JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have spent all morning on google with no success so I am turning here for help.

I am looking at picking up at least 1 new upper, I know now is a bad time. The reason I am looking now is because I found myself with an extra lower and want to build for my wife.

Right now many website will still let you order built uppers, but they are not giving time frames. They are also showing most of the individual parts as "Out of Stock".

I have been able to find a fair amount of complete flat top uppers for sale in the normal places, Midway, Brownells, etc but I do not want to add sights.

I am not being too picky, or at least I do not think so. Does anyone know where I can find either a complete upper, or in stock parts to build the following:
16" barrel, prefer lightweight but standard would work (M4 cut or not), prefer mid-length gas system but CAR is fine.

Picture from the internet for example and attention.

main-qimg-39c4b6d9f3f7bb8879e564fdb9df1983.jpeg

I'd suggest a Colt 6920 or 6720 with a carry handle, Brownells had them on sale just a short time ago not if the still do.

Appreciate it. I really have no interest in a detachable handle. I have been down that road, and I have some, just not what I need for this build.

Carry handle upper with rifle length sights and a midlength gas system (faux dissipator).

Sadly, lots of places out of stock. I'll dig through some of my links.

Carry handle upper with rifle length sights and a midlength gas system (faux dissipator).

Sadly, lots of places out of stock. I'll dig through some of my links.

Wasn't the "dissipator" a rifle length gas system with a 16" barrel? Basically there was only about an 1" past the FSB.

CAR = 6" hand guards
Mid = 9" hand guards
RIfle = 12" hand guards

I would appreciate the links. As I said one of my problems is the vendors that dont show "in or out of stock". Their system will let you order, but it is unlikely they are actually available.

Originally, yes, the dissipator was what you said. Nowadays, a faux dissipator is when people put the front sight block at the normal rifle-length location (for the longer sight radius), but use a low profile gas block at carbine/mid-length for the actual gas cycling.

Wasn't the "dissipator" a rifle length gas system with a 16" barrel?

It was, but they have faux versions now that resemble the old dissipators yet have a low profile gas block in addition to the FSB.
Some faux dissipator gas blocks are set at carbine length and others at midlength.. that is actually the trickiest thing to look for when buying online (IF you prefer midlength gas systems on carbines like I do) Far more reliable than the rifle length dissipator, but just as cool.

Do they make upper receivers with a carry handle anymore? I see bolt on carry handle now. I did get an Armalite Mid-length with carry handle as my first AR back in 2011.

This is a Armalite rifle and the rifle came a with simple 2 sling where could sling it over your shoulder only. I upgraded to Blue Force gear one instead.

I bought the original Elzetta Design LED light that fits on the bayonet lug and a Limbsaver pad. This AR has been in my safe for over three years and I am NOT going to sell it. It has real carry handle with a 1/9" twist chrome lined barrel. I can shoot 50gr TSX rounds, M193, M855, and 64gr Speer JSP.

It is a nice rifle but I am not understanding what this has to do with me looking for a 16" upper that is in stock.

My Armalite rifle is heavy with the carry handle and the standard mid length hand guard. I used MLOK for my built uppers which are a bit lighter.

Last Edited:
I hate to recommend them, as they took over 6 months and I had to threaten to get my money back from them, but TNTE did eventually build and ship me my correct upper, and the quality is quite good, as one should expect!

When it comes to the fixed carry handle retros, these guys are about the only ones left doing them!

When it comes to the fixed carry handle retros, these guys are about the only ones left doing them!

Wow, that is rough and I feel old now. I can see an A1 being "retro" but is the A2/A3 also retro now :(

Is it so bad to want a gun that you do not have to add sights/optic to use?

I prefer the "Retro" A-1 and A-2 Carbines, that's what I was issued and trained on and carried for many years until the M-4 came along! No fuss, nothing to break, snag, or otherwise get in the way, just a light, simple, and handy rifle when needed!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top