JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought the mk4 Hunter. Swapped the firing group for volquartsen, the front fiber for Target, the rear blade for volquartsen, and the firing pin and extractor to fix the light primer strikes. Now she runs 100% with a 1.5# trigger. She rings 8" steel at about 40 yards consistently.

I love to Hot Rod 22 semiauto pistols. I have owned several different Ruger Mark IIs
and one Mark III. The 5.5" Mark III I have now has a Volquartsen trigger and sear package.
Low mount Burris Fast Fire 3. Magazine disconnect removed and Hogue grips. My Smith
Victory model has Tademkross trigger, compinsator and hammer. Grip tape and Burris
Fast Fire sight. Comparison between the two? The grip angle is a little different I prefer the
Victory's less of an angle. The Ruger is heavier due to it's steel frame. The Smith
is aluminum frame. Both are amazingly accurate very fun to shoot. I have no
problem reassembling Mark IIIs or Mark IIs having owned one for 25 years.
Great guns for our club's 22 falling plate matches. :pI like shooting both of them.
They are both keepers.:D
DSC00153.JPG
DSC00120.JPG

Hey everybody. Thanks for all your replies, insights and opinions. Lots to think about. Will be out of town for a week so Will ponder all of this. Thanks again. Great forum.

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but between the 2, I'd go Ruger all the way. Far more options, more accessories, better support overall, and easier to sell if you ever decide to part ways. Nothing against S&W, or the Victory, but it doesn't have the following or support of the Ruger. Still, I think it's a fine gun, one I wouldn't mind having in the collection.

There is a guy selling a really attractive slab sided ruger mark 3 22/45 right now in the classifieds.

My 2 cents:

I used to have a Mark I(?) Ruger. It never felt right in my hands and I didn't shoot it well at all.
I now have a Victory. It's extremely accurate and fits my hands nicely. I do have to keep an eye on the take down screw so that it doesn't vibrate loose, but otherwise it's great. Right now I've got a reflex sight on it for grins, but it really doesn't need it.

I would say, try them both out and pick whatever feels best to your hand.

I would consider that a serious problem while shooting, and unacceptable!
I've had it loosen up on me at the range once, so I carry an Allen wrench in my range bag and check it periodically. A little purple loctite, or better yet a small rubber washer, will fix it someday when I get around to it.
It's just something I thought the potential buyer should be made aware of.

I have Browning Buckmarks, Ruger standard (Mark I from 1954), an old high standard military model and a smith and wesson.

My preference is the buckmark.

There will be no winner for this discussion, either.

I've owned them all. And they shoot very similarly. If you have a favorite, go for it.

I, however, have stuck with the Ruger's as my preferred pistol of these choices, and even then, only the Standard Auto, the Mark I, or the Mark II. They will last forever, and if a person actually reads the owners manual, they are quite easy to field strip. I've discovered over a lot of years too, there's little need for field stripping.

No recalls on the "Mark I" Unless you have to have new, I would just look for a really nice used Ruger. Impossible to wear out in a lifetime.

I'd look more at the Mark II/III as there are more aftermarket parts and barrel configurations.

I have a Mark I (or Standard) and Mark III SS Hunter.

Last Edited:
No matter the pistol, I think one of these are a must have. Just ordered one off Amazon for $18.99.

Video is 2:31, so it's short.

I have had an Ultimate Cliploader for years to use with Ruger MK series. It turns out it works just fine for my Buckmark too. Either way it is very nice to just stuff you magazine in the slot and it fills up with ammo in just moments so I would recommend them too. The only issue is that it makes going through at least twice the amount of ammo in the same period of time very easy.

Ahh, but that adrenaline high you get when it all snaps back together the first try after not having done it in awhile will be something you won't get from the mark 4:p:D.

With YouTube and the hundreds of disassembly / reassembly videos I don't really have issues for more then a min putting mine back together anymore.

Yeah, I only have mkII target pistols and they are very easy to take apart and clean. I don't know what all the fuss is about. They require no tools for disassembly. Pretty straight forward, once you've done it a time or 2... I've handled the s&w at the lgs and wasn't that impressed. Another vote for Ruger..

There will be no winner for this discussion, either.

I've owned them all. And they shoot very similarly. If you have a favorite, go for it.

I, however, have stuck with the Ruger's as my preferred pistol of these choices, and even then, only the Standard Auto, the Mark I, or the Mark II. They will last forever, and if a person actually reads the owners manual, they are quite easy to field strip. I've discovered over a lot of years too, there's little need for field stripping.

Amen!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads