JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are, at least, three bills in the House, and at least one in the Senate to restrict semi-automatic rifles and restrict magazine capacity. They come at the issue from different angles, but they all have one thing in common. That is to inject a definition of an assault weapon. That definition does not presently exist in Wa. law.

Legislative Update from Olympia.

I have not seen this posted here so I am sharing an email in its entirety.
~Whitney
>>>>>>>

BEWARE HB 1384/SB 5256

HB 1100 PASSES OUT OF COMMITTEE

SEVERAL NEW GUN BILLS FILED

SEVERAL PUBLIC HEARINGS SCHEDULED

GOAL POST BACK TO NORMAL DISTRIBUTION

While I was working the annual Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trades (SHOT) show in Las Vegas last week, then on my way to Jacksonville, FL, for the annual meeting of the Florida Sport Shooting Association, they slipped one in on us. HB 1384, by Rep. Roger Goodman D-45) and SB 5256, by Sen. Joe Fain (R-47) carry the innocuous-sounding title "Sexual Force Restraining Order." The law – and the order – already exist. What this bill does is allow extension of a maximum two year restraining order to a LIFETIME ORDER. In effect, this becomes a lifetime ban on the possession of firearms for anyone subject to such an order. In no way do we condone sexual force or violence, but we also recognize that such orders are frequently based on "he said, she said" so-called "evidence" and are frequently used to punish a partner in a divorce or separation proceeding.

HB 1100, mandating mailing of a renewal notice for CPLs, passed out of House Judiciary and sits in House Rules awaiting a pull to the floor.

HB 1384 was heard in House Judiciary last week, and is slated for a vote out of committee this coming Thursday. No action is slated in the Senate at this time. I urge you to contact your Representatives to warn them of the severe impact of the bills and ask them to note "no" if they have the opportunity.

More new gun bills filed. HB 1529 by Rep. Cindy Ryu (D-32) would limit law enforcement (and those citizens aiding law enforcement) use of force. HB 1725, by Rep. John Koster (R-44), exempts CPL holders from the background check requirements of I-594.HB 1739, by Rep. Laurie Jinkins (D-27) allows certain exemptions to the firearms background check in certain cases, such as for pyrotechnic devices (flare guns), some loans, transfer within the family, etc.

SB 5441, by Sen. Patty Kuderer (D-48) would place a six-month freeze on firearm possession for anyone detained for temporarily a period of mental health evaluation, even if no cause was found for the detention. SB 5444, by Sen. David Frockt (D-46) is the Senate counterpart to HB 1387, mandating registration and licensing for "assault weapon:" and "large capacity magazine" possession. SB 5363, by Sen. Guy Palumbo (D-1) is the counterpart to HB 1122, mandating "safe" storage of firearms, under potential felony penalty. This is basically the same bill they have been trying to pass since 1997. Finally, SB 5506, by Sen. Han\s Zeiger (R-25) would allow transfers of firearms at non-profit events such as Ducks Unlimited or Friends of NRA gatherings. SB 5552, by Sen. Jaime Pedersen (D-43), is the counterpart to HB 1731 that makes certain exemptions to I-594. SB 5553, By Sen. Jaime Pedersen (D-43) allows a suicidal person to waive his or her right to possess a firearm for a minimum period of seven days, The waiver is voluntary, as is lifting the waiver. .

A dozen or so public hearings are scheduled next week. See schedule below. Note multiple bills of interest may be heard at one hearing. There's a schedule conflict in the Senate. See note below.

Just FYI., my temporary travels are over – at least until the NRA convention at the end of April, by which time the regular session will be over. Let's not talk about special sessions… yet. GP 2017-5 should come out next Friday evening.

BILL STATUS/GOAL POSITION:

HB 1000 Use of deadly force Doglio (D-22) H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1004 Possession of firearms/state of emergency Shea (R-4) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1015 Limiting restrictions on concealed carry Shea (R-4) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1100 CPL renewal notice Blake (D-19) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1122 Safe storage of firearms Kagi (D-32) H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1134 Assault weapon ban Peterson H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1181 Prohibiting handgun sales registry Blake (D-19) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1190 Prohibiting handgun sales registry Taylor (R-15) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1380 Repeals I-594 Shea (R-4) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1381 Universal recognition of all state CPLs Blake (D-19) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1384 Sexual force protection order Goodman (D-45) H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1387 Assault weapons background check Jinkins (D-27) H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1388 Bans firearm possession in cannabis shops Cody (D-34) H.HC NEUTRAL

HB 1483 Allows destruction of forfeited firearms Lovick (D-44) H. Jud. OPPOSE

HB 1501 Illegal purchase of firearms Hansen (D-23) H. Jud. REVIEW

HB 1529 Use of force Ryu (D-32) H. PubSaf OPPOSE

HB 1725 I-594 check exemption for CPL holders Koster (R-44) H. Jud. SUPPORT

HB 1731 Certain exemptions to I-594 Jinkins (D27) H. Jud. SUPPORT

SB 5000 Use of deadly force McCoy (D-38) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5050 Assault weapon ban Frockt (D-3) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5073 Use of force McCoy (D-38) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5216 Firearm safety education in schools O'Ban (R-28) S. K-12 SUPPORT

SB 5256 Sexual force protection order Fain (R-47) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5259 Bans firearm possession in cannabis shops Rivers (R-18) S. HC NEUTRAL

SB 5268 CPL renewal notice Takko (D-19) S. L&J SUPPORT

SB 5441 Involuntary freeze on firearm possession Kuderer (D-) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5444 Background check for "assault weapons" Frockt (D-46) S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5463 Mandatory safe storage of firearms Palumbo (D- S. L&J OPPOSE

SB 5506 Transfer of firearms at non-profit events Zeiger (R-25) S. L&J SUPPORT

SB 5552 Certain exemptions to I-594 Pedersen (D-43) S. L&J SUPPORT

SB 5553 Suicidal, waiver of rights Pedersen (D-43) S. L&J REVIEW

S. L&J = Senate Law & Justice, H. Jud = House Judiciary, H. PubSaf = House Public Safety, S. HC = Senate Health Care, H. K-12 = House Early education, H. HC = House Health Care

PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULED:

31 Jan Senate Health Care Senate Hearing Room "4" John A. Cherberg Bldg

10:00 a.m. SB 5259

31 Jan Senate Law & Justice Senate Hearing Room "4" John A. Cherberg Bldg

10:00 a.m. SBs 5506, 5552, 5553

31 Jan House Judiciary House Hearing Room "A" John L. O'Brien Bldg

10:00 a.m. HB 1483

31 Jan House Public Safety House Hearing Room "D" John L. O'Brien Bldg

1:30 p.m. HB 1529

2 Feb House Health Care House Hearing Room "A John L. O'Brien Bldg

800 a.m. HB 1388

2 Feb Senate Law & Justice Senate Hearing Room "4" John A. Cherberg Bldg

10-00 a.m. SB 5073

2 Feb House Judiciary House Hearing Room "A" John L. O'Brien Bldg

1:30 p.m. HBs 1122, 1387, committee vote on HB 1384.

There appears to be a conflict in public hearings in the Senate on 31 January. Both Senate Law & Justice and Health Care are scheduled to meet at 10:00 a.m. in Senate hearing Room "4." It's the weekend, so I can't deconflict. Yall be careful there, heah!

LEGISLATIVE HOT LINE: You may reach your Representatives and Senator by calling the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000. Toll free!!! The hearing impaired may obtain TDD access at 1-800-635-9993. Also toll free!!!

1-800-562-6000 TDD 1-800-635-9993

OTHER DATA: Copies of pending legislation (bills), legislative schedules and other information are available on the legislature's web site at "www.leg.wa.gov". Bills are available in Acrobat (.pdf) format. You may download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe's web site (Adobe: Creative, marketing and document management solutions). You may also obtain hard copy bills, initiatives, etc, in the mail from the Legislative Bill Room FREE OF CHARGE by calling 1-360-786-7573. Copies of bills may also be ordered toll free by calling the Legislative Hotline at (800) 562-6000. You may also hear floor and committee hearing action live at Home - TVW, Washington States' Public Affairs Network (you need "RealAudio" to do this, available free at the TVW web site).

By reading the House and Senate "bill reports" (hbr, sbr) for each bill, you can see how individual committee members voted. By reading the "roll call" for each bill, you can see how the entire House or Senate voted on any bill. The beauty of the web site is that ALL this information is available, on line, to any citizen.

GET THE WORD OUT: If you want to subscribe to the GOAL Post by e-mail, send a message to "[email protected]". Please pass GOAL Post on to anyone you believe may have an interest in protecting our rights. Better yet, make a couple of copies of this message, post it on your gun club's bulletin board, and leave copies with your local gun shop(s). PERMISSION IS HEREBY GRANTED TO DUPLICATE OR REDISTRIBUTE GOAL POST PROVIDED IT IS REPRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY WITHOUT TEXTUAL MODIFICATION AND CREDIT IS GIVEN TO GOAL. I can be reached at "[email protected]" or by telephone at (425) 985-4867. Unfortunately, I am unable to mail hard copy GOAL Post to individuals. Limited numbers of hard copies MAY be available at the Second Amendment Foundation book table at WAC gun shows.

If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail me at "[email protected]" with the words "Unsubscribe GOAL Post" in the subject line. I will remove your name immediately. Keep in mind GOAL Post is also published on several gun lists. If you received GP via a list, you must contact that list's admin to unsubscribe.

Upcoming WAC gun show(s):

Puyallup 04-05 February

Monroe 18-19 February

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

Article 1, Section 24

Constitution of the State of Washington

Copyright 2017 Gun Owners Action League of WA

Although protection orders of any kind should never be made permanent for all sorts of reasons, strictly speaking, most SAPOs (sexual assault protection orders) do not restrict firearm rights. In order for an order to restrict firearm rights, the protected party and the restrained party need to be "intimate partners" (spouses, former spouses, have a child in common, or live together as part of a dating relationship). SAPOs are generally for sexual assaults by strangers, like one-time date rapes, etc. If the perpetrator and the victim are "intimate partners," then it would be a DVPO rather than a SAPO and a DVPO does restrict firearm rights (and can be made permanent, which is an abomination, but a topic for another day).

For those that live in Clark County Washington.

With the exception of District 49 all of the Clark County state legislators are pro-gun.

Listed below are the legislators that are currently supporting these anti-gun measures.

Please call them and let them know that you strongly disagree with this proposed legislation. District 49 (Vancouver-Hazel Dell-Vancouver Lake)
Senator: Annette Cleveland (D) 360-786-7696 (one of the sponsors of SB 5050) Representative: Sharon Wylie (D) 360-786-7924 Representative: Monica Stoner (D) 360-786-7872

For those that live in Clark County Washington.

With the exception of District 49 all of the Clark County state legislators are pro-gun.

Listed below are the legislators that are currently supporting these anti-gun measures.

Please call them and let them know that you strongly disagree with this proposed legislation. District 49 (Vancouver-Hazel Dell-Vancouver Lake)
Senator: Annette Cleveland (D) 360-786-7696 (one of the sponsors of SB 5050) Representative: Sharon Wylie (D) 360-786-7924 Representative: Monica Stoner (D) 360-786-7872
As a prisoner of the 49th, I just left a message with a staffer in Sen Cleveland's office. I have written the other two as well and have met Rep. Wylie in person in the past to discuss I-594 and she was at least receptive. I hate living in the legislative district, I have really had no representation for my entire adult life....it does get tiring.

Gun Control Hearing in WA Thursday, Big Turnout Expected

Rights activists and gun prohibitionists will descend on the Washington State capitol in Olympia Thursday for hearings on a couple of bills that deal with licensing and registration, and so-called "safe storage" proposals that Seattle-based anti-gunners claim are "gun violence prevention" measures.

ALERT: Gun Control Hearing in WA Thursday, Big Turnout Expected

Gun Control Hearing in WA Thursday, Big Turnout Expected

Rights activists and gun prohibitionists will descend on the Washington State capitol in Olympia Thursday for hearings on a couple of bills that deal with licensing and registration, and so-called "safe storage" proposals that Seattle-based anti-gunners claim are "gun violence prevention" measures.

ALERT: Gun Control Hearing in WA Thursday, Big Turnout Expected

I wonder how well this will go for us, considering that the committee chair and three other committee members are sponsors of both bills. It wouldn't surprise me if the anti's are given free reign to testify, while the pro-gun side gets shut down.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top