JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah, I'm not surprised Spitpatch is the other 257 Colton owner. Sounds like a great caliber, maybe similar or same as the 25-06ai ?
all I know is someday Id like to shoot one of Spitpatch's older custom wildcats just to say Ive experienced an era in gunsmith wildcatting craftsmanship that doesn't seem to be around anymore.

True Confessions: that was me. (The giveaway shoulda been the "notable quote" sign off line.) The No.1 Colton has been to Montana now three times since I (driven by quarter-bore fever) acquired it from @GSample. Each trip, I've carried it for at least one day, and turned a Coyote inside-out, but no ungulates (yet).

The cartridge is as I presumed it would be: a "sensible" belted magnum, much like the .276 Ackley Magnum: avoiding gross overbore case capacity. In commercial cartridges, there are few "gaps" of performance within a given caliber, but a fair sized one exists between the .25-06 and the .257 Weatherby (the '06 when loaded very warm, falls just short of matching factory Weatherby velocities).

The Colton bridges that gap. Belt-a-phobes should take a pill: Simply headspacing on the shoulder makes the evil belt a non-issue, and the overall balance and weight and appearance of this fine rifle lead me to wonder why Ruger never offered a similarly-constructed/proportioned version.

Many thanks to @Elkaholic49 for insight regarding Mr. Colton himself, and I cannot thank @GSample enough for kindnesses such as this received.
It's so good to hear from you Bruce and to know how that beautiful rifle has been used since I last saw it. I knew that this rifle and the other firearms you bought from my brother's estate were going to the right person and that they would be used and treated appropriately. If you get into my area, please do stop by to say hello. You are welcome anytime.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top