Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

2-stamp SBR build finally complete!

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by matt_w, May 27, 2013.

1. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

At long last, my 300BLK SBR w/ silencer is completed! I started collecting parts for this back in August, but the form 1 and 4 only took around 5 months. I have 2 other form 4s that also completed in 5 months, so that seems to be a pretty nominal time. I went the trust route to avoid the extra step of fingerprints/pictures/signatures.

Special thanks to Varo over at OKII Guns. He really helped me by answering all my questions and with my paperwork (I was a total NFA noob going into this). He was also able to order a lot of hard to find Noveske items for me directly from them, even though they were out of stock. I'd really recommend him for any NFA (or normal) transfers!

Here are some pics of the gun. It's basically a Noveske 8.2" upper (their barrel, handguard, and VLTOR upper), on a standard Palmetto lower. Silencer is an AAC SDN-6.

done.jpg
    full.jpg

2. BDA.45

BDA.45 oregon Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I think I just came a little... Yep, I did. Very nice!

3. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

Now that is gorgeous!

4. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Me too...lol

5. df662

df662 Hillsboro, OR Active Member

nice!!! I would be wary of baffle strikes on a barrel that short....

6. JV100

JV100 portland/wilsonville Active Member

oh.. oh.. yep, me too.. bed time lol. Sick looking gun man, great build.

7. HandLoad

HandLoad Gig Harbor Member

NOT FAIR! We can't have SBRs Here in WA! That is a "Proper" Weapon! >>>>>>>>MAJOR JEALOUS!!!

8. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

You new around here?

9. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Must be!!

Hell why's the barrel soo long? You can go another 1" or two shorter..... hahaha

10. df662

Ummm no.

Anyways, I just looked up the minimum recommended barrel length for 300blk with a silencer, it is 7" so you are gtg (sorry I thought it would be the same as 5.56, I'm pretty green when it comes to the 300blk cal).

Min. for 5.56/223 is 10" if I remember correctly....

11. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to insult you. Not my intention.

Look into the 300BLK. It's a hoot with a can. Like spitting heavy little pills a few hundred yards. Ammo right now is very scarce (unless you roll your own) but that will soon change.

12. df662

No problem bud. What was the ammo availability of that cal. like before this whole mess?

13. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

Ammo was becoming more available, but I only saw it online. It was more available and cheaper than 6.8 ammo. Some small companies were putting out subsonic ammo at $0.80/rd, normally $1/round from Remington, and UMC was about $0.60/rd. The UMC was flying off the shelves before hand and Remington was trying to keep up. It looked like it was about to settle and maybe have some locally available when the panic hit.

14. matt_w

I was finding it for around $.50/round supersonic and $.90/round subsonic. It was available online as the other guy said, but not in too many stores. The great thing about 300BLK is you don't need any special components to load your own, just 223/556 brass and 308 bullets. Cutting down your own 223 brass can be very fast and easy. Here is my (almost) idiot-proof setup:

1. Initial trim with harbor freight cutoff saw and custom jig. Can run about 10 cases/minute:
    jig.jpg

2. Run the cut cases through a 300BLK sizer die

3. Do final trim with Little Crow worlds best case trimmer. This thing is amazing, just shove the case in and run your drill for about 1-3 seconds and they come out perfect everytime. I can turn out about 15-20/minute, and they are all within 1 mil of eachother!
    trim.jpg

15. SG85

SG85 503 Member

5 months on the stamps?? That's pretty quick from what I have been told, now I'm getting excited, I'm at month 5 on mine.

Great looking set up!!

16. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Just got my lower engraved for a rifle just like this! Lets hoping for 5 months!

Also what are you loading up? Bullets, power, primer?

One more thing, want to make another jig and sell it to a fellow member? :thumbup:

17. BearArmy

BearArmy OR Active Member

Looks great.

18. Bodyguard

Bodyguard Portland Member 2016 Volunteer

Absolutely Beautiful!!! Nice job on the build. At least I know what my next build will be! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

19. matt_w

There is a guy on the 300blktalk forum who makes them (that's where I got mine).

As far as the loads, I'm still experimenting, but the subsonic recipe that AAC has on their website works:
    300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK)

20. meener777

meener777 King County Active Member

Very, very cool rifle. I'm super jealous! :thumbup: