JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a SS 10/22 with a custom build in mind & would love some feed back. Barrel stock & trigger options? I don't have a set plan but I do need it to be utilitarian & I don't have a never ending supply of cash. All info will help, be it positive or negative, THANK YOU!!

i think step 1 is decide the look you want, then go from there.. do you want tactical? do you want similar to stock, do you want more target related.

What are you gonna use it for, hunting, plinking, competition, or a combination?

I have done very little to mine. Still has factory stock, factory (albeit threaded) barrel, etc. One thing I could not put up with was its trigger. Got a Volquartsen hammer kit for $40-$45. Brings trigger pull down to ~ 2lb. it well worth it.

You can spent a ton of money and buy all the aftermarket parts, or you can modify the OEM parts and get the same results. All info you well need is at rimfirecentral.

this is correct but only to an extent. e.g. you cant modify the stock barrel for accuracy, but you can swap out the internals of the receiver and trigger group for pretty cheap

and like others said rimfirecentral is the best for all this info, spend an hour on there and you will have so many ideas to build your ultimate.

this is correct but only to an extent. e.g. you cant modify the stock barrel for accuracy, but you can swap out the internals of the receiver and trigger group for pretty cheap

and like others said rimfirecentral is the best for all this info, spend an hour on there and you will have so many ideas to build your ultimate.

WRONG i setback and rechamber the factory barrels hand lapp and molyfusion treat them and they are as accurate as any of the custom barrels and more accurate than most of them. The secret is in the precision rechamber.

WRONG i setback and rechamber the factory barrels hand lapp and molyfusion treat them and they are as accurate as any of the custom barrels and more accurate than most of them. The secret is in the precision rechamber.

I apologize for my inaccurate info.

Never knew that, you really do learn something new daily, I have spent ALOT of time on RFC and never seen a thread about that posted. Is it expensive or just not very popular? Just from the sounds of it a replacement barrel sounds easier haha!

Here's what I did to my 10/22s

Butler Creek folding stock (I remove the rubber buttpad)

Clerke 16 inch heavy fluted stainless barrels. They are amazingly accurate. Butler Creek barrels are good, too, but no longer made

Volquartsen drop in trigger groups. Like night and day vs the lousy stock TG

Exact edge extractor. Helps immensely

Volquartsen Weaver rail so I can mount real optics

Inexpensive but reliable Target Sports reflex sight from CDNN

MWG 50 rd drums (awesome!) and Butler Creek steel lips mags

This package is extremely compact and will fit in a backpack

Cut the chamber back .070 then ream it with a Bentz reamer. You get a chamber that is nice and tight at he nose but the mouth is still large enough to feed a semi-auto reliably. The actual lands and grooves in the Ruger barrels are pretty nicely done. The very generous size of the chamber and the very loose head space both contribute to lack of accuracy. One reason you see some that shoot pretty good and some that shoot pretty bad.

There's no need to swap out any parts. With some developed gunsmithing skills you should be able to get a trigger down to any pull weight you want. Hone, stone and a .50 cent set screw and I have got down to a eight ounce trigger. Just my .02.

In my opinion, the largest and best website on the net pertaining to your build is www.rimfirecentral.com There you will find the answers to all of your questions, and a few you never thought to ask!

"WOW" there is alot of great info on that site. Thaks for the link!!
I may have to send you a bill, after reading info on that site I think one build just won't cut it.:s0114:

I would still love to hear from the people on this site also. I don't think I can get to much info.

I may have to send you a bill, after reading info on that site I think one build just won't cut it.:s0114:

I would still love to hear from the people on this site also. I don't think I can get to much info.

we cant help you until we know where your headed. its like going to a gas station to ask for directions, and when he says where you headed you say you tell me :s0112:

If your looking for a compact lightweight backpacking rifle I dont want to say stick a 22" SS BBL on there and a nortic chassis complete with full AR15 goodies :D

I may have to send you a bill, after reading info on that site I think one build just won't cut it.

10/22itius can be hazardous to your wallet. You can apply all the DIY mods with oem parts and get a very good shooter.

+1 to rfc, and I had no idea pinkhammr was a resident expert!! Nice to know.

Action- Search RFC for the DIY's, if you can't find them let me know and I'll hunt my computer. You can get a very very nice light trigger with factory parts and some time!

save your money for the best optics,& trigger/ spring kit, you can afford. 3rd would be on a bbl. but you'll never know how good your factory bbl can shoot with a cheap scope, and $hitty trigger. my $.02, good luck!

+1 to rfc, and I had no idea pinkhammr was a resident expert!! Nice to know.

Action- Search RFC for the DIY's, if you can't find them let me know and I'll hunt my computer. You can get a very very nice light trigger with factory parts and some time!

:s0114: Not a resident expert ... just have a lot of them that I have built .... :D

I looked at buying a performance trigger, & decided to man up & try to work my own. I did allot of reading up & took my trigger group apart. About 15 hours, Some sanding, lapping, polishing, disassembling it and reassembling it 20-30 times, a dozen trips to the range (for testing) I now have a crisp clean 3lb. trigger with no creep or over tavel, it does have some pre travel (not enough to bother me) Not bad for all stock Ruger parts & my first time I have taken one of these apart.

I also took a file to my bolt release, I now have an auto bolt release.

I felt fairly ballsy so I also reshaped the back of my bolt & did some other fine tuning, It now cycles subsonic ammo like a dream.

I'm leaning toward a fluted aluminum barrel, still on the fence about a stock.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top