Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.17 Winchester Super Magnum: Here we go, Boys!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Spitpatch, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Announced very recently is Winchester's newest offering toward Rimfire enthusiasts: .17 Winchester Super Magnum. 3000fps. Case was developed from .277 Rimfire nail-gun propellant cartridges.

Savage will most probably have the first guns out within the month. Probably NOT the 93 action, but based on the current (larger) action that handles the Hornet.

Time will tell if this new offering takes off as did the HMR: beyond all expectations, including my own.

Price point for ammo is described as the $15 range. For those who have discovered the Winchester ammo as superior to all other offerings in the HMR ($13 and rarely on sale), this is not beyond consideration.

2. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

I'm kind of fascinated by this round I'm going to look into it.

3. bartman315

bartman315 Sandy, Oregon Member

Looks very promising, looking forward to hearing more about this....

4. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

same bullet weights, 17 & 20gr?

5. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I for sure will be getting one of these when they come out. The Savage B. Mag that's chambering it seems pretty cool as well.

6. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

best guess on ammo price?
    why not a 17 Remington? isn't that reloadable ??

7. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

just another flash in the pan wildcat cartridge, will fade out just like the 270 wsm........ oh wait I have a 270 wsm.......... nevermind.

2ndtimer and (deleted member) like this.
  8. lucky guy

lucky guy Sisters Active Member

20gr at 3000fps or so and 25gr at 2600 IIRC.

9. Spitpatch

1) see original post: price point at about $15 a box.

2) Yes, a .17 Remington is reloadable. A .17 Remington is also in a completely different power class (25g bullet at 4020fps). Comparing one to the other is precisely the same as comparing a .22 Magnum to a .220 Swift: Apples and Oranges.

However: For someone interested in a reloadable .17 at just above .17 Win Super Mag velocities (therefore somewhat comparable), another new offering has emerged: the .17 Hornet. I believe that in this case, Rugers will be the first guns out (another partnership between Ruger and Hornady).

As for sheepdip's quip:bluelaugh:, those of us old enough to recall the 5mm Remington (introduced in 1972), were absolutely certain the .17HMR would similarly fall flat on its face. (The 5mm was practically the same concept, only in .20 caliber).

We had to eat crow. Then we went out and bought HMR's and shot crows.

10. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

intrigued i am.....

and the list just got longer.

11. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Chalk me up in the "don't get it camp" :confused:

I'd rather have something that is reloadable or if it's going to be rim fire, cheap to shoot, like 500 rounds for 20 bucks cheap.

12. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

The .17 Incinerator is reloadable (.50bmg necked down to .17) :thumbup:

17-50-BMG-Incinerator-Collectors-Cartridge.jpg

17-50-BMG-Incinerator-Collectors-Cartridge.jpg

13. TylerDurden

TylerDurden PDX New Member

I talked to the Savage Rep at the Sportsman's Show. He said the .17 WSM B Mag rifle wont hit the streets until May @ around $299. You will have to wait until 2014 for a heavy barreled or stainless model. Ammo is going to be around $18 per box of 50 for the first year because only winchester is making the ammo. When the other manufacturers start making the ammo it will go down to $13-$15 per 50.

14. MicroManager

MicroManager St. John's New Member

All hail the Incinerator! Is that available in ballistic tip?

15. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The guys on Rimfire Central are all going a little nuts over this. Should be an interesting little cartridge for the sage rat and pairrie dog shootin crowd.

16. tcs#1

tcs#1 oregon Member

I'll just stick with my 17 K Hornet

17. Spitpatch

Now THERE is an example of conservative sensibility. (NOT to say the 17KH is in anyway conservative, of course.)

18. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Okay, now I am in the get it camp. I recently got a .17 HMR in trade on some reloading supplies I had and LOVE IT. After reading a few reviews, I think if I was able to do more varmint hunting the 17 WSM would be at the top of my list.

FWIW, the Sportmans off 82nd and JCB had a 1 box of Winchester 17 WSM on the shelf. I didn't notice the price.

19. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently bought a Savage 17 HMR from another co-worker and after he took it out and reported on the results I could tell he was not very impressed. He mentioned the bullets were quite susceptible to wind drift at the 100 + yard range and started losing velocity very quickly at about the same distance. His conclusion was it was at best a 100 yard or less round and I think he was expecting more.

20. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I'm lost...did this go from the .17WSM to the .17HMR thread?