JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone in the group taken a 10/22 Takedown through an Appleseed event. I read a lot of reviews on other forums about there being lots of stringing and inaccuracy in the takedown models. I know tightening the barrel nut helps, but just curious if anyone else can substantiate that claim. I'm getting signed up for an August shoot but what be able to test the takedown with a sling for another week or so. Debating on ordering a new 10/22 compact model. Any input is appreciated!

Has anyone in the group taken a 10/22 Takedown through an Appleseed event. I read a lot of reviews on other forums about there being lots of stringing and inaccuracy in the takedown models. I know tightening the barrel nut helps, but just curious if anyone else can substantiate that claim. I'm getting signed up for an August shoot but what be able to test the takedown with a sling for another week or so. Debating on ordering a new 10/22 compact model. Any input is appreciated!

Maybe I'll take mine out shortly and run some various munitions through it and see the accuracy. More than welcome to join.

Last Edited:
several years ago I took the 1st day of Appleseed, before becoming ill. Totally enjoyable event, by the way.

My take-down 10/22 did just fine until the 'using the sling' portion; I discovered the loaner slings available were incompatible with me/my rifle. There was too much tension generated between the ends of the sling and (admittedly largish) myself as the fulcrum, causing an irregular pressure on the joint, which in turn affected POI considerably.

Since then I have observed the slightest deflection of the forearm easily affects groups. I have yet to address tightening the nut. Avoiding contact with supportive rest has decreased such opening of groups.
Of course that is not satisfactory solution.

I will be following the tightening procedure this summer to see what improvement can be obtained.
That said, the accuracy degradation I'm mentioning, relates to scoped 'minute of golf ball' at 50 yards, not 'minute of bean can' POI.

Maybe I'll take mine out shortly and run some various munitions through it and see the accuracy. More than welcome to join.

Thanks! I'm doing my orientation for ARPC and intend to test loads and the sling. I've read enough though to wonder if it's worth picking up a fixed stock 10/22. I know someone selling one for $185 otd with Volquartsen firing pin and extractor. Not a steal but not bad either. I know another member was selling a base model for $150 plus transfer. I was thinking of just cutting the stock down and calling it a day. Throw my tech sights and sling on it and running it that way.

several years ago I took the 1st day of Appleseed, before becoming ill. Totally enjoyable event, by the way.

My take-down 10/22 did just fine until the 'using the sling' portion; I discovered the loaner slings available were incompatible with me/my rifle. There was too much tension generated between the ends of the sling and (admittedly largish) myself as the fulcrum, causing an irregular pressure on the joint, which in turn affected POI considerably.

Since then I have observed the slightest deflection of the forearm easily affects groups. I have yet to address tightening the nut. Avoiding contact with supportive rest has decreased such opening of groups.
Of course that is not satisfactory solution.

I will be following the tightening procedure this summer to see what improvement can be obtained.
That said, the accuracy degradation I'm mentioning, relates to scoped 'minute of golf ball' at 50 yards, not 'minute of bean can' POI.

That was my concern. I cranked the tension nut down but am wondering if it's enough. If I get my range orientation done I can do some testing hopefully this weekend and see if it will become an issue. Otherwise, i'm considering picking up a fixed stock 10/22 (used) with Volquartsen firing pin and extractor for $185 out the door. Just not sure if that's the best use of funds.

"Thanks! I'm doing my orientation for ARPC and intend to test loads and the sling. I've read enough though to wonder if it's worth picking up a fixed stock 10/22. I know someone selling one for $185 otd with Volquartsen firing pin and extractor. Not a steal but not bad either. I know another member was selling a base model for $150 plus transfer. I was thinking of just cutting the stock down and calling it a day. Throw my tech sights and sling on it and running it that way.

IMHO......if you don't have more than two......buy another and start your build.

Your takedown can be used. However......yes, there are technical disadvantages. And, trying to make a budget rifle into a "tack shooter" on the cheap can be costly.

Huh? Rrrrright......have you seen the cost of some of those "parts"? But, it's your money.

I've never participated in an Appleseed event though I've built my own Liberty Training Rifle. I started with a plain Jane Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Then, I replaced the hammer/trigger parts with a kit from VQ. I had a Green Mountain barrel and Houge Overmould stock so, I used those parts. For a sling, I used an old GI web sling. As for the sights......I used the Tech T100 sights. Though kids now a days seem to prefer a red dot. And since I'm older now, perhaps I'll be switching to a red dot too?

I thought I had a picture of my build somewhere but, can't find it just this moment. Maybe, I'll post it a little later.

Anyway......I was posting to simply say that, Ruger's are so much fun that they just seem to multiply when sitting in a dark safe. LOL......bow chicka wow wow. I used to pick them up frequently when the prices were running $150 for a good used unmolested example. BTW, I prefer the metal trigger groups over the newer plastic ones. But, that's me.

Rugers-001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

"Thanks! I'm doing my orientation for ARPC and intend to test loads and the sling. I've read enough though to wonder if it's worth picking up a fixed stock 10/22. I know someone selling one for $185 otd with Volquartsen firing pin and extractor. Not a steal but not bad either. I know another member was selling a base model for $150 plus transfer. I was thinking of just cutting the stock down and calling it a day. Throw my tech sights and sling on it and running it that way.

IMHO......if you don't have more than two......buy another and start your build.

Your takedown can be used. However......yes, there are technical disadvantages. And, trying to make a budget rifle into a "tack shooter" on the cheap can be costly.

Huh? Rrrrright......have you seen the cost of some of those "parts"? But, it's your money.

I've never participated in an Appleseed event though I've built my own Liberty Training Rifle. I started with a plain Jane Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Then, I replaced the hammer/trigger parts with a kit from VQ. I had a Green Mountain barrel and Houge Overmould stock so, I used those parts. For a sling, I used an old GI web sling. As for the sights......I used the Tech T100 sights. Though kids now a days seem to prefer a red dot. And since I'm older now, perhaps I'll be switching to a red dot too?

I thought I had a picture of my build somewhere but, can't find it just this moment. Maybe, I'll post it a little later.

Anyway......I was posting to simply say that, Ruger's are so much fun that they just seem to multiply when sitting in a dark safe. LOL......bow chicka wow wow. I used to pick them up frequently when the prices were running $150 for a good used unmolested example. BTW, I prefer the metal trigger groups over the newer plastic ones. But, that's me.

View attachment 601391

Aloha, Mark

Thanks Mark! Yea honestly I'm thinking about picking up a used one or even a new compact model for $250. Not too concerned about a take driver as much as a reliable training tool.

OK...... I took new pictures of the Liberty Training Rifle. Seems that I removed the heavy barrel sometime ago. I guess it was about the same time that I removed the scope rail. Oh well.

GEDC1134.jpg
GEDC1135.jpg
GEDC1136.jpg
GEDC1137.jpg
IIRC...that op handle came from Ruger.

Aloha, Mark

OK...... I took new pictures of the Liberty Training Rifle. Seems that I removed the heavy barrel sometime ago. I guess it was about the same time that I removed the scope rail. Oh well.

View attachment 602139
View attachment 602140
View attachment 602141
View attachment 602142
IIRC...that op handle came from Ruger.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks Mark! I took my takedown to the range and damn near ran out of windage adjusting sights so it would zero. Had all kinds of issues with one of my new BX-25 mags too and stove pipes (mainly with federal bulk even with a Volquartsen exact edge extractor). Broke my spirits. But it did print 1" at 25 yards consistently with CCI standard velocity.

Going to order a 10/22 compact so I have proper LOP, sling studs, and free float from the factory. I'll toss my GI sling and tech sights on it and call it a day.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews