.257 Colton

Reactions
Hey Fellas:

I have a Ruger # 1 in .257 Colton and I've not been able to find a thing on this cartridge. All I find are .257 Roberts (which I also have) and .257 Weatherby. Any suggestions on where I might look for details on this cartridge?

Thanks much

DLS

Reactions
I have a dozen very old reloading manuals, this cartridge is not in any of them.

There was probably more wildcatting with the "quarter bore" than perhaps any other bullet diameter. There are a ton of different variants out there. Do you have any info at all on the round, hopefully at least, the parent cartridge?

I'd suggest you buy some Cerrosafe and cast the chamber (or have it done) so you can get a true picture of chamber dimensions. That way you can determine what the parent cartridge was and what would need to be done to form brass. Then find data on several similar wildcat / factory loads that have approximately the same case dimensions and internal volume.

That way you could extrapolate a safe starting load and start load development from there. The No. 1 is a strong action, so starting low and working up cautiously should provide you a good load without any more risk than normal load development using cartridge specific data.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted I'm interested in what you may find about this round.

Last edited:
OP
G
Reactions
Thank you DLS for digging into this. Based on my limited research, I sure agree with your statement on the quarter bore. I think your "reverse engineering" suggestions are sound, especially if I can't locate any specific information on this cartridge. I also wondered if Ruger may be of some value in this search but I'm not clear if this caliber started with them or was done by a custom shop. I suspect the latter. Possibly I could work backwards with the serial number. It is nicely stamped into the barrel but that could be done by many competent shops.

MTpockets

Reactions
Some searching turned up this...

"A while back I acquired a beautiful custom rifle that had not been fired except to fire form some cases. It's a 7mm with CBM Mk I stamped on the barrel. I was told it was built in the late 70's by a gunsmith in Oregon by the name of Gene Colton (hence the Colton Belted Magnum "CBM" moniker). He apparently created a wildcat based on the 7MM Rem Mag cartridge. Besides the MK I he also designed the MK II which I was told is a longer case variant of the same caliber. The rifle has a 24 in. Shillen barrel, Winchester action, and this firearm was supposedly tested by Guns and Ammo Magazine and appeared in one of their issues."

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/need-help-with-a-wildcat-cartridge.3831434/

OP
G
Reactions
Great find MT. Thank you. That story sure has a lot of parallels that seem to be more than mere coincidences. I'll read the article further. Thanks again for your help.

OP
G
Reactions
Well fellas, I hit the veritable jackpot since my post on the .257 Colton. I found the reloading dies for this and 2 other Colton rifles I have. Inside the dies for the .416 Colton Express, I found a 4" square booklet with a lot of the information I needed. Granted it would be helpful to have this booklet for all 3 rifles since this shows case measurements too. But, I can get what I need from this. Just in case any of you have or run across a Colton gun shop prepped rifle, this may help you as well. I'm not sure how many pages I can attach at a time but I guess I'll be finding out. I guess these will have to be clicked on to open them up.

GS

Pg. 1.jpg Pgs. 2 & 3.jpg Pgs. 4 & 5.jpg Pgs. 6 & 7.jpg

Reactions
"MAG-NA-PORT recommended."
:D

RCBS dies.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Kudos to Mr. Colton. Some people just get up and do stuff.

The gun world was a great place in the 60's.

ETA - post a pic of the gun when you have time.:cool:

OP
G
Reactions
I'm not sure but I believe Colton was his last name. His shop ran at least into the 80's given the .416 Colton Express that this booklet was for is hand-signed and dated 1984 along with hand-written notes on the fire-forming process. I also have the RCBS booklet that the Colton booklet references for reloading.

Attached is a picture of the .257 Colton in Ruger #1.

Ruger #1 .257 Colton Mag. #2 (2).jpg

DLS

Reactions
While I love the svelte lines of Ruger's #1 rifle, that big blocky fore grip on the .416 kinda looks cool too, if it was dressed up a bit.

In reality though, it probably would diminish the balance and shotgun like handling the for which the #1 is famous.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Little Shop!
    I went in the place several weeks ago while visiting my kid at school. I ended up buying a new set of electronic ear muffs as my old ones were...
  • Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    My go-to
    Neil has been nothing but professional, helpful and fair since I was a brand new shooter. He and his staff treat everyone with respect and you...
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    1.00 star(s)
    Completely unhappy!
    Not happy, customer service is highly lacking, and the male employees are rude. We wont be back!!
  • Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
Top Bottom