JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys I've never done a USPSA match and i see there is one coming up this weekend at DRRC. I am proficient with my pistol, have 6 mags, OWB holster and mag carrier. Any advice for a 1st timer doing a USPSA?

I'll be there at that match. Wanna talk on the phone? Send me a convo and I'll give my number.

For the record of this thread, though, I'd first suggest Youtube. There is an amazing channel called PowerFactorShow that goes through a lot of foundational descriptions of what you may encounter. Also, there are quite a few vids of Douglas Ridge stages so you can just get a little taste of what it will look like. Just search DRRC or Douglas Ridge USPSA.

I do think one of the most important things to start with is knowing the commands. "On Deck" means you are next after the current shooter. "In the hole" means you are after the shooter on deck and you really no longer are expected to help resetting until after you shoot. The on deck shooter, once the range is declared safe from the previous shooter, has to be given the right-of-way to run through the stage without people getting in the way picking up brass or whatever. When you are up, the RO will say "Make ready." Facing downrange, you draw your empty gun, load a full magazine, charge the pistol, and then re-holster. Some people draw the empty gun full speed for an extra practice. Some people look at one or more sight pictures, especially of the first target. Some people load a round from a different mag, remove that mag and stow it, and then insert their first mag, especially if shooting open or limited. The RO asks, "Are you ready" and you do not have to answer. You can stay completely focused. Your lack of answer says you are. "Stand by" means the beep is about to occur...do not flinch or start to move your body. Once the timer beeps, shoot your course of fire as planned. Once the course of fire is over, and you are keeping your gun in a safe direction, the RO says "If you are finished, unload and show clear." Drop your mag either into your hand to stow or just on the ground, rack your slide and let the chambered round just drop to the ground, hold your open action so that the RO can see the empty chamber (or lock the slide back and show the empty chamber). Don't go fast like you see some shooters do, with flourishes and trying to catch your round in the air. "If clear, hammer down and holster" means to drop your slide and either pull the trigger for most guns, or depress the de-cocker for DA/SA's, and holster your empty gun. Do NOT draw your gun again until the next stage. At this point, the RO says, "Range is clear" and people go downrange to reset and score. You can either mill about and pick up your mags and such or follow the RO as they score your targets. At the end of scoring, the score keeper will have you tap the screen of a tablet to accept your score. You are not expected to begin helping to reset again until you have reloaded your mags and returned to the group. Just take a shooter or two to regroup and get your mags loaded for the next stage.

I'm a new shooter who's a member at Chehelem Valley. I think the different clubs have a variation on orientation. My on-boarding was to complete the safety manual from Columbia Cascade section which can be found here:

http://www.columbia-cascade.org/index.php/get-started-in-uspsa/

After taking the enclosed quiz, I had to complete a live fire safety drill with a coach and compete in match without DQ. I've made it through that and will be at CVSC match Sept. 26.

YouTube is a great source, but so is observation. I went to sectionals in Dundee last month just to see how a full-bore match with all the bells and whistles would run.

@FiveSeven - no one likes someone who doesn't help. Tape / reset etc. While you are doing that ask those who are shooting in your division how they are choosing to shoot the stage. You'll get a lot of help - most of the guys are very good about doing that, and more so when you prove you are of good character.

Have fun.

With one caveat to what @RicInOR said: Sometimes too much advice can lead to confusion. Personally, I talk to people about possible ways to shoot a stage during that time when the squad first gets to a stage and everyone is trying to digest the instructions and the options. But then, once I get a plan in mind and begin the process of visualization, I get screwed up when people give me further advice.

Best and safest advice you could get that I have seen at many matches people don't do. DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTILL YOU ARE TOLD TO. I have seen so many people handle their firearms when they are not supposed to, and get DQ'ed. Pay attention to the RO and listen to everything he says and do what he says when he says it. Other than that go and have fun.
One thing from CHLchris first post is at DRRC we never use decockers. The RO wants the hammer/firing pin to be sent home on an empty chamber facing down range as the last safety measure.

Last Edited:
So I made it to my first match, it was AWESOME!
I went with the hopes of not DQing and finishing all stages.
I ran production and was 3 out of 14. so I didn't DQ :D.
I am already planing on going to my next shoot.
Thanks guys for the help.

Did you get a safety check from a NROI Range officer. this is required prior to shooting matches. Without the safety check you can be asked to leave unttil you get one. Not following the proper protocols is disrespectful to the sport and your fellow shooters.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top