Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.223/.308 availability

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by CounterOfBeans, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CounterOfBeans

CounterOfBeans northwest Active Member

Which cartridge, .223 or .308, is more dependably available? Or are they about the same?

2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I have seen both at most stores I go to. One thing to remmeber is how many rounds are you going to shoot. 223 is going to be cheaper than the 308 in the long run:thumbup:

3. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

They are both about equally available.

Do you care to elaborate on your intended use or why you are comparing?

4. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

223 hunting and plinking ammo at walmart and local Sporting stores for the last year in stock at lease 3 weeks a month...

308 is very limited and when it is in, its only hunting ammo...

5. CounterOfBeans

Prudence. If anyone wants to commit their self to an all around good utility rifle and part of the equation of that choice is choosing a caliber that will stand the best chance of being available if economics got accutely bad, what caliber would stand the best chance or being available. Also, if its premature to assume that .223 or .308 are the only options for that question, other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks.

6. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

Both have extensive battlefield experience and would make a good choice but are very different in terms of practical purpose and specific end use.

I would say if price is a large factor the .223 is a good capable man stopper (unless there is body armor involved) and .308 Is even better at either close or long range but significantly more expensive. That being said stocking up is a great way to beat future economics and uncertainty and what you can afford is the best choice. If price is a huge issue go 7.62x39 and get an AK

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I chose 308. I'm not a big fan of 223 myself. Availability is about the same. 308 is more expensive but a better overall performer hands down.

8. CounterOfBeans

I suspected that what you guys have said was the case, but I wanted to test my assumptions. Your answers make it easier to get off the fence about the choice. Thanks.

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Don't know about .308, but .223 is plentiful everywhere I look.