JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up a new mark iv 22/45 pistol. The baseline model. Took it to tritac for the 1st time Sunday and was surprised how bad I shot with it.

Not sure if it was due to the federal auto match ammo or the stock sights on it. I just couldn't get as tight of groups as I was getting with my subcompact 9s, p365xl and xd, which both have tritium sights.

The black sights on the mark are a little harder on the eyes and the auto match is definitely subpar ammo. I'm gonna order a new front sight from tandemkross and use the cci ammo my next trip to the range. See if my grouping improves.

Just curious if other have experience with auto match ammo. My shots seemed to go left of aim and many went up and left. Meanwhile with the 9s I can keep fist size groups at 10 yards but not so much with the .22.

The Fed AM ammo is my second choice when the .22 is in one of the panic shortages so I have multiple K of it laying around. Never had any trouble with it so far but, as is common no two .22's seem to be quite the same. Assuming you tried it off a bench or good solid rest and it is the ammo in that pistol? If so all you can really do is try different flavors find out what yours likes. Don't know how old your eyes are but mine do NOT do well any more with the plain irons. :(
LOVE my MKIV but, without a dot on it any more not so good. The one BIG upside to the MK line is all the after market stuff. Damn there is a ton of nice stuff out there for these so have fun!

general 22lr ammo is inconsistent. Ive had the best consistency with CCI. Ive heard Eley 22 ammo is "match grade"

Just curious if other have experience with auto match ammo.
heres a target pic. Note: mine is a rifle with a scope not a pistol but this target shows the different group size with the Federal AM. The target spots are 1 inch diameter.
1693889582470.jpeg

TRY different brands, different bullet types and weights. Isn't THAT part of the FUN with a 22LR?

Besides accuracy.....note that some 22LR might not even reliably function the pistol (or rifle).

Aloha, Mark

PS.... a particular cheap ammo or expensive ammo....isn't always a UNIVERSAL answer (for me) when it comes to my 22LR needs.

Last Edited:
My experience with .22 ammo says that CCI standard velocity LRN is the most consistent affordable ammo. Works in bolt guns, semi autos and (obviously) revolvers just the way it should. So that's pretty close to exclusively what I'll shoot in my guns across the board.

Not the question you asked, however I find that when a working solution presents itself, I shouldn't think twice about using it

My MK IV gobbles just about any .22lr ammo but Remington not as accurate as CCI; Federal; Winchester. The stock trigger on it is pretty stiff. We put a red dot on it and it came in pretty good. CCI suppressed ammo at 970fps works great with can.

My experience with .22 ammo says that CCI standard velocity LRN is the most consistent affordable ammo. Works in bolt guns, semi autos and (obviously) revolvers just the way it should. So that's pretty close to exclusively what I'll shoot in my guns across the board.

Not the question you asked, however I find that when a working solution presents itself, I shouldn't think twice about using it
My experience also.

Joe

CCI is the most consistent bulk ammo in my experience.

Having said that, I was excited to try out my wife's MKIV lite and was totally surprised by how much less precise it is compared to my MKII and MKIV Hunter. I suppose that should have been expected with the lighter barrel.

Was looking at videos about sight adjustments on mark iv, mine does have windage adjustments, and found this video.

Don't think my issue is gonna need this solution but I figured I'd post for others. It's a little math heavy, lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top