JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been writing my local reps. Senator Cantwell had been sending the following canned response...
Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

Today I got this...

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
As you know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions intended to reduce gun violence. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes and to create new tools for further background checks.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate assault weapons (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and makes it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently awaiting further debate and review.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.
Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

Obviously she hasn't caved yet. I just can't tell if she is for Feinsteins bill or not, she mentions it but then goes on to talk about other things to do and she mentioned that in the past she had supported the AWB.

Anyway, we need to keep on her and Murray (haven't gotten anything from her) call and write and even post on her facebook. They start debating gun control Wednesday

I received the exact same two responses. The second one today. I started a thread about Patty Murrays response, it was less than stellar.

I write these two once a week. We really need to get Murray gone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Patty Murray has now limited her correspondence to 5000 characters. I've been writing a very similar email everyday and tonight got an error on her page. I had to shorten it a lot.

Patty Murray has now limited her correspondence to 5000 characters. I've been writing a very similar email everyday and tonight got an error on her page. I had to shorten it a lot.

Maybe her email has a quota. I'd write more short letters to keep things even.

I have been sending hand writen letters as well and electronic mail. We need to keep pounding on them and getting everyone we know to write as well, this isn't one we want to loose! I have heard that hand writen letters add more weight to the issue and I am willing to buy stamps by the roll if it helps get my message through.:s0155:

i wrote all the sen/reps of Oregon, so far my responses have been about 50/50 on their views (without counting). its a troubling thing to look at but i did make sure to get my hands and an SKS yesterday and i plan on keeping it.

If I'm not mistaken isn't the scapegoated "gun show loophole" closed in Washington as well? I know it is in Oregon. Nice to know the people that make laws don't even know what current ones are.

I received the same two letters from Cantwell, and have yet to hear a peep from Murray.

If they're limiting characters, I can only hope our response is significant in volume. Keep it up.

I got the same response from Murray, which I found pretty annoying. Especially the combative "there is no question..." part, the stupid "on our streets" part ( mine rarely roam the streets ), followed by a wholly disingenuous promise to keep my views in mind.

So -
we need to come together to begin a real conversation

and...
There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor.

Sounds like an open dialog to me [/sarcasm]

Cantdowell, is softening her stance in E-mails and contacts, what she thought was a sure thing to sail through the Senate is no longer a sure thing.

Make no mistake about it she will vote for gun/mag bans. She is just positioning herself for her next election.

Murray, is just dumb.

I received the same "Form" letters. Typical party line cr^p! How to talk around a subject you know nothing
about in 500 words, or less. Kind of reminds me of the (blue book) essay tests in collage. Fill one up and you always got a passing grade, whether you knew the subject, or not.

How many of these politicos have ever held, much less fired a rifle?:s0131:

Jack...:cool:

I got a response from Murry as well as Cant (do it) well. There is no hope for either of them...except, just maybe..Murry is all about "women's rights" and "women's issues" As I have suggested elsewhere...a very short reminder that

"God made all men equal...Sam Colt included 110lb women"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads