Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WTB OR .22 for kids

Discussion in 'Handguns Wanted' started by recon22ak, Jan 24, 2016.

1. recon22ak

recon22ak Clackamas, OR New Member

Want a .22 semi-auto pistol for my kids to learn with. Nothing expensive. Nothing of cheap value either. But a gun that can definitely "hit the broad side of a barn". Hopefully within the $100-200 range. If your price is close, please reply it's worth a try.

Joe13 likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If you want a simi-auto handgun your looking in the $300 range for a decent used one.

Buy a "target" pistol and not one of the smaller versions of the full size guns (Walther p22), more like a Ruger Mark 2 or 3.

If your kids are bran new to shooting, a rifle is always easier to hit what your aiming at (and can be found in your $100-200 range).

Just my two cents.

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How's your supply of .22lr ammo?
    It's still hard to find and kids can go through a lot when having fun.

Joe13 likes this.
  4. Logan Wilson

Logan Wilson Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Nothing against this but IMO mouse guns are hard for practiced shooters to hit targets out past 7 yards.

I learned at age 4 on a Ruger Standard (now a Mark 1) and still have it and the 3 magazines from 35 years ago. I can pop the tacks off a target at 25 yards all day with that gun.

Tried a Taurus PT-22 mouse gun (it was horrible) and have used a Walther P22 in speed steel compititions but ONLY because my Ruger only has 8 round mags and the extra 3 rounds in competition is a huge issue. I kinda stopped going to the speed shoots because the Walther, while a fine gun and great for carry, is not a target pistol and I am greatly hindered by a 2" barrel on a mouse gun or mini-platform of a standard size gun.

On a side note to the OP - I wouldn't rule out a revolver. Many can be found at pawn shops for under $200 and they will have to take a breath to reload every 6-10 shots... May save you some ammo:D

6. Logan Wilson

Logan Wilson Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Joe13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.