JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just bought a NIB Mark III Hunter and love it.

But I'm biased since I learned how to shoot with a Mark I.

There are way more aftermarket items for Rugers though and they haven't really changed much in 40 some odd years, so something's gotta be ok.

I shot a few mags through a victory and was a nice shooter. I would still prefer the mkIV though. I learned to shoot with a MKII and the new takedown on the MKIV is so much improved.

The buck mark is nice as well but my issue with it is that the way the slide is open on the bottom corners on both sides I tend to get powder burns on top of my hands when shooting it. Still a nice shooting gun though.

For me the Only .22 Rimfire Pistol is the Smith and Wesson Model 41. I will state that it needs to be one of the earlier ones. The latest version isn't BAD but they aren't as nice as the older ones.

I'm a Ruger fan for sure, but one thing to note about the Browning. The upper is not the serialized part, the frame is. Therefore if you want to swap barrels or whatnot later on you can without having to buy another gun with background check.

They are pretty much equal in my eyes for mods available and reliability.

I couldn't tell you how to take apart a Browning, but the Mark 4 can bring a grown man to tears if they have owned a number of previous ruger models. Cock hammer, place on safe, push button, that easy.

You may want to consider a Buckmark. The trigger is much better than the Ruger. I don't know about the Victory though. They are also just as accurate as any Ruger. I've owned 3 Mk series Rugers over the years but my favorite .22 pistol for sure is my Buckmark. If you put in an aftermarket trigger in a Ruger though it is a worth while investment and imo is necessary.

For the shear fact of aftermarket parts and mods, pick the ruger. You cant go wrong. If you ever get bored of it you can always modify it into a fun range toy. Just my 2 cents.

Had both, now only have the Ruger. The S&W is a fun, accurate gun, and is much lighter than the MK4, it has fiber optic sight from the factory, easy take down, and decent aftermarket support, but the Ruger just seems a lot more robust, and I think it will last longer. Not that a 22 is going to need to be beefy. I ended up having to choose one, and the Ruger MK4 won.

I bought a Victory, non threaded barrel, on special a year ago for $280. Really a fine pistol for that kind of money, and I like it a lot. I used the savings to add an inexpensive reflex sight ($21) and the Volquartzen trigger ($45?) sculptured wood grips ($60). The thing is wickedly accurate and runs really well after only a few hundred rounds to break in the stainless action. Quite easy to clean (yes, 1 screw vs zero on the Mark IV, but as has been stated earlier, FAR better than my Mark II which I still love). Tandemkross has a nice assortment of goodies for the Victory. Volquartzen makes incredible barrel sets for it. The Ruger will set you back probably about $100 more to start (22/45 doesn't come in stainless), and there are perhaps more accessories for it.
My brother got a Ruger Mark IV, doesn't shoot it much after getting a Browning Buckmark ... SO different strokes, and ALL fine, fun guns! Hopefully you can find somebody with one of each to let you handle and shoot 'em. Otherwise, head to your LGS and handle them, one will talk to you! You'll enjoy any of them (not much help am I!)

-Kevin

Ask about two models and you'll get a bunch of different opinions you didn't ask for... :rolleyes:
Lol, I know, my post I brought up the Browning Buckmark and it wasn't even mentioned. I just thought that was the two in comparison, didn't realize he was asking about the S&W until I reread.

Get something cool..

th?id=OIP.gQEirtDD_pobzG7RYISYLgHaFj&w=237&h=178&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

From a Ruger MK II, MK III & MK IV owner I'm gonna have to say get the Ruger. Good shooters, robust, never had a problem in any of mine over thousands and thousands of rounds.

I have to also say I wish Ruger had done the MK IV first! So much easier to re-assemble than the older models.

From a Ruger MK II, MK III & MK IV owner I'm gonna have to say get the Ruger. Good shooters, robust, never had a problem in any of mine over thousands and thousands of rounds.

I have to also say I wish Ruger had done the MK IV first! So much easier to re-assemble than the older models.

Ahh, but that adrenaline high you get when it all snaps back together the first try after not having done it in awhile will be something you won't get from the mark 4:p:D.

With YouTube and the hundreds of disassembly / reassembly videos I don't really have issues for more then a min putting mine back together anymore.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top