JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems those of us in the NW will soon have a new intruder to deal with Rantz: Washington's Asian 'murder hornets' will probably kill us all

This got me to thinking, it seems to me that possibly 22 shotshell might be an appropriate type of ammo for 2" long hornets.

Would it be effective on big bugs at under 30' distance? (I'm thinking if I see one on my 2 story house)
How much damage to the exterior wood would you think might occur?
Would I be better with some other type of ammo?
Trying to determine what would be best against 2" murder bugs that also won't destroy (some damage is OK, the wood exterior has a "rough" look) my house and has limited down-range danger to life and property.

I'd be using a 16" rifle BTW.

I thought about an air rifle, but I like the shotshell aspect of the 22

I have 2 of the Bugasalt guns. One is the newest 3.0 version with more power than the original and a better trigger.

They are great for flys and spiders or other soft bodied insects. But Hornets and wasps have a much tougher shell. Your really are talking a chance of just pissing then off.

I have seen airguns that shoot shotshells.

FOR USE IN THE GAMO VIPER AND SHADOW EXPRESS SHOTGUNS ONLY! The Viper Express has all the power and penetration needed for hunting small game and birds at medium to close range. Our precision, raised ribbed, chocked barrel yields a tight pattern of only 6 at 10 yards. The new EXP20 .22 caliber shotshell delivers a 17 grain payload of #9 shot with enough power and velocity to penetrate over 1/4 of 200 lb compressed paper board at over 10 yards. Ideal for hunting small game on the run or in the air.

gamo-express-exp20-shot-shells-25-ct-4.jpg

1) "I thought about an air rifle, but I like the shotshell aspect of the 22"
Killing them with an air rifle would be a mighty feat of marksmanship indeed! I once killed a big fly with my air rifle, but it was at rest.
2) "Your really are talking a chance of just pissing then off. (sic)
Yup, always use enough gun when taking on dangerous critters
3) I'm thinking a small handgun in .22 WMR for killer hornets, like a S&W Mod. 651, Ruger LCP, High Standard Derringer with shotshells, etc.
If you don't have a sidearm in that caliber a .38 or .357 with shotshells should work just fine.
4) Just because somebody found one or some doesn't necessarily mean we're all doomed.

I've used 22 shotshell on small rattlers. Ten feet or less is okay. Probably the same on hornets. 12 gauge with small shot might be better. And you should hope the hornet does not have friends nearby.

Not criticizing you at all, just bringing up how the media has to whip things up with breathless presentation.

"12 gauge with small shot might be better. And you should hope the hornet does not have friends nearby."
We could all take to carrying a 12 ga. and say it's for hornet control.

Any firearm has too much potential for collateral damage. :eek:

Stop off at Good Will and pick up a couple of Badminton Rackets.:confused:

They're cheap, light weight, easy to swing quickly and, I've found, one
swipe takes the wings right off of a hornet, or horse fly. :D

Then you step on the body and listen for the crunch. :)

How fast you bring your foot down will, of course depend whether you've
been bitten/stung or not. :mad:

When I was a kid, seasonal activities included hunting ground hornet nests to fill with gas and light at night in the summers, and cutting the heads off of hibernating woodpile hornets in the winter with your pocket knife. Bonus points if you got it to bite your blade afterwards. Guess I'm going to have to upgrade the rules a bit with napalm and a broadsword...

One of these days I want to try loading my own 20-gauge shells with some various "organic" loads. Peppercorns and various other seeds should do pretty well with a light target load. Would take some experimenting to find what would take down large flying insects without damaging house siding or glass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top