JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gocha! I just reread your original post and when you say "they plunk just fine" are you referring to using a max cartridge gauge? I only ask this because I had this same issues with mine. I size, prime, bell and then seat with a taper crimp die
And after I started using the pass thru and case gauge all my issues disappeared. I am shooting a Kimber and Witness Match both being on the tighter tolerance side. It got so bad for me I was ready to pull my hair out.
Just my experience though!!
Ps if you don't have the case gauge for 10 mm let me know.
Stacy

I don't have a gauge, just been plunking my LW barrel. I do need to get one :)

I did move away from the FCD to a taper, due to the influence of other's suggesting the FCD was unnecessarily resizing .401 lead loadings.

Doing so caused feed issues, so I went right back to the FCD (did no investigation into the taper die setup as a possible problem, will do later).

As I incorporate accuracy into the testing I'll certainly be looking at lead bullet sizing and FCD vs taper.

And the LW is quite a bit tighter than the stock.

Copy of my post over at 10mm:

Should probably take the position that a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work, but I'm having difficulty adjusting my attitude. Our shooting spot is in a shaded area, and while I've never had an issue with the chrono before, I lost the light around 1pm - or 2/3 through testing. Six hours travel (round trip) tends to set my expectations at maximum. Needless to say I've ordered a light kit.

D032 (Shooter's World Clean Shot D032-03, Explosia Lovex) has no load data for the 10, so I'm approaching things cautiously. Given Explosia's, and others, comments on how fast this powder is I'll likely not push it. I will comment that I really like the 147 cast 6.5gr load @ 1,240.

Vectan's Ba 7.5 & Ba 9 load numbers are wonky, I'll continue the ladder with hopes of something resembling a 10mm load.

3N37: Viht must have really dumbed things down, as initial factory data produced 9mm results (155gr @ 922fps, 293 ft lbs). I know there's potential, and I'll likely take larger steps to get there.

Until now I was singing only the praises of #7, and I still really like it's capability, but Longshot, Blue Dot, and 800X have decided to show up :)

Finally getting somewhere with #9... Seems like it started coming alive at 11.7, curious to see if the trend continues. Anticipating the 12.0 & 12.3gr numbers, and will load up to 13.5 for the next round.

I know there are bigger #s already out there - "no pressure signs at xx.x, acceptable case expansion at xx.x". I also realize there's little to no new ground to be broken with the 10. I enjoy this process, and in the end I'll have a library of loads that work in MY GUN(s).

Accuracy, it is part of the equation, just not now: Seems backwards to run all these loads, and have no accuracy information, and I concur... But, most 'stock' handgun sights and I don't get along, at all. My TP 9's are terrible, but I'm able to hit an 8" plate at 20yrds 10/10, and 7/10 at 40. I can do NOTHING with the stock Glock sights, nada, zilch. I'm going to look at aftermarket, and could really use some recommendations.

Random: Locking slide, I suspect it's my grip on some of the heavier loads - I'll adjust next time out. Temperature: I'm concerned that as I push loads, and test at lower temps, that perceived 'safe' will become a not-so-much during the summer (85+). To keep testing during the winter months I plan to keep cartridges in a heated cooler (70 degrees?), only taking them out to test. That, with running a hot chamber should-maybe reduce the effects of colder weather on pressures. Same-lot testing #s next summer will tell. I do acknowledge that I'm handicapping the results with such a small sample per test, especially when chrono errors happen. Unfortunately, up until now, it is what it is. The data is still useful, but it certainly could be more refined. Time is the factor here, and I'll either continue as is, increase the sample count / reduce the # of tests, or find more hours in the day. Certainly as development is stopped with some combinations others can get more attention.

Benchrest - I think I recall you saying you have QL? Does it show BE 86? Alliant doesn't show a 10 mm load for 135gr Rainier plated was going to seat 1.25 starting load at 9.gr work up to 11.gr in .5gr increments could you run that for me please and thank you!!:)

PS your more than welcome to use that case gauge to see if that is your problem just let me know and we can meet
Stacy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads