Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

22 Cal issue

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by QuietChaos, Sep 22, 2015.

1. QuietChaos

QuietChaos Hillsboro Member

Hey all. I went shooting this past weekend with my Ruger 10/22 and was having some issues. I'm shooting a stock 10/22 with 2x Butler Creek 25/22 steel lips mags. Ammo is Remington Thunderbolt 22. Had 2 of the cases split along the side and jammed up in the chamber. The cases were easy to dislodge. Ran about 250 round through the gun, and these were the only splits. Had a 2 fail to feeds but I think that was user error. Gun was clean prior to this outing (I clean after each outing) and was cleaned afterwards. I inspected and noticed no signs of any bolt, chamber, or feed ramp issues. Any ideas what could cause the cases to split like this?

Thanks!

2015-09-22 17.53.12.jpg

2. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

I have had failure to fire a couple of times with Remington 22 ammo, so I don't shoot it

3. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

problem = Remington Thunderbolt = junk cheap made ammo and dirty as hell.

4. U201491

Most Rem is good stuff, but the Thunderbolt is always a problem causer if you shoot much of it.
    The Goldens are fine. The other rem ammo is fine.

I do know a few folks that have had no problem with the Thunderbolt, but I did.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

And the Butler creek mag?
    Just looking for trouble

6. U201491

I have heard that. I had a couple and never had any problem with them. Probably different batches.

7. QuietChaos

QuietChaos Hillsboro Member

Hey all. Thank you for the replies. This 10/22 is not brand new. I've had it for about 4 years, and in that time i've only put Thunderbolt ammo through it using the the Butler Creek mags. I've probably gotten about 3000 rounds down range with no issues from either the ammo or the mags. The fail to feeds were most likely caused by me not inserting the mags fully, as that happens from time to time even with the factory Ruger mag. As for the ammo, i've never seen 22 cases split like that and was wondering what the possible causes for such a thing might be, besides that it's just dirty crap cheap ammo. Could it be something in my rifle?

8. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Ruger changed the feed angle on the 10-22s at one point, BC mags were designed off the early guns....ever wonder why the Ruger BX mags have adjustable feed lips?

I have nvr had a problem with BC mags, but my 10/22 is 22 years old....

and Thunderbolts.....none of my semi-autos have run them...save those for bolt guns

U201491 likes this.
  9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Not a new gun - check
    Not new mags - check
    Split cases = crap ammo

End of story....

P.s. Thunderbolt has a bad rep for a reason. Consider yourself lucky that youve been problem free untill now.

Go buy a few different brands and see if any of those cases split.

U201491 likes this.