JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, a Connecticut High Standard Victor.

IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2764.JPG

I have had no less than 4 ruger Mk1 pistols - I have yet to have a bad one. If it was me I would be looking for an early Ruger Mk1. I have my uncles the first pistol / handgun I ever shot. I was pretty young and the memory is a bit blurry but to me that is one of my prizes. He used to shoot on the Ryan Arepspace team at the San Diego Sherriffs firing range and was good enough with it to win several nice fire arms. To me there are more expensive guns but not better in my opinion.

I had a MK1 in the late 70's to shoot DJV courses in Germany. I hated that pistol. The game required several magazine changes and it would skin my fingers every time with the pathetic magazine release. Off course, my current 22/45 solved that......but I bought a Colt Woodsman match target and never looked back. If you want a cheep throw away......Rugers are OK.....but for similar money today, you can buy a fine gun like a High Standard HD, a Browning, or Colt. Off course, I rarely buy new guns. A Smith 41 is a magnificent machine too.

If you want a cheep throw away......Rugers are OK.....but for similar money today, you can buy a fine gun like a High Standard HD, a Browning, or Colt.

I'm not even sure how to reply to that...

None of my Rugers are cheap throw away gunso_O

My brand new mark 3 Hunter will only have $560 into it and that's grips and comp trigger. I still have the mark 1 I started with at 4 and have never had an issue with it. I expect they will both be passed down many times before they are trash.

The Hunter was stupid accurate bone stock.

8519D97D-BB38-4123-8C4D-E21965490FB3.jpeg

My brand new mark 3 Hunter will only have $560 into it and that's grips and comp trigger. I still have the mark 1 I started with at 4 and have never had an issue with it. I expect they will both be passed down many times before they are trash.

I have a Hunter MK IV (?) 22/45, shoot it nearly every day.....cost me over 700 new 10 years ago. It isn't even in the same class is my Colt Woodsman or other quality firearms I have owned. Cast plastic junk throw away. Compare this to PO18guy's High Standard Victor. Those are Olympic class guns........when was the last time you saw a Ruger in the Olympics?

Last Edited:
View attachment 486868
I have a Hunter MK IV (?) 22/45, shoot it nearly every day.....cost me over 700 new 10 years ago. It isn't even in the same class is my Colt Woodsman or other quality firearms I have owned. Cast plastic junk throw away. Compare this to PO18guy's High Standard Victor. Those are Olympic class guns........when was the last time you saw a Ruger in the Olympics?

Your problem was getting the 22/45, they are a cheaper version of the originals.

Mines all stainless, frame and barrel. Plus I have the 7" barrel on mine.

They probably aren't Olympic ready as is but can be if you want to modify them.

I wouldn't go with your recommendations though based on their relatively scaresness compared to the Ruger and all of the places that sell OEM and aftermarket parts.

IMG_3036.JPG

Your problem was getting the 22/45, they are a cheaper version of the originals.

Mines all stainless, frame and barrel. Plus I have the 7" barrel on mine.

They probably aren't Olympic ready as is but can be if you want to modify them.

I wouldn't go with your recommendations though based on their relatively scaresness compared to the Ruger and all of the places that sell OEM and aftermarket parts.

View attachment 486872
That is why they are NEVER used in serious competition. They are a good casual gun.......not a great gun and expensive these days. I would never had paid what I did for mine but I ordered it through a gun dealer buddy of mine and just told him to get me the best Ruger available without asking the price. I bought it to train my daughter for her job in the USCG. Trigger is marginal, ugly to take down and clean......always goes to the Gunsmith for that......runs a year or so with mostly CLP oil before starting to malfunction and needing a trip to the Smith. Have you ever owned a fine pistol? I can understand a "for the money" argument but you can buy a really good High Standard for 700.00 these days.

That is why they are NEVER used in serious competition. They are a good casual gun.......not a great gun and expensive these days. I would never had paid what I did for mine but I ordered it through a gun dealer buddy of mine and just told him to get me the best Ruger available without asking the price. I bought it to train my daughter for her job in the USCG. Trigger is marginal, ugly to take down and clean......always goes to the Gunsmith for that......runs a year or so with mostly CLP oil before starting to malfunction and needing a trip to the Smith. Have you ever owned a fine pistol? I can understand a "for the money" argument but you can buy a really good High Standard for 700.00 these days.
You actually take your Ruger to the gunsmith to take it down - really?

THe Ruger's has a plunge that has to fit in a certain way and I will admit that it is pain at times however I have never had or lost a piece from stripping a Ruger down and for me that is a big plus I need to depend on it and there might be times I need to clean it in the field. It is not a fighting gun but rather a gun that will get me dinner. It is accurate and extremely dependable. I have not had it in my handxs for sometime but I know how it feels as if I had just put it down. To me there are fancier and more exspensive but none I would rather have.

I've shot tricked out Rugers that had volquestarn insides and barrels that were excellent guns but so far I've yet to spend more then $430 on a pistol.

I understand for a lot of people the difference in a used $430 gun and a brand new $700 gun is marginal but by the time you add tax in it's dang near twice the price for me and it already takes me months to save up enough to buy a used casual gun.

I do have a hi standard shotgun from 1951 and it's hands down my favorite gun, but it was a $100 FTF back in the day and needed some smoothing to get it where it is today after some abuse by the previous owner.

I'm still going to have to say, unless your a way above average shooter, that a Ruger will outshoot you 9 times out of 10.

An exotic sports car is wasted on the man who can't pull all of the potential out of it. I'm thinking guns are the same.

Although I look forward to a time when I have access to excellent hardware;)

Fair comments. I own exotic cars too.......have since I bought my first Porsche at 16. I find it is more about choice than budget. I learn and decide what is good and watch for a deal on it. Sometimes, it doesn't work out and I move on.......like my first Ruger auto pistol........but in the long run quality always wins out. I bought my first Porsche 1n 1967, a 1952 Contential coupe for 200.00. Today it is worth closer to 200,000 as is the 1955 Speedster I bought for 100.00 from a junkyard in Pocatello Idaho in 1980......gun's are similar. I was doing a little gun inventory last night for my insurance guy......came to over 150,000 but the orignal cost was nothing like that. My buddies were all spending more than my 200.00 on tri 5 Chevies and the like.......they have increased in value too.....maby 50 K for a good one........1/4 of the money my 356 is worth and they invested 10 times more to buy them. In the long run.......quality always wins.

Last Edited:

Dang, my MK4 Hunter is around $900 with all of the extra stuff that I bought.

I have a couple of 22/45's and have been running them without issues for years. Having seen so many 22's being run over the years at the us national steel championships I'll rank the top two for performance and reliability.

1. S&W Model 41
2. Ruger 10/22

Also a key is the ammo, all the pros run CCI standard velocity. The higher velocity rifle ammo leaves too much residual powder and will gum up your gun and lead to malfunctions.

Shannon Smith borrowed my 41 for at least 7-8 years and only had a few malfunctions. That's a lot of rounds and performed as well or better than any gun out there.

I paid around 700 - 850 for the ones I bought but that was a few years ago. I watched gun broker and a few sites and there were some high priced ones but I was patient and deals came around.

I paid around 700 - 850 for the ones I bought but that was a few years ago. I watched gun broker and a few sites and there were some high priced ones but I was patient and deals came around.
Very nice. I know a couple guys from the club that have picked up great deals on Model 41s.
Great deals are Time and Place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My dads first pistol ever and my first .22 pistol.

His still functions flawlessly, new in 1979.

Ruger MKI and MKIII 22/45
DB57CA9E-BFF1-4390-ADFE-44D692861E58.jpeg

A lot has changed but don't feed them crap ammo and you can't go wrong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top