ft lbs of ME equates to considerable recoil, even in a 10 lb rifle.
In my efforts to mitigate the recoil, I had a couple pounds added to the butt of it, and it ended up at over 11lbs with scope.
Oddly enough, when it came time to hunt down Mr muley or Mr bullelk, I kept using my .270. Why? Because I could carry and shoot that 7-1/2 lb M700 ALL DAY and it killed without fail at the ranges you are looking at.
I figure it did that mostly because I was able to shoot it without thinking about anything other than range, elevation, wind and bullet placement.
And NOT think about what the rifle was gonna do to me!

YMMV.

Oh MA!! My last elk fell at 28 yrds. To a 250 gr. 338 win mag. No physical shortcomings here, I just love mine and prefer it. As a side note, I'm on the long side of 50 and would be willing to race anybody to the top of hill for a ice cold sixpack of Bud! Anyway,, the OP asked if the .300 win mag was a better choice for long range shooting, if he's talking about 1k yrd target smacking,, you and I both know it is. And yes I do have a few of both.;)

Sorry, a shameless troll I know.....:s0114: And I have never shot at a target over 800yds. with anything other than a M2, an 81mm or something bigger. I own a .338 Win Mag and absolutely love it.
PS if you are serious about the beer race.... I'm 57 and we can do it on my place......I'm in fair shape....and the valley floor we'll start at is around 4300ftMSL......Oh and it has to be REAL beer...not Bud....:s0155:

Personally, I think the .270 is five times the cartridge the .30-06 or .300 is, and I think 1911's make Glocks look like Cracker Jack toys, and AR15's are the devil's work. (Did someone say veritable lifeblood?). Fire's goin' good now, I'll put the Coleman Fuel back in the tent.

Lots of responses for Deer and Elk, but none for neighbors car?? I've been stalking one for two days now. Definitely most active around dusk after feeding at the safeway gas on 175th.

I'd have to say my .375 Ruger loaded with 300gr Solids would be the ticket.:s0114:

Just got back from the range. Took the 25-06 and the 300 Wm. If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone, I show you a nice 4-shot group using 168 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets @ 3140fps.

Both great, great calibers. My goal when hunting Deer and Elk is to drop the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible, but also to save as much meat as possible. As previously stated, with proper bullet placement under 400 yards either caliber will drop and animal quickly and humanely (so I call that a tie). Where I feel the .270 pulls ahead is in the limited loss of meat, and felt recoil (possibly improving accuracy depending on the shooter). At the ranges stated by the OP, I feel the .300 is a little overkill for deer and would result in less usable meat being harvested.

Again, both great calibers, but for the stated purpose I give it to the .270 and would add the 30-06 as a close second.