JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a two questions for those that are more knowledgeable than me.

#1 - I would like to build a short barreled suppressed AR using the 10.5" barrel. I live in WA so SBR is out, but if I permanently attach the suppressor to have a overall length of 16" I assume I'm OK, correct?

#2 - Since it takes many months to get the tax stamp for the suppressor, is there any 'muzzle device' I can use to get the overall length to 16", so I can leave it as a rifle and not have the pistol buffer?

most of the long flash hiders are 5.5 and would still leave you short a half inch, ("overlap" from screwing it on) even if you found one long enough it would need to be permanantly attached.

using a "faux" suppressor might work

I do not own a suppressor so I really don't know, but I have done some research on them. As I understand it, at some point you will need to clean it, as they tend to foul over time. So, if you were to permanently attach it, you would have to get a model that could be disassembled while still attached to the barrel for cleaning. If there is one, that would be the one you would want.

What I would do (in your case) is get the stamp, and in the meantime, build it as a pistol. Changing the buffer from a pistol to stock type IMO is a trivial matter. Take only a few minutes. The only other thing that stands out, is some (at least Silencerco types) have rubber O rings on both ends. Welding the ends you would want to remove those or they would be ruined. I suppose every design is different to some degree.

I have a two questions for those that are more knowledgeable than me.

#1 - I would like to build a short barreled suppressed AR using the 10.5" barrel. I live in WA so SBR is out, but if I permanently attach the suppressor to have a overall length of 16" I assume I'm OK, correct?

Yes. Make sure you can properly "permanently attach it to your barrel. It needs to be either silver soldered or pinned and welded. There are some other options but it is documented somewhere on the ATF Website.

#2 - Since it takes many months to get the tax stamp for the suppressor, is there any 'muzzle device' I can use to get the overall length to 16", so I can leave it as a rifle and not have the pistol buffer?

As mentioned elsewhere you could use a long flash hider but it might be hard finding a long enough one.

I'm thinking of pinning and welding my Liberty Constitution to a short barrel (probably an 11.5") some time in the future. The nice thing about this suppressor is that the core is solid and you can unscrew the outer part of the can to clean it. It is heavy though - all steel.

You also need to make sure your barrel nut and gas system are either in place before welding the can on or that they can be added after (probably not the barrel nut though).

Some suppressor designs would be more difficult to permanently attach so make sure you do your research.

I wouldn't put a can on a 5.56....it's still loud...5-800.00 to drop a few decibels... And folks will still hear the gun fire for blocks, not miles... Seems a waste of money. Now a 300 blackout that's a different story.

5.56 can on a 10.5 makes a good bit of difference compared to non suppressed. It's not movie quiet, but quieter for sure. My 10.3" with a Surefire MINI is 14.5" overall, so you will need something about 1.5" longer.

It depends on the objectives^^^ when I put a can on something I want it quiet... Like cant hear it out side of the house quite. At 5-800.+ and 6+ month wait.... I would really think " mission specific."

While I generally would like to have something that quiet it's not really realistic for rifle calibers. .22, 9mm, .44, .45, 300blk yes. You can also use a 9mm can on a 300blkout for subs, pretty cool. Having a 5.56 can on an SBR could mean the difference between blowing someones hearing away and a slight uncomfortable loud noise. Mission specific for sure, but certainly worth it to many.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top