JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a buddy who want's to sell his 1917. No idea what its worth
It's stamped 1917 Remington with a four digit s/n. It has had the stock sporterized and been drilled and tapped for scope bases. Overall it's maybe 60% at best. any Ideas on a fair price. I cant get pic's to post on here, so let me know and I can e-mail them to ya
Thanks

I saw a sporterized remington go at an estate auction for $175 today. In my opinion, they overpaid by at least $25 to $50. I would go no higher than $150 and that would only be if he was a good friend and the work was done decently on the rifle.

It all depends on how bad the sporterizing is. Whether or not the drilled and tapped holes are located correctly or are crooked. If the stock is any good. Whether the rear sight wings have been ground off and how was it done. Is the original barrel still on it or did they replace it. If replaced, has the receiver been tested for stress cracks (original barrels were put on at 300 ft-lbs of pressure and can crack receivers when removed improperly).

All these are good things to consider when buying a used Enfield.

Considering the things that have been done to the rifle, I agree with Mountainbear...it just isn't worth much. The further it is from military, the less value it has. A really good one in military condition (meaning not all parts are from original manufacturer, but are militarily correct) that has about 90% finish on stock and metal, I would think would be worth (to me) about $500-600. As long as it is NOT Eddystone arsenal.

Considering the things that have been done to the rifle, I agree with Mountainbear...it just isn't worth much. The further it is from military, the less value it has. A really good one in military condition (meaning not all parts are from original manufacturer, but are militarily correct) that has about 90% finish on stock and metal, I would think would be worth (to me) about $500-600. As long as it is NOT Eddystone arsenal.

I would add to this statement (which I agree with by the way), that I have seen very well made, custom rifles made from these actions that went for more than $1000. But they held very little of the original gun. The barrels, stock, bolt handle, bottom metal, and sights (essentially the rear bridge of the receiver) were all changed. You will still find some custom rifle builders who like working with these actions, as they are long enough to handle most any hunting cartridge (I've seen them all the way up to .458 Lott).

Mountainbear and I agree again.. Most of the value in the custom guns Mountainbear refers to are valuable on the merits of the custom work. The value of the original Enfield action as a collector piece is gone..now the value is because someone took the time to turn it into a wonderful hunting rifle. The enfield actions are long and extraordinarily strong (Eddystone excluded) so they make a wonderful basis for a custom hunting rig.

They are not very suitable as a target rifle as the lock time is slow, the firing pin strike very heavy, and the action would require more work than is justified in terms of cost, and labor time. Other actions are much more cost effective for a target rifle basis.

But as a military collectable, or just a wonderful shooter, the 1917 Enfield is a wonderful rifle. They aren't as well known as the 1903/1903A3, but sure are strong and a great battle rifle.

If the action doesn't crack on an Eddystone when the barrel is removed, its still a good strong action to build on. I have seen more Eddystones crack with barrel removal, though, so it should be at least dye-penetrant tested.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top