JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 10/22 that's more Volquartsen than Ruger at this point. Every time my daughters fire it, it jams. They fire it from a bench on a bipod. When I fire it, it runs perfectly even if I fire it identically. I can't figure out how it fails to feed, and fails to eject when they pull the trigger. The ejector is a Kidd. Trigger is Volquartsen.

I have a 10/22 that's more Volquartsen than Ruger at this point. Every time my daughters fire it, it jams. They fire it from a bench on a bipod. When I fire it, it runs perfectly even if I fire it identically. I can't figure out how it fails to feed, and fails to eject when they pull the trigger. The ejector is a Kidd. Trigger is Volquartsen.
That is weird. Do you load and insert the magazine, hold the gun and press the trigger the exact same?

Seems like you have the same thing going on as when someone "limp-wrists" an auto-loading handgun.

Are the girls just resting the gun on the bench and not holding it firmly enough to keep it relatively stationary against the recoil? If the entire firearm is able to move rearward too much when fired, some of the energy needed to work the action is depleted. That will naturally result in some instances of failure to eject and/or failure to feed.

Even though the gun is resting on the bench & bipod, teach them to grip it firmly, just as if they were shooting offhand.

Seems like you have the same thing going on as when someone "limp-wrists" an auto-loading handgun.

Are the girls just resting the gun on the bench and not holding it firmly enough to keep it relatively stationary against the recoil? If the entire firearm moves rearward too much when fired, then some of the energy needed to work the action is depleted. That will naturally result in some instances of failure to eject and/or failure to feed.

Even though the gun is resting on the bench & bipod, teach them to grip it firmly, just as if they were shooting offhand.
A regular 10/22 will run fine either way, but a high speed low drag model, who knows.

Are the girls just resting the gun on the bench and not holding it firmly enough to keep it relatively stationary against the recoil? If the entire firearm moves rearward too much when fired, then some of the energy needed to work the action is depleted. That will naturally result in some instances of failure to eject and/or failure to feed.

The bench is nice, but going prone would sort out this theory.

Shooting in the traditional prone puts not only your shoulder , but all of your body behind the gun. If a correct shooting position is used, limp wrist type jams would be impossible.

Last Edited:
There are mods you can do to make these more reliable. And trigger work without paying Volquartsen prices.
1715638361828.png

That is weird. Do you load and insert the magazine, hold the gun and press the trigger the exact same?
all except perhaps how I pull the trigger on a benched rifle. I can shoot off a magazine I loaded and inserted, pass it to my daughter and it jams. I shoot the next few rounds from the same spot on the bench, runs fine. rinse & repeat.

He's right, Tony Kidd makes some great triggers. :s0103:
Volquartsens were purchased long ago. And Kidd left a sour taste in my mouth with the barrel I bought. Sent bullets down range like one pellet out of a sawed off shotgun. I never got better than a 3 foot group out of it at 25 yards. (Stock barrel could do less than an inch)

My daughters are not going to lie in the dirt to go prone. I do have a match chamber in this one. Buit it generally is rock solid reliable

Volquartsens were purchased long ago. And Kidd left a sour taste in my mouth with the barrel I bought. Sent bullets down range like one pellet out of a sawed off shotgun. I never got better than a 3 foot group out of it at 25 yards. (Stock barrel could do less than an inch)

My daughters are not going to lie in the dirt to go prone. I do have a match chamber in this one. Buit it generally is rock solid reliable
I was kind of kidding, I'm pretty sure Kidd is more expensive :s0115:

BTW, same thing happens with a bone stock 10/22 and an SBR'd 10/22 even when I am actually physically holding the gun to prevent recoil. It is kind of maddening.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top