JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of these days I want to try loading my own 20-gauge shells with some various "organic" loads. Peppercorns and various other seeds should do pretty well with a light target load. Would take some experimenting to find what would take down large flying insects without damaging house siding or glass.

In the past I have loaded 12ga shot shells with SAND and had great success against birds pecking on the house. These were patterned on paper and effective to about 20 ft. then the sand lost any inertia and no damage resulted. If you decide to go this route make sure to use an alternative to the plastic WAD as these will damage siding/windows for quite a distance.
Card wads work.
Good Luck

I didn't even think of this!
.410 b.jpg

Wife and I were discussing whether our Harbor Freight electronic "bug zapper tennis racket" would work on a 2" hornet. It certainly zaps any fly you can find. Just put good flashlight batteries in the handle.

This discussion reminded me of making .44 shot shells for my 3" Charter Arms, back around 1976. Gas check on top of 5 grains Bullseye, pour in 160 grains (about 214 pellets) of #9 shot, then roll crimp over an inverted gas check atop the shot. Managed to ambush a couple of starlings by rolling down the window but telling the driver not to stop (they got wise after we stopped the rig and popped a couple with a .22 revolver). Good times, but little effective range, and overkill for 2" bugs.

Come to think of it, Dad told me the story of wintering in a cabin where a packrat in the rafters was driving him nuts with its noise. He had a single barrel 16 gauge. Pried open a shell (all paper shells in those days), dumped the shot, and filled it with table salt. He was able to take out the rat without blowing a hole in his cabin. Just "raised some hair" on the wood.

All the countermeasures posted here look entertaining and likely functional in killing an individual hornet. BUT, there's one issue particularly for the methods that don't result in instant death that needs to be considered. According to the info posted by the WA Agr department, when alarmed, the hornets emit pheromones that alarm and attract the rest of the hive that may result in one getting swarmed while only armed with a badminton racket. Could be a painful or fatal situation. The advice and request is to track them to their nest and call the state Ag departments.
<Hornets | Washington State Department of Agriculture>

You could get one of these flare guns that shoot 26.5mm shells which might be up to the task. ;) You can load whatever you want in them with black powder loads (have to leave out that plastic flare load thing). Light BP load with salt f e. On second thought, black powder indoors might be a bit stinky...
576F2444-F2F6-4D0D-987F-73B301B5DE22.jpeg
F29526A7-60AA-4F99-B18B-184B74F08EF3.jpeg

Uh maybe it's just me but what about actual wasp/hornet spray? Shoots 20 ft and drops wasps instantly or maybe carb cleaner that does the same and like mentioned above can be an improvised flame thrower but kinda dangerous. I have Federal rat shot which is crimped at the end rather than the lil capsules like CCI which in my experience works better for dispursion on rats but there are only so many pellets per shot and hitting a 2" target might prove a challenge at greater distance. I think carrying a spray can with multiple shot bursts and 20-22' range would be better and no damage to property or persons.

View attachment 692891
Might be better to sick Tim Wells, the U-Tube famous archery "slocker" of all animal targets. If you don't know about him, your missing out. Very entertaining and deadly accurate with that bow. He shoots birds out of the sky and has hit bumblebees in flight with both a bow and blowgun!

A few people posted what I was going to write.

Use soapy water in a spray bottle OR use wasp/hornet spray.

I would not be shooting a gun of any type on a brick, stone or 'sided' house, garage or barn.

I admit that I do NOT know jack squat about 22 shotshells and I never bought them. I saw them in the stores out here and I asked my husband about them. I never paid attention to that ammo back east.

I have used both of the above methods back east (Great Lakes region - farm/lake country.) and out here in MT. They worked. My late family used soapy water on hornet/wasp nests on the East Coast too. They left the honey bees alone but they sprayed the nasty ones.

I used it on a wood pile - stack of logs back east too. It was a pretty big pile of wood too.

I had one of those hanging lights that supposedly zapped flying insects too.

The thing that worked the best was natural. Build yourself a bird house or a couple of them. The birds will EAT most insects that may 'bug' you. NO pun intended! I think that 'Martins' were well known for doing that but I am not positive on my memory for that specific Martin bird now.

Your mileage may vary.

Cate

Well first it was Earthquakes that put the fear in all the Oregonians, then the Coronavirus was so scary the Oregonians forgot about the Earth quakes and west of I5 being toast. Now the huge hornets will make the Oregonians forget about the Corona virus. . The Yellowstone Volcanoe is the real deal guys live in fear. I am so mean !!!:D

I'm thinking about writing AG Ferguson and requesting that he recommends and backs an amendment to RCW 9.41.190 to legalize automatic firearms in WA.

Why mess around with 410s and bug zappers?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top