JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter came to me with a non functioning low cost 1911 she acquired, Besides very dirty it had a broken and missing ejector. I striped and cleaned it, found a colt ejector to fit so filed it and repined it in. I then took it to the range and ran about fifty rounds through it without fail. I cleaned it again and gave it back to her. she took it to the range where it worked without fail. Jump ahead a couple of months when she went camping but this time the ejected brass came out looking like this:
20180430_173855.jpg
Any opinions as to what is happening here are welcomed. Distance has so far precluded my reexamination of the firearm so further details as to the gun are unavailable other than I cautioned her to not use it till I could check it out personally.
Thank you kindly for any opine.

It wasn't a laseraim brand was it? Looks like the ejector needs to be a tad longer to eject sooner. Also could be short stroking due to too much recoil spring tension for the load being used. What does it do with higher pressure self defense rounds?

Edit: What ammo did she use at the range VS camping?

The brass is probably hitting the slide on the way out (ejector or extractor problem) or the ammo is underpowered and the slide is smashing the brass between the slide and the barrel. Check adjustment on extractor

Last Edited:
Like @40isforme said, I'd replace the recoil spring, especially if there is an unknown round count on the one that's in there. They are cheap and it's a good place to start. The new extractor probably needs an adjustment too.

Edited to add: found the picture of my Springfield that was having the same problem.

DFE9E178-CBCD-4B3F-BC68-BD7866ACC71E.jpeg

An extractor adjustment and a new recoil spring fixed my timing issue.

Last Edited:
I appreciate the quick response (though a lack if info on my part) this will give me some good questions to ask her when she brings it to me tomorrow.
I was wondering about the ejector being to long since I did not have the broken original as a sample and there were several lengths to choose from depending on the makers. Funny the issue did not manifest itself right off after replacement. As for the springs, those are good thoughts also and were not replaced when I cleaned it up but will pick some up @ shooters service center. It is not hard to believe they might be depleted from the condition the gun was in when I first got it. I'm a fairly recent owner of a 1911 myself but never having had an issue with it haven't had the chance to know much about them.

When stuff starts happening suddenly like this I want to look at other moving parts which could be fouled up with maybe a small bit of primer metal or brass flakes getting stuck in there.

Has anyone pulled he extractor out and cleaned the channel and inside the extractor hook? Couldn't hurt.

I now have the Gun in question in my hands. ATI, and though extremely low cost is well made in my opine. My daughter said it has never had stove pipe or any other jam / failure to fire since I gave it back to her after repair which is now pushing 500 rounds, she said..
The questionable ejected brass recovered from the ground, tally one, or maybe two, per magazine at the most so it does not seem to be a rampant issue. My replacement of the ejector is still tight and no sign of bending or fatigue. Since my initial testing after cleaning and repair fed all sorts of 45 fodder quality I'm discounting an ammo issue. I'm leaning towards a too long of an ejector as the exit port is rather modest in size compared to my Remington 1911 so may be trying to leave the gate too soon.
Only because replacement springs are simpler to do and reversible, I'll do that first before breaking out the file and emery cloth but hold no warm and fuzzy feelings it will resolve it. Tweaking more than one thing at a time never clarifies anything for me.
I'll up date things as I am able to verify results at the range, so some time may expire between test.
Thank you kindly for all the helpful input.

Ive heard that ATI makes excellent 1911s. I don't have a solution for you, but I have heard that if your in need of replacing the recoil spring its recommended to replace the firing pin and mainspring... you can often find these sold as a kit for this reason, and not very expensive IMO.

Ive never seen anything like that damaged brass. I'm not a gunsmith and just a 1911 fanboy... my understanding is the extended ejectors work well with lowered and flared ejection ports, the ATI being more affordable might not have that extra machining (?) and the extended ejector hits the brass sooner flipping it before its in a position to clear the port. Just a theory...

Id be curious to learn how you work this out.

If you do a Test Firing and can pin point which round in the magazine is being damaged and which ones aren't, it would be helpful. You do need to see if the problem is repeatable. It could be something as simple as a tired shooter. Because this problem can be caused by the shooter not gripping the pistol tight enough.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top