JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. I went shooting this past weekend with my Ruger 10/22 and was having some issues. I'm shooting a stock 10/22 with 2x Butler Creek 25/22 steel lips mags. Ammo is Remington Thunderbolt 22. Had 2 of the cases split along the side and jammed up in the chamber. The cases were easy to dislodge. Ran about 250 round through the gun, and these were the only splits. Had a 2 fail to feeds but I think that was user error. Gun was clean prior to this outing (I clean after each outing) and was cleaned afterwards. I inspected and noticed no signs of any bolt, chamber, or feed ramp issues. Any ideas what could cause the cases to split like this?

Thanks!

2015-09-22 17.53.12.jpg

I have had failure to fire a couple of times with Remington 22 ammo, so I don't shoot it

Most Rem is good stuff, but the Thunderbolt is always a problem causer if you shoot much of it.
The Goldens are fine. The other rem ammo is fine.

I do know a few folks that have had no problem with the Thunderbolt, but I did.

Last Edited:
Hey all. Thank you for the replies. This 10/22 is not brand new. I've had it for about 4 years, and in that time i've only put Thunderbolt ammo through it using the the Butler Creek mags. I've probably gotten about 3000 rounds down range with no issues from either the ammo or the mags. The fail to feeds were most likely caused by me not inserting the mags fully, as that happens from time to time even with the factory Ruger mag. As for the ammo, i've never seen 22 cases split like that and was wondering what the possible causes for such a thing might be, besides that it's just dirty crap cheap ammo. Could it be something in my rifle?

Ruger changed the feed angle on the 10-22s at one point, BC mags were designed off the early guns....ever wonder why the Ruger BX mags have adjustable feed lips?

I have nvr had a problem with BC mags, but my 10/22 is 22 years old....

and Thunderbolts.....none of my semi-autos have run them...save those for bolt guns

Hey all. Thank you for the replies. This 10/22 is not brand new. I've had it for about 4 years, and in that time i've only put Thunderbolt ammo through it using the the Butler Creek mags. I've probably gotten about 3000 rounds down range with no issues from either the ammo or the mags. The fail to feeds were most likely caused by me not inserting the mags fully, as that happens from time to time even with the factory Ruger mag. As for the ammo, i've never seen 22 cases split like that and was wondering what the possible causes for such a thing might be, besides that it's just dirty crap cheap ammo. Could it be something in my rifle?

Not a new gun - check
Not new mags - check
Split cases = crap ammo

End of story....

P.s. Thunderbolt has a bad rep for a reason. Consider yourself lucky that youve been problem free untill now.

Go buy a few different brands and see if any of those cases split.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top