JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mini-Palma is a fun game and was pretty popular about 20 years ago ... but the difficulty in shooting a rimfire at 200 yards killed off the game. This is the same reason the 200 yd smallbore matches were dropped by the NRA ... few were participating.

It's a shame, shooting an iron-sighted rimfire at 200 yards requires wind reading / sight adjusting very similar to shooting the .308 Palma loads (stout .308 Winchester loads using Sierra 155 gr. MK bullet).

I've had good results with SK ammo in my match rimfire rifles.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would like nothing more than to see an upsurge in interest involved with long range .22 rimfire shooting. As things are now, and have been for quite some time, precision .22 rimfire benchrest shooters have sorta set the pace as to what .22 rimfire rifle manufacturers are putting out.
Benchrest .22 rimfire rifles need to meet certain weight criteria, so what we see most often are 16-18 inch, 0.9200 diameter barrels that try to emulate that requirement, and appeal to those who want to play along, but on a less competitive level.
I would love to see all the .22 rifle makers get into competition making reasonably priced target rifles, with good triggers and barrels so that long range competition can involve everyone from novice to experts without costing the same as erecting a new two-car garage. Then, some advancement would need to be made for a much better designed long range .22 rimfire bullet. Something like those involved with the .17 rimfire rounds that are more aerodynamically designed to zip along in a more stabilized manner. If a similar design of the .17 rimfire bullets could be done for the .22 rimfire, that might be a good option, though tooling up for such a project these days would be a costly endeavor.

Curious what the ballistics are on those.

Maybe do your comparison alongside some high velocity stuff. CCI, Aguila etc.

Well, I do have a few boxes of various .22 rimfire rounds available for the testing that I prefer to do. Been doing that sorta thing for quite some time now:

PWQqfmnl.jpg

"don't know of any currently weighing in at 50 grains. "

You might be right toward current offerings, but I sure have a pile of 50gr leftovers from my Rimfire Silhouette days.

Firstly: Apologies. ( to the OP who kindly asked): This morning I dug into my "Fibber McGee" "Island of Misfit Toys" ammo cabinet and excavated my remaining stockpile of Silhouette ammo and found these. (NOT 50 grain). 42grain.

P7100168.JPG
Secondly: Thanks. To those in the meantime that buttressed my statement of the existence of heavy bullet .22's. I know I shot many matches with 50's, but memory fails me as to brand. These must be what I finally settled on, because I have a modest pile of bricks of them, one with a Sharpie date in the early 90's.

I got out of the game when it became an equipment race, having held my own quite well up to that point with a Ruger M77-22.

@EHJ ...

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim."
~ Gustave Le Bon

I thought your tag line demanded a more prominent display!

Firstly: Apologies. ( to the OP who kindly asked): This morning I dug into my "Fibber McGee" "Island of Misfit Toys" ammo cabinet and excavated my remaining stockpile of Silhouette ammo and found these. (NOT 50 grain). 42grain.

View attachment 720492
Secondly: Thanks. To those in the meantime that buttressed my statement of the existence of heavy bullet .22's. I know I shot many matches with 50's, but memory fails me as to brand. These must be what I finally settled on, because I have a modest pile of bricks of them, one with a Sharpie date in the early 90's.

I got out of the game when it became an equipment race, having held my own quite well up to that point with a Ruger M77-22.

Actually, I was hoping that you had some 50-grainers stashed away. No apologies necessary. I do know for sure that there were some .22 magnum rounds that had solid 50 grain flat nose bullets, but I sure would've like to see those in .22 LR. Could you be talked into selling a couple of boxes of those .22 rounds as depicted? Would like to get those for my collection:
Mo9YRxIl.jpg
Gladly will pay for those and whatever shipping is involved.

Last Edited:
Target and subsonic ammo included?

Target ammunition at 1040, or so FPS and above, yes, but nothing like CCI Quiet at 710 or 735 FPS. That would be a useless endeavor, and by most, are not recommended for barrels that are 26 inches long. From my testing, the subs are only used in barrels up to 18-inches, and quite often suppressed.

I tried CCI Quiets in my CMP H&R M12.

I was thinking that they would sound like a suppressed rifle if they made it out the barrel.

They didn't!

But they were very quiet!

I tried CCI Quiets in my CMP H&R M12.

I was thinking that they would sound like a suppressed rifle if they made it out the barrel.

They didn't!

But they were very quiet!
How long is the barrel? The 730fps ones work well (meaning function as intended, not meaning accurate) on an 18" barrel fwiw. Nice and quiet on bolt gun with suppressor. As discussed in other threads, there are multiple versions of cci quiets. This is the 730 FPS one.

H&R M12 barrel length is 28 inches, and this one seems to have a very tight barrel based on feel when pushing patches through during cleaning.

20200104_140625.jpg

This is the gun I used for mini-Palma and other 200 yd. games. While not an Anschutz it held its own pretty well. It shoots better than I do many days! :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware there were different "quiets" out there. The version I have are listed as 710fps.

I am still trying to find the best load for my Henry Golden Boy. I have even considered putting an antique type scope on it like a 3/4" 6x Malcolm 18" scope. The 20" hexagon barrel should shoot pretty well, but my eyes are getting too old for buck-horn iron sights. I know that it prefers lead over copper coated and didn't like my CCI 36 grain HP or 40 grain solid.

I am still trying to find the best load for my Henry Golden Boy. I have even considered putting an antique type scope on it like a 3/4" 6x Malcolm 18" scope. The 20" hexagon barrel should shoot pretty well, but my eyes are getting too old for buck-horn iron sights. I know that it prefers lead over copper coated and didn't like my CCI 36 grain HP or 40 grain solid.
I wonder what stepping down in velocity might do, such as cci standard velocity, if talking about bulk-type (ie not match) ammo. No experience with that gun myself just thinking out loud.

Target ammunition at 1040, or so FPS and above, yes, but nothing like CCI Quiet at 710 or 735 FPS. That would be a useless endeavor, and by most, are not recommended for barrels that are 26 inches long. From my testing, the subs are only used in barrels up to 18-inches, and quite often suppressed.
Thanks for clarifying. So in your opinion the "long barrel to slow down the velocity" theory is false?

I have no skin in the game either way. Just what I've read and heard from others.
Thanks!

Well, I'm sure not any ballistics expert. But I've knocked off crows sitting on branches from around 200 yards using CCI solid-head (not hollow point) Mini Mags, a Marlin tube loader, and a 4-16 power scope. Sometimes you have to adjust windage to hit the mark. Works as long as the crow doesn't figure out you are taking long range shots at him. I once hit a crow from just past 200 yards using that setup, but he was pretty dumb. I had the elevation set on him (maybe six inches high) but the shots were going to the right. One round clipped the branch to his right. All that dum-dum did was hop over a bit to his left maybe an inch or two. Another adjustment on the scope...and pop. I caught him just as he was leaving the branch. He dropped instead...and I spotted a few feathers floating where he used to be. Admittedly, that was pretty lucky. But it can be done.

No big secret. I hate crows. :D

H&R M12 barrel length is 28 inches, and this one seems to have a very tight barrel based on feel when pushing patches through during cleaning.

View attachment 720674

This is the gun I used for mini-Palma and other 200 yd. games. While not an Anschutz it held its own pretty well. It shoots better than I do many days! :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware there were different "quiets" out there. The version I have are listed as 710fps.

Nice lookin' rifle! With a 28" barrel having 27"s of rifling, and being as tight as you say, yes, I can understand that the 710 velo Quiet rounds would take a nap before they seen the light of day in that barrel. Others have had that same issue also. As was already posted, the 735, or 835 velo Quiet rounds should do better in that rifle, and it would be interesting to see how quiet they really are in your fine rifle. I'd love to have one like it.

Thanks for clarifying. So in your opinion the "long barrel to slow down the velocity" theory is false?

I have no skin in the game either way. Just what I've read and heard from others.
Thanks!

Well, I just haven't found that theory to find its way to my shooting bench and the rifle barrel lengths that I've chronographed. I have .22 rimfire rifles with barrel lengths from 16 to 28 inches in length, which involve a CZ Lux and a Winchester Model 67A that are 27 & 28 inches long. So, as I posted, shooting the very same .22 rimfire ammunition with the very same box velocities (CCI Mini-Mags) over my chronograph, I found there was indeed a velocity gain as the barrels got longer. Again, the velocity gain was nothing to brag about, but my chronograph doesn't lie, if it does one good thing it measures velocity:
N3Lhhsc.jpg
bXDEHIml.jpg
The third screen is the "proof screen" that verifies the velocity recording. At the time of purchase, this chronograph was the next best thing to laboratory equipment, and was a bit pricey.

Well, I just haven't found that theory to find its way to my shooting bench and the rifle barrel lengths that I've chronographed. I have .22 rimfire rifles with barrel lengths from 16 to 28 inches in length, which involve a CZ Lux and a Winchester Model 67A that are 27 & 28 inches long. So, as I posted, shooting the very same .22 rimfire ammunition with the very same box velocities (CCI Mini-Mags) over my chronograph, I found there was indeed a velocity gain as the barrels got longer. Again, the velocity gain was nothing to brag about, but my chronograph doesn't lie, if it does one good thing it measures velocity:
View attachment 720939
View attachment 720940
The third screen is the "proof screen" that verifies the velocity recording. At the time of purchase, this chronograph was the next best thing to laboratory equipment, and was a bit pricey.

Thank you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads