JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never worked on 1911 internals, nor do I have experience working on firearms that require "fitting". I have never installed a part on any firearm that has not just dropped right in.

That being said I am thinking about adding a ambi-safety to my Stainless Kimber 1911. My plan was to just order a Kimber Stainless Ambi-Safety just to keep the brands the same.

My question is though, I am reading reviews for this and half the reviews say it drops right in with no fitting required. A quarter of reviews say fitting was required, and the other quarter say your a dummy if you dont have it professionally fitted regardless of how it fits.

Do you guys have recommendations? Should I take it straight to a gunsmith and not think twice about it? Or should I just drop it in and see how it works. And if it works leave it and if not take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance!

The 1911 "Should" have the safety hand fitted, not because they are not a drop in fit, but they may require a little tuning to function properly! An ambi will require a different set of grip panels due to the retaining tab on the right side, but other wise its a pretty easy DIY deal! Youtube is your friend, there are lots of videos on this for you to get an idea of what's involved.
Your going to have to remove the main spring housing and main spring, and may have to remove the beavertail to check function and adjust as needed. you will need a Drift punch, a couple of small picks, some small files and a honing stone. Work slow and check often!

An ambi will require a different set of grip panels due to the retaining tab on the right side,

I think Kimber ambis use a different system where they replace the hammer pin with one that protrudes on the right side and and fits in a groove on the right side safety.

Of course, one doesn't have to use a Kimber ambi safety on a Kimber 1911... in which case yes you have to mill out a small pocket in your existing grip panel for the tab.

I have installed more ambi safeties then I can count. The ONLY ones I have ever installed that were actually a "drop in" part and required no fitting was the kimber brand. I am sure there are probably other brands but other then the couple of kimber ambi safeties I've done at the customers request, we hand fit all of the safeties we install.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top