JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This has been passed down since it was bought it new (reportedly) in 1907.

My grandfather says he shot it about 5 years ago. I'm wondering what I can do to keep it in the best condition possible, so that I may be able to pass it to my grandkids someday.

Should I do anything to "restore it"? The texture on the metal in some places seems rough, not sure if that's normal for the period or if I can (or even should) do anything to improve it.

Pictures

kNFpx83.jpg

uh0AkKZ.jpg

QmqBVss.jpg

5ksDKFX.jpg

PXJB4Al.jpg

ZjfhOdt.jpg

B5HxNsZ.jpg

H7sXgNf.jpg

It's called a Military and Police (model) or a M&P, it's most modern version now is called a Model 10. It's probably the most produced handgun ever made, they have made millions of them.

I would guess it was made around 1920, if you go to the S&W forum they could help you nail down the date of production.
S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

There is little to be done about the finish or lack there of other then to keep it well oiled, you could have it refinished but the cost would far exceed the value of the gun.

Should still be a good shooter.

If you call the Factory at: 1-800-331-0852 they will give you the month and year the gun was shipped.

Your gun appears to be in really rough shape. There are a number of folks who specialize in "Restoring" old Pistols. But, a Restoration isn't going to be cheap and while it will make your gun look 'pretty' it won't be worth the cost, IMO. I'd send the gun to someone who can simply do a "Bead Blast and Bluing" finish. There is a gentleman named Mel Doyle in ID that does great work and doesn't charge a fortune. He's on the Internet.

Based on the serial number, it appears to be made in 1905 (Change 3).

I looked up Mel Doyle, but it doesn't seem he's taking on new customers. The email address I found came back and the phone number didn't work.

I don't really need a "full restoration" but it'd be nice if I could clean it up a bit for the next generation. Should I just look for another "Bead blast and bluing" service?

Clean it , maybe just a very light rust removal with brass wool , oil it , shoot it and enjoy it. Standard pressure loads only. I think this prior to heat treated cylinders.

That's the first I'd heard about Mel shutting down. But, he said it's time to retire. I can't blame him and he will be missed. I think your gun needs a refinishing. That's really the only way to stop the rust. I'm sure there are other people who can help. I just don't know of any. Mel had been there for a long time and I was used to him.

That's the first I'd heard about Mel shutting down. But, he said it's time to retire. I can't blame him and he will be missed. I think your gun needs a refinishing. That's really the only way to stop the rust. I'm sure there are other people who can help. I just don't know of any. Mel had been there for a long time and I was used to him.

I'll keep trying. If you have a number/email for him would you mind sending to me? Maybe I found a bad one.

Clean it , maybe just a very light rust removal with brass wool , oil it , shoot it and enjoy it. Standard pressure loads only. I think this prior to heat treated cylinders.

Ditto that, maybe have it checked by a gunsmith and fully cleaned at the same time.
If you aren't familiar with the interior of a S&W, it's pretty easy to screw it up if you take it apart. That's a job better done by a pro, or someone with experience disassembling them, then after that pat on the head and OK from the smith, just give it good care and shoot it, stay away from +P ammo. you really don't need to refurbish it and the handling marks and patina are from years of service and honestly earned, so I suggest you pretty much leave it alone, other the cleaning and oiling.
While stationed at GITMO, Cuba during the Missile Crisis, I was issued one just like it!

Last Edited:
IMHO I would do a full restore. Like what others have said it would far exceed the cost of the pistol. But to me a family heirloom is worth the cost so that it can be enjoyed for years to come from many members of the family.

again just my .02

Don't mess with it. Honest wear like that is hard to come by and takes many years of adventures and countless amounts of time and energy to achieve. Think of all the memories you will be erasing by "restoring" it.

I think your confusing honest wear with abuse. o_O

That gun was stored poorly.

This is what honest wear looks like.

which is how it could look with some restoration work. ;) Although with out seeing first hand it might be past that point and need a full on restoration.

By the way Medic that is a beautiful rifle!:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top