JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rebated brass frame and cylinder with an octagon to round barrel, looks more like an 1862 Griswold and Gunnison Confederate reproduction. I think Navy Arms imported these. Not sure of the maker, other than one of the Italian companies.

is that a bone handle on the knife?

Rebated brass frame and cylinder with an octagon to round barrel, looks more like an 1862 Griswold and Gunnison Confederate reproduction. I think Navy Arms imported these. Not sure of the maker, other than one of the Italian companies.

is that a bone handle on the knife?

Maple handle w/ polished bone cap on the knife. The gun is a 70's Navy Arms Pietta, something I paid too much for at a gun show on a sleep deprived impulse. The cylinder was peenes from dry firing out of time with a broken bolt stop spring, and the trigger guard is cracked. $125 for the gun, I cleaned up the cylinder and replaced the spring. Next step is brazing the trigger guard and a reblue .

Will have to look closer to see if a Griswold. Thanks for pointing out the possible misidentification.

Last Edited:
I haven't gone down the G&G rabbit hole, but I'm pretty sure the rebated cylinder/frame to make a .44 caliber was the brainchild of the marketing department and not the result of historical research. .44's just sell better than a .36. I think the originals were .36 brass framed copies of a '51 Navy coupled with a dragoon style barrel.

Yeah that's what I worked out too. Pretty sure this is just a fantasy piece .

Otoh given that it's a beater, the flat top has just enough room for a scope base and small red dot :p

Probably just clean up and refinish it. Next one is going to be a 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt.

I know a guy that might know something about it lol @AndyinEverson .

I have a 36 caliber IMG_20190309_153835.jpg

I'm 99.999% certain it is just one of the .44 caliber fantasy navies that are sold. Beater revolver that I bought to tinker with, so I'm not too heavily invested in what little history it has LOL.

OTOH I am a sucker for cased revolvers of any sort...

I'm 99.999% certain it is just one of the .44 caliber fantasy navies that are sold. Beater revolver that I bought to tinker with, so I'm not too heavily invested in what little history it has LOL.

OTOH I am a sucker for cased revolvers of any sort...
When I bought this 36 Cal .
I could have got a 44 .
But the 36 was in better shape than the 44

When I bought this 36 Cal .
I could have got a 44 .
But the 36 was in better shape than the 44

If I had been paying more attention I could have bought a nice 1858 for a few bucks more. I want to get a more recently made .44 that has rifling better suited for conical bullets.

Eventually I'm going to put together some sort of cased set with a shoulder stock. Maybe make a Civil War style "vampire hunter" kit. I might use this beater in it, because I can mess around with weathering it and not really mess up a new gun.

I can never bring myself to spend the money on originals - yet. Mostly because I have other things I'd spend the coin on. I used to have Civil War used guns, and realized that was a rabbit hole I wasn't ready to go down, so sold them off.

Most interesting one was an M1840 musket with a percussion conversion that had been later cut down short, and turned into a post Civil War sporter. The barrel itself was likely part of a CW era barrel shortening, while the stock was cut and modified into a sporter complete with brass hardware after the war.

What was cool, was somebody had carved a unit logo into the stock for a unit in Sherman's Army of the Tennessee, but I can't recall which one.

Not bad for $100 at Cabela's.

I can never bring myself to spend the money on originals - yet. Mostly because I have other things I'd spend the coin on. I used to have Civil War used guns, and realized that was a rabbit hole I wasn't ready to go down, so sold them off.
So the pictures I posted .
I went shooting with Andy .
Last year .
Well I have been shooting with him a few times.
But anyway he brought this gun out that was 150 years old he loaded it up .
Picture #1 .
He let me shoot 2 shots then my sister shot 2 shots then he shot 2 shots..
And then put the gun away.
Lol

I was all about the new guns .
Until I met Andy .
he can tell you the history of these guns .
So like you I don't want to buy a gun that I can not shoot .
So I buy the replica guns .
Lol .
I want a gun I can shoot
My 50 Cal MVIMG_20180821_140746.jpg

I'm quite willing to shoot old guns. I just don't want to spend the money on them, as my historical interests lay elsewhere.

That's a nice rifle, I've got a similar one in storage somewhere. Should dig it out. I've got several books on the individual guns of the Civil War, which is where most of my interest lays.

I see from your avatar you just joined NWFA .
IN February .
Most of the stuff on here is all about modern stuff .
But there are a few guys that do the old gun stuff.
Accully on the April 13 there is a shoot up here .
On Whidbey island.
At Greeens gun shop and RANGE.
There is info in the event and get together thread.
And I am sure when @AndyinEverson .
Wakes up he will reply to our conversation.
Lol

I'm quite willing to shoot old guns. I just don't want to spend the money on them, as my historical interests lay elsewhere.

That's a nice rifle, I've got a similar one in storage somewhere. Should dig it out. I've got several books on the individual guns of the Civil War, which is where most of my interest lays.
Oh you and Andy are going to get along great .

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top