Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.22 short in a .22 LR revolver?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by davyvan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. davyvan

davyvan Gig Harbor New Member

Can I shoot .22 shorts in a .22LR revolver (Puma 1873-22) without harming the chamber walls? I've heard it will, but like to shoot the shorts in my yard since they don't travel as far as a LR.
    Thanks

2. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I think you'd have to shoot a jillion rounds and never ever clean your revolver for any real effect to be shown.

3. davyvan

I didn't think so either, but it's always good to check with more experienced shooters.
    Thanks

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

No problem with shorts, longs and long rifle or even shotshell or CB caps.

5. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Correct, shorts are not a problem. I hate to date myself but in the 1960's you could buy the 22 shorts at your local drug store and they were dirt cheap. They had them all over the place, but I rarely see them anymore.

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The only thing that could possible happen is after a LOT of shorts have been fired you may have to clean the chambers before a LR well fit.

7. davyvan

Good to know, the shorts are more expensive than LR so I don't use them for plinking much, what I like about them is they aren't loud, even in a handgun, and the lower velocity, great for pests the cat is too lazy to catch. Since I live in a rural area it's OK to shoot on my property with a good backstop, but I still like to be considerate of my nieghbors

8. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Accuracy may suffer a bit as compared to that obtained with Long Rifle ammunition the gun is designed for (due to the bullet traveling some before engaging rifling, allowing for the chance of it engaging at a slight angle). The only other issue (as madcrate advised) is that cartridges shorter than what the chamber is designed for will leave a deposit of powder residue in the chamber, which, over time and with no cleaning, can obstruct later chambering of a Long Rifle cartridge.

Your stipulation about them "not traveling as far" as a Long Rifle cartridge is with little merit when applied to a backyard situation. Even a .22 Short is a very deadly cartridge if the bullet is allowed to travel where not intended. Certainly, a safe backstop that will reliably stop a .22 Short MAY not be quite that required to stop a Long Rifle: but if you are experimenting at the edge of full and complete safety (for either cartridge) you are not safe.

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The only issue is the lead buildup will make chamber of 22 LR difficult.. just clean the cylinders well

10. davyvan

I understand, and wouldn't shoot a BB gun without a safe backstop.

11. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

+1