JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm happy with my Pro Chrono Digital. Has a Bluetooth option to output readings to a tablet / phone, makes tracking loads pretty easy.

Most of the rounds from yesterday were loaded with a slightly different process.

Previously I'd: Size; Flare & charge; Seat; Crimp w/ FCD (I load 10 on a 4 station turret).
Yesterday's loads: Size; Flare w/ universal; Charge w/o belling; Seat - Then crimp on the single state with a Lee taper crimp die.

I changed the process (intending to use taper for lead coated, FCD for jacketed) because I got it in my head that 'sizing' with the FCD was problematic with lead bullets, and I wanted to use the easily adjustable flaring die so changing belling (lead vs jacketed) would be quick).

The taper crimp proved to be problematic, at least in the Lone Wolf barrel (I didn't have my stock barrel with me) - While the rounds would 'plunk' just fine, they had significant feed issues (previously loaded 'FCD' rounds feed perfectly).

I'm confident the die was set correctly, and it did produce the crimp I intended.

I'll mess around with the taper die to see if I can resolve the issue, but for now the FCD will be used for both lead and jacketed.

Most of the rounds from yesterday were loaded with a slightly different process.

Previously I'd: Size; Flare & charge; Seat; Crimp w/ FCD (I load 10 on a 4 station turret).
Yesterday's loads: Size; Flare w/ universal; Charge w/o belling; Seat - Then crimp on the single state with a Lee taper crimp die.

I changed the process (intending to use taper for lead coated, FCD for jacketed) because I got it in my head that 'sizing' with the FCD was problematic with lead bullets, and I wanted to use the easily adjustable flaring die so changing belling (lead vs jacketed) would be quick).

The taper crimp proved to be problematic, at least in the Lone Wolf barrel (I didn't have my stock barrel with me) - While the rounds would 'plunk' just fine, they had significant feed issues (previously loaded 'FCD' rounds feed perfectly).

I'm confident the die was set correctly, and it did produce the crimp I intended.

I'll mess around with the taper die to see if I can resolve the issue, but for now the FCD will be used for both lead and jacketed.

Silly question but what is FCD short for?

Updated 10mmAllPowders with yesterday's results (I'll try to generate a 'results' page specific to those loads within the next few days). Also updated 9mmAllPowders (link available on the index page).

Most of the 10mm loads are pretty pedestrian, but I'm building a baseline (for my gun) for working up hotter loads :)

All told 65 different loads were tested yesterday :eek:

Anybody know a good shrink :D

Hello Benchrest,

I have had problems with crimping my 10mm short & wimpy (.40). My FTC's cause the FMJ bullet to bulge a bit in front of the case mouth, and it's not always a snug fit. I started using a different method that produces good results. After de-capping, I size using a Lee "Push it all the way through" die. This is great for range brass that has been "Glocked", and might have a bulge near the head that standard dies will not remove, causing FTF's & KB's. It also de-burr's overly aggressive extractor clip marks. I don't bell. Why overwork the brass - first stretching it - then expecting it to crimp back firmly with a projectile in place. I just size, charge and seat. This usually produces better neck tension. I use a single stage press.
I know some would argue that this is an inherently dangerous round to reload, and that a crimp is necessary to avoid setback. But this is a slippery slope - the case headspaces off the mouth, so an aggressive crimp could spoil your day also. I have loaded thousands of rounds and I clock them at 1,350 using 155's and I still have all my fingers! I shoot a 96FSA1 and have never had a single issue with cycling.

YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER :)

Yes, got it, thanks! :)

But, 80% of what goes down my gun's pipe is coated lead - gotta bell the bubblegum outta that bubblegum so I don't strip the coating, and I only crimp to remove the flare.

:D

I think what Yoursupremecommandwr was getting at is your using fired brass according to the foot note it could be bulged some ( may be not quite smiley bulged though ) and he's using a pass thru die to debulge his brass.
I had this same issue so I got the Redding pass thru die and a Wilson max cartridge gauge and all my problems were solved. you really need to be doing this every 3-5 firings.
Benchrest if you don't have a pass thru die let me know and I'll lone you mine it does wonders!

Stacy

Stacy

Thanks for the offer! I do have Lee's FCD & Bulge Buster, but since I'm using my own brass, and it was fired through a LW barrel, I haven't needed to do a size pass through.

Belling for jacket is basically none, plated moderate, and fairly aggressive for the lead coated. I crimp to remove the bell only, as the 10mm headspaces off the case mouth.

Since many of the loadings are reaching, at, or have surpassed book data, I'm now using new or once fired (mine) only, saving the 2x brass for mild loads.

Any load that's pushing uses new Starline.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top