JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went and got a Kuhl base layer shirt out of boiled Marino wool. This process makes the wool soft as cashmere and is supposed to wick much like man made fibers. They sure aren't lying about the softness! :confused:Once again, sticker shock! $85,!!!:confused:

What exactly is that . I had not heard of it before?

Man, you got a HUGE blade! :eek: I have the same length on an 066 Magnum.. man that thing is heavy, I bought a 441 last year with 20 inch bar, it's a real improvement for smaller stuff, and uses WAY less gas
It is an MS 461R with a 28" bar IIRC.

Actually a bit too long, but that is what they had in the shop. I am thinking I need a 20" bar for most of my cutting, but the 28" is nice for the stumps and a few of the big logs they left behind. If I ever have to cut a tree that needs that bar, it will most likely be one that falls in a windstorm. I don't want to fall one that big myself.

It is a bit heavy, plenty of power though. I got a large saw because I wanted to power other things like an auger or a drill or a winch with it. I could use a lighter saw. I have a Stihl Kombi with a pruning saw on the end, but it too is a bit unwieldy because the power shaft is so long - I am thinking of ways to attach the saw closer to the power head.

It is an MS 461R with a 28" bar IIRC.

Actually a bit too long, but that is what they had in the shop. I am thinking I need a 20" bar for most of my cutting, but the 28" is nice for the stumps and a few of the big logs they left behind. If I ever have to cut a tree that needs that bar, it will most likely be one that falls in a windstorm. I don't want to fall one that big myself.

It is a bit heavy, plenty of power though. I got a large saw because I wanted to power other things like an auger or a drill or a winch with it. I could use a lighter saw. I have a Stihl Kombi with a pruning saw on the end, but it too is a bit unwieldy because the power shaft is so long - I am thinking of ways to attach the saw closer to the power head.

Your truck skewed my optical scales. My 066 has a 36 inch bar and I've dropped trees on my land requiring more than it's length (plunge cutting) when you need a big blade nothing can substitute, but it's not everyday

You can see very round in the truck could have been easily cut with a 20" bar. If I had to fall the tree next to the truck, then it would be handy to have a 28" bar, but like I said I simply wouldn't do that myself, I would let a pro do it instead - and I did.

What you see there is the result of fairly heavy thinning done back in February. Before the thinning I probably would not have been able to get my truck back there - at least not so easily as I did yesterday.

But if tree fell across the road because of wind, it is nice to have a good size saw to buck it up.

In escrow on a house right now. Keep your fingers crossed for us. It's in town, but on the eastern edge. One acre with a well. The plan is to set the well up on solar power, or at least as backup, but water is only 10 feet down, so a hand pump could work as a back up instead. Small older house with some issues, but nice sized kitchen, real fireplace (not pellet) room for a garden, and a shop to make my man happy :D It's been a challenge because we still have property in Kalifornia that we haven't sold, so qualifying and down payment have been tough. I ended up cashing in my state retirement for the down and we sold the tractor :( We felt we needed to get something now and not wait because there is already a housing shortage here that is going to get worse once Tesla, Apple and other corporations finish moving here from Kalifornia also. It will be nice to get out of this duplex we are renting and get my preps out of storage. I've been very nervous about having them behind an electric gate.

Once the Kalifornia house sells, I can reinvest the cash for retirement and have some left over for some property in the mountains. But right now, there is this urgency to get SOMETHING. So that has been my prepping lately. Working on all the things we need to close escrow.

Down to $1,000 remaining on the American Express. That's been my prepping.

6 Months ago that card was sitting at $24,000+ in the hole. Whew...

Picked up 6 more UHF/VHF handheld radios so all the kids now have one. Met with the whole family to discuss bugging out.

When to bug out, where to go, what to look for in the way of warning signs that it's time to bug out.

Those handhelds won't have nearly enough range to get from Vancouver out to our place, but it will allow them to coordinate in town, meet at one of the pre-planned meeting areas and plan their route to our BOL.

I'll be able to head towards civilization and connect with them from 10-15 miles out and coordinate the final meet-up and get them safely with me.

I'm also programming some of these prepper frequencies into the radios as well.

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/shtf-survivalist-radio-frequency-list/

In the process of taking classes for my ham license. YAAAWWWNNNN. Should have just done like everyone else and took the practice tests over and over again until I passed it.

In the process of taking classes for my ham license. YAAAWWWNNNN. Should have just done like everyone else and took the practice tests over and over again until I passed it.
When I was in college that is what a lot of people did for their GROL.

I have a terrible memory, so I just worked through the problems until I got a good feel for what they were asking - I scored pretty high and got my RADAR endorsement too.

Unfortunately a GROL doesn't mean anything for Amateur Radio, and I have forgotten almost all of it anyway in the last 30 years. But I will pick it up again. At least they don't require Morse code anymore.

Down to $1,000 remaining on the American Express. That's been my prepping.

6 Months ago that card was sitting at $24,000+ in the hole. Whew...

Picked up 6 more UHF/VHF handheld radios so all the kids now have one. Met with the whole family to discuss bugging out.

When to bug out, where to go, what to look for in the way of warning signs that it's time to bug out.

Those handhelds won't have nearly enough range to get from Vancouver out to our place, but it will allow them to coordinate in town, meet at one of the pre-planned meeting areas and plan their route to our BOL.

I'll be able to head towards civilization and connect with them from 10-15 miles out and coordinate the final meet-up and get them safely with me.

I'm also programming some of these prepper frequencies into the radios as well.

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/shtf-survivalist-radio-frequency-list/

Debt is pure evil, good on you

So here's my take on it Angie.

I got my first radio before I had my license. I started programming it and listening to conversations over the repeaters. That doesn't require your license to do, but I found myself occasionally wanting to chime in on something. (Especially on the swap nets where they trade radio gear)

My recommendation (And what I did) is yes, study the test answers and get your certification. That matters more than anything.

If you have zero interest in learning about radios? Then you are only looking to use a radio during SHTF times anyway, so the license doesn't matter.

If, on the other hand you are interested in learning about HAM radio, then get your tech license and you can hit that talk button.

Studying (and memorizing, and understanding) the test questions gives you the basic knowledge you need.

Before I had my license, I had built my own J-Pole 2 Meter antenna, and repaired my first radio.

I've been tinkering and working with Radios for about a year now, and it's a whole different animal working on the General class license, so that'll be fun.

Don't let "Lack of Mastery" prevent you from STARTING down the road. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top