Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WTB OR 1/2" UMHW sheet material or 1/4" Aluminum sheet Local?

Discussion in 'Non-Firearm Items Wanted' started by John Gault, Jan 31, 2016.

1. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Best local place to find either of these items? Approx. size on either: 18" x 30"

Looking for local places that stock either...

2. tikkahunter

tikkahunter dundee Member

For the uhmw try professional plastic on 95th in Tualatin I cot a 25x36 cutting board from them and it was cheaper than anyplace else

3. John Gault

Remember what that cost was?

Looks like TAP plastic at 1/2"x 18 x 30 would be just under 50.00

4. tikkahunter

tikkahunter dundee Member

It was 1/2" I think and it was 35or37 and the cutting baord material was little more expensive than regular uhmw it's textured
    In my experience tap is way overpriced and professional plastic people were way nicer to talk to

John Gault likes this.
  5. John Gault

I can cover the whole table 30 x 36 in 3/4" fancy finish and sanded plywood for $25.00 but was hoping either aluminum plate or UMHW would not be prohibitive..

I purchased another stainless table for putting a reloading setup on and found that the press setup causes some flex in the table top and want to add something to stiffen up the table... Arggh

Last table worked great with just the small aluminum RCBS press mount plate but I'm putting this one on a riser and the press is much larger also... Lessons learned.

6. John Gault

I'm about an hour drive from there (each way) and even with $2.00/gal gas .......

7. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

John
    Post me a picture of your bench /box need to see to put my 2 cents in . I'm getting no flex on mine . It's 1.5 thick on mine and I just used four 1/4-20 blots and washers.

If I had flex, I was gonna use 1/4" flat bar 1" wide front to back on each side of the in line mount. But don't see a need, if it starts to flex I will go that route.

20151224_092022.jpg

20151224_092022.jpg

8. John Gault

Yeah, I saw your setup at Costco when I returned the first of the tables they shipped me and came in bent beyond belief from shipping from China.. I should have known then that I'd made a judgement in error.... How can we possibly NOT build a stainless steel table in the US cheaper than making and shipping from China?? PS: we ship our scrap steel to them from here and they manufacture finished product to sell to us. Table was $ 195.00
    I must get to the task of building up a small arsenal of ammo..

9. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

Hummm
    Well I did do an inspection at the store, ad them unbox it and they were good with that. After checking it I took that sane one home.

You may of not had a way to transport it from the way it sounds as it was shipped to you.

Will let ya get back to making ammo.

Hope when I vote, America will be great again and those items will be made in the USA.

10. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Give Northwest Technologies a call. They are in Estacada and have lots of scrap alum plate of all sizes and thickness. And can cut it to size needed.

503 630 2030

11. John Gault

Nice call. I used to do business with Eric there!!

Velzey likes this.
  12. John Gault

I went to the store before ordering online but they didn't have anything similar in house so I knew I was taking a chance on the shipping. I bought the last two reloading "benches" off of Craigslist but got impatient....

13. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

If you have not been out there for awhile your in for a shock. Eric has 5 buildings now and still growing!

14. John Gault

Not suprised based on my previous purchasing experience with him.... I just read his "about us" and think that is an amazing story.... I was sweeping floors at 16 also. Good work ethics early ( I delivered papers door to door) at 10 yrs old also . It's a different world today.

15. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Cherry City Metals in Salem has a Pile of Stainless sheet stock as well as aluminum at used material prices. They do not cut sheet material on site.

16. John Gault

Follow up.....
    Never heard back from Northwest technologies. I was kind of disappointed but I probably didn't even meet their minimum.

I stopped by Clackamas Steel and they had a pretty good selection of aluminum stainless and A36. Aluminum 3/16" drop was going to end up costing me $40 plus more time to drill. Decided to go back to Home Depot and get some nice three quarter inch maple finished smooth plywood. A 2x4 sheet was 16 bucks and they cut it to size for free..
    Works well no flex.
    Waiting for a replacement small primer pin from RCBS and I can start making some ammo.