JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i toom out the ol 17 and slighted her in yesterday at English pit in vancover ... I shot 4 doffrent boxes of ammo ..the hornady 17g witch didnt shoot worth a damn ... The cci 20g that shot ok ... The winchester 20g didnt shoot at all tho ... Only 3 outta 5 shots would go off if i was lucky. But the damn thingwas that it groupes the best outta my gun ...
I did however get it sighted in with the hornady 20g that would shoot a good group but outta 5 shots 2 would always be flyers

Savage 93 at 100 yards ... The hornady 20g shot good like no complaints there but i thought 17s could eat anything and spit out a one inch group ... Also i was more or less wonderinf if anyone had issues with the winchester ammo befor. I was getting goo primer strikes amd i think i only had one other missfire that wasnt thr winchester amo

i have one of these too and its great, no problems.
however my buddy at work has the stainless one and had the exact problem you do. we took the bolt apart and gently filed on the firing pin so it could move slightly further , problem solved.
the firing pin is just a flat piece of metal with a notch out of it to limit the travel and it was made wrong at the factory.
don't give up those guns are great........

In my rimfire experience Winchester ammo sucks the most by far.
Cheap mexican stuff shoots circles around anything Winchester rimfire I have tried.

however my buddy at work has the stainless one and had the exact problem you do. we took the bolt apart and gently filed on the firing pin so it could move slightly further , problem solved.
the firing pin is just a flat piece of metal with a notch out of it to limit the travel and it was made wrong at the factory.
So all i gotta do is pull the firing pin and file the notch out a bit ... I think ill stick with the hornady 20g ... I like the gun all in all and i plan on killing popcans out at 200 yards next weekend if i get the chance

In my rimfire experience Winchester ammo sucks the most by far.
Cheap mexican stuff shoots circles around anything Winchester rimfire I have tried.

Mirrors my experience with my Savage 93R17-TR with Winchester Supreme ammo, and their current .17 HMR offerings. I will get around to trying the Winchester ammo in my new CZ-455 when I switch back to the 17 HMR barrel. Running the .22lr barrel at the moment.

Winchester ammo in .22 cal won't function in my Browning Buckmark, but CCI or Federal, never a problem.

In general, I now stay well away from Wichester ammo in any caliber.

So i toom out the ol 17 and slighted her in yesterday at English pit in vancover ... I shot 4 doffrent boxes of ammo ..the hornady 17g witch didnt shoot worth a damn ... The cci 20g that shot ok ... The winchester 20g didnt shoot at all tho ... Only 3 outta 5 shots would go off if i was lucky. But the damn thingwas that it groupes the best outta my gun ...
I did however get it sighted in with the hornady 20g that would shoot a good group but outta 5 shots 2 would always be flyers
Any update?

If your getting random fliers I would take the time to free float the barrel and make sure the stock is torqued down correctly.
Also make sure the bolt is not gummed up if you are having light primer strikes.

So i got out and shot it today ... I mean i cant complane much cuz it shoots sub moa but i can get 3 holes to touch but the next 2 are flyers. I feel like its just the fact that its factory rimfire ammo. Also got out to 200 yards with it and i can sure kill a pop can lol.

+1 on honing down the firing pin. Its a common problem with Savage and Marlin 17hmr bolt guns (we shoot alot of sagerats, every year). My Marlin has 30k rounds and still shoots excellent. How old is your ammo? My hunting buddies and I found poor quality runs of Hornady, CCI from 2012-2014..keeping the barrel clean never hurts, every 300-400 rounds

Just an fyi, winchester has a recall on some lots of 20gr hmr ammo. I just emailed them this afternoon. I have 4 boxes of it. On a side note. Every different lot of rimfire ammo will shoot differently. Ive only experienced this with 22lr, 17hmr and 17wsm, so maybe not EVERY one. Torque # make big difference too. Flyers suck, but i always blame the ammo

I've shot 10s of thousands or rounds out of a half dozen different 93r17's and one modle 503 over the last 15 years. Aside from shooting the barrel out and absolute hating the accutrigger, savage makes a solid shooter

They are extremely reliable and accurate

I personally like 17g hornady, then CCI.

The bolt needs to be wet and a bore snake needs to be used every 50rds.

You might a have a lemon. Or a dirty gun. I would lean toward dirty

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top