JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have a Daniel Defense S2W 16" barrel on my AR, but have found myself wanting something lighter. Holler if you're interested! icon_smile_big.gif It was not built to be a precision rifle, so the barrel is not the proper choice. Anyways, I am toying with the idea of going with a 14.5" barrel with the VG6 GAMMA 556 EX for a muzzle device (pinned and welded of course). Here's the caveat. I've got the SLR Rifleworks 15" Solo handguard (actually measures 14.87") on it currently and don't really want to change. Does anyone know if the VG6 EX is long enough to clear the handguard? Judging off of pictures, it appears that the gas ports are quite a ways up and don't appear to be angled backward. If I went with the 14.5" barrel, I would need roughly 3/8" to be at the end of the handguard. However, the muzzle device must be screwed down onto the barrel, so I am having a hard time coming up with actual numbers without having the pieces in hand. Anyways, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Just put a hand stop on it!

I did this with an AR pistol. 7.5" barrel, with linear comp and a 9" handguard.
They are about the same length.
And with the fireball that thing throws I try to not hold it towards the end

Permanently Mounted AR15 Flash Hiders ... Potentials ... Concerns ... Experienced ...

I do not know how precise of job the barrel maker does blind pinning and welding a flash hider to the end of an AR15 barrel. Based upon personal experience, (BUT many years ago) everything must go exactly correct OR IT IS POSSIBLE your barrel may not be as accurate as it could be. Quite some declarations. Here is why ...

Required procedure for a permanently mounted flash hider.

Drilling that muzzle end for the flash hider may not be a big deal. Mounting the hider permanently is no big deal. Driving in the blind pins could tweek the barrel. Welding the flush blind driven pins could also damage the barrel rifling. Heat. The Crown must be done exactly correct before the flash hider is permanently mounted.

Machining and polishing an exact target Crown is not that big of deal. Fun.

So what you end up with is a mechanical process involving drilling, pressing and definitely welding. All necessary to be legal. That flash hider once installed is installed for good. GAGING PROCEDURES might include a good visual rifling inspection plus running multiple slug gages down the bore. Tweeking sometimes happens.

Multiple progressively larger barrel straightness gauges if your have them are better.

The final inspection would be for the barrel maker to test fire that barrel at 100 yards for accuracy and key holing. That is not going to happen. Therefore it is the responsibility of the shooter to understand that barrel may be suspect until you the owner test fire that barrel on a bench rest for perfect accuracy. Good luck.

How important? Depends upon your barrel maker. Probability? Dunno.

Respectfully ...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top