JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a 1897 12 ga. 30" full choke at an online auction. The description said that it had been reblued and had a modern stock and forearm. I figured that it would be perfect to chop up and make a riot gun. There are TONS of old stocks out there to replace the new stuff.

What I got really surprised me. The bluing is really well done and about 90%. The stock and forearm are almost perfect checkered American walnut. Fit and finish is impeccable. I researched the stock maker. It was made by Bishop, who went out of business about 30 years ago.

Action works smoothly and tight.

Now, I don't know what to do. I feel kinda cheesy chopping up a perfectly fine shooter that someone put love, money, and time putting together. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to find someone who would be interested in preserving it and using it, or if I should go ahead and chop away. Steel shot would shred this puppy.

So, any thoughts? I'm not posting pics right now because I'm hiding it from my wife. She said something about a sleeping bag and the shed if I brought home any more "treasures. "

The Winchester 1897 ain't made any more....
I wouldn't chop one down , unless the barrel was damaged...

Another vote for getting a new made replica...or finding an original that is already configured the way you want...either by Winchester...or by some "cowboy action shooter".
Andy

Please don't chop it up. If my son does his hunter's safety class I plan to get an 1897 or 12 with a long barrel for turkey hunting. There aren't many out there.

Mine had a bulge in the barrel about 4" from the muzzle, so I didn't have a problem cutting it down.
I would keep looking for another one that isn't as nice.
As far as sourcing the bayonet heat shield, I wish I could remember the name of the company that makes period correct ones, as the ones Numrich Gun Parts sells are rather flimsy, compared to the one I found online,

I bought a 1897 12 ga. 30" full choke at an online auction. The description said that it had been reblued and had a modern stock and forearm. I figured that it would be perfect to chop up and make a riot gun. There are TONS of old stocks out there to replace the new stuff.

What I got really surprised me. The bluing is really well done and about 90%. The stock and forearm are almost perfect checkered American walnut. Fit and finish is impeccable. I researched the stock maker. It was made by Bishop, who went out of business about 30 years ago.

Action works smoothly and tight.

Now, I don't know what to do. I feel kinda cheesy chopping up a perfectly fine shooter that someone put love, money, and time putting together. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to find someone who would be interested in preserving it and using it, or if I should go ahead and chop away. Steel shot would shred this puppy.

So, any thoughts? I'm not posting pics right now because I'm hiding it from my wife. She said something about a sleeping bag and the shed if I brought home any more "treasures. "
I'd bust out the pipe cutter... but I have cut down probably 15 old shotguns, most people on here would say I am stupid for doing it to that "rare old gun".

Some inspiration!

870 1.jpeg 870 2.jpeg LC.jpeg

Non factory finish and even though I love Bishops socks, it's an aftermarket stock so almost no "collectors" value. If it was me and I wanted to cut it up I would go for it and anyone that says I shouldn't cut it up would be more than welcome to make me a cash offer for it.

Vintage shotguns with cut down barrels are still fairly common....
A few months ago...I got a Ithaca 37 that has a bobbed barrel....if you want a Winchester....just look harder..you will find one already cut .
No need to cut down an undamaged vintage shotgun .
Andy

Please don't chop it up. If my son does his hunter's safety class I plan to get an 1897 or 12 with a long barrel for turkey hunting. There aren't many out there.
This one would be perfect. I started out duck hunting with a '97 with a fixed frame and a 32" barrel. Bomb (kid) proof.

One thing to consider is the barrel thickness on these Winchester '97 shotguns.
The original trench/riot guns had a barrel marked "CLY" like this model 12 shown below.
It's thicker then the normal choked marked barrels and when you file the three half round slots in the barrel for the heat shield screws, you have a potential metal weakening issue.

1700687423418.jpeg

Put the thing together. Aside from some idiot marks from someone taking it down, it looks like and cycles like a new gun. Numbers match. Better than a Norinco by any stretch of the imagination.

20231122_133913.jpg 20231122_133733.jpg 20231122_133655.jpg 20231122_133627.jpg 20231122_133617.jpg

However...
You can always polish up the internals of the Norinco ...and once you cut the barrel of the Winchester....you can't put it back.

Sounds like you have your mind made up....and it is your shotgun...to do with as you will.
With that said...
I will repeat my advice from before and then be done here :

Vintage cut down shotguns are still easily found...look around for an already cut down Winchester...and keep this one as is.
Andy

Get a clone to mess with.

Something that old thats also been cared for has a story to tell and should be respected.

I had the same crisis of conscience with a 12ga wingmaster wearing a 28" smooth barrel . Couldn't bring myself to cut it down. Ended up scoring a second, vent rib bbl fairly cheap, but then ended up trading all of the above for a highway patrolman.
I'm happy with my revolver, and new owner of Rem was glad no chopping had happened.

So... Whats stopping you from just buying an extra barrel thats already been chopped? Theyre easy to find for sale, maybe even from the same people who cut theirs then regretted it and swapped back out for a full length. I found a chopped Model 12 barrel for real cheap (on EBAY of all places). Never had to cut anything and I can swap it out and the guns back to complete original in a couple minutes, retaining its value and history. And you get to be the cool kid with a multi barrel 'kit gun'! Sure its been reblued but that doesnt mean all inherent value is gone and honestly it looks like they did a nice job. And its numbers matching? Man youll regret it, trust me

So... Whats stopping you from just buying an extra barrel thats already been chopped? Theyre easy to find for sale, maybe even from the same people who cut theirs then regretted it and swapped back out for a full length. I found a chopped Model 12 barrel for real cheap (on EBAY of all places). Never had to cut anything and I can swap it out and the guns back to complete original in a couple minutes, retaining its value and history. And you get to be the cool kid with a multi barrel 'kit gun'! Sure its been reblued but that doesnt mean all inherent value is gone and honestly it looks like they did a nice job. And its numbers matching? Man youll regret it, trust me
I thought about that. I would either shoot cowboy or wild bunch with it, however the stock isn't exactly period. I don't hunt anymore, so I really don't have a need for it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews