JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I made a trade and got a Arms core 10mm 1911...with only 1 mag
Am I correct in believing most of the 10mm mags will work with most 10mm 1911s?
And if so which ones work best?
I'm sure 1 brand is Wilson combato_O
I read in 1 forum the 45 mags will work too,but since I have to buy some I'll stick with the 10mm ones
As always,thanks for your response
Mike
ROCK ISLAND ARMORY
What a bone head:confused:

Last Edited:
Have you had any problems with your megars with feeding? I normally use Wilson mags in all my 1911's but for my 10mm I have read mixed reviews about them. I will still try them but want to keep my options open. It's a new (to me) gun that I am finishing up this week and am looking forward to shooting it.

Metalform is the one to get. If I recall they are the maker for the Colt 10mm mags....
regardless, they work great.

I would stay away from any that are flush fit 9 rounders though. I bought one from Wilson Combat and it just did not work.

I read in 1 forum the 45 mags will work too,but since I have to buy some I'll stick with the 10mm ones

some might work but the reliability question will always be there when needed most, I would stick with 10mm mags.... if you happen to randomly acquire some 45 mags keep them for range use. Its the magazine feed lips that are different and the 10mm have side ribs to keep them stacked better...

some might work but the reliability question will always be there when needed most, I would stick with 10mm mags.... if you happen to randomly acquire some 45 mags keep them for range use. Its the magazine feed lips that are different and the 10mm have side ribs to keep them stacked better...
Yeah I dont mind waiting for the right mags. I presently don't have a 1911 in 45 so I won't bother with them.
I used to buy Wilsons when I had extra money,but if there may be a feed problem I won't spend the money

I'll just do a range report in this thread,on the ROCK ISLAND 1911
Man you'd think a guy would know what gun he bought:D
So I pulled out the ammo can with my reloads in it. Flat nose,semi round and some cheapo hollow points. The gun put all three right where I wanted them with ease. I shot out to about 50 yards with great results.
BUT as someone said above the mags do fall out. I'm hoping this is the mag not the gun. And it didn't hold the slide on the last round.
Sights are very nice. Recoil isn't much different than any 45 acp 1911 I have shot. Weight of the gun is normal to the 1911.
Only thing (besides the mag issue) I would change is the Rock Island logo. But hey for a decently priced 1911,who cares. Use a sharpy on it? Lol
Thanks for the mag info,guys
Mike.

For my 10mm I've been using the Kimber mags with great success. I would suggest the Kimber mags or CMC mags if they still make the 10mm mags.

I'm not sure how well the 45 mags would work with a 10mm round, the feed lips hold the round in place nicely (better than I expected) but the width of the mag allows the rounds to move slightly and not always slide up the mag tube without jamming the follower. I would stake my life on this, but may work for the range and malfunction drills.

I have a couple Mec-Gar and Metalform mags in addition to the Colt mags for my Delta Elite. They have all cycled reliablly except I had to tweak the Mec-Gar mags to make the slide lock back when empty. They also seem much flimsier than the Metalform mags. I did run a factory Rock Island .45 mag in my Colt and it functioned fine but it slightly stretched the feed lips so I only did it once.

Wilson Combat mags are widely regarded as some of the best mags in the industry. I can certainly vouch for their .45 ACP mags but don't have any direct experience with their 10mm ones. I'd be surprised, however, if they weren't just as good.

Note, that with any 1911 mags I always suggest buying a single mag and testing it with your particular weapon first. If all goes well, buy as many as you need.

Metalform seems to work the best for me! My Delta isn't picky about mags, as long as the lips are not tweeked. Some mags are a bit loos, and some are nice and tight! My brother has the Rock Island, and has never ha any issues with mags dropping, or not locking the slide back when empty. I would have a look at the mags to see if your followers are rounded before I were to suspect a firearm issue! As for dropping mags, I would have a look at the mag release inside the frame and make sure it is fully extended into the frame when empty and push the release and see if it travels too far in, it may have to be replaced or at the least, the spring may be week! Another thing I have been hearing about 10 mm mags is that some companies are just stamping .45 mags as 10 mm and not actually doing any thing to make them run correctly with this round! Colt, Kimber, and Springfield have always been good. Best of luck to you! Great platform and a great round, Match made in heaven!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top